Utility Bill

Shiver

I wonder if anyone has any pointers on this. I have a need to show a utility bill as part of an identification process. I'm in rented accomodation, and have tried to put the water, electricity and landline telephone in my own name, but have been refused on the basis that either I don't own the property, or because I'm Farang. Does anyone have any ideas on this? The only possible way forward I can see is to get a bank account then get a mobile phone contract paid directly. Seems like a crazy way to fulfill a security check.

Edited by Shiver

Unless you have a yellow tabian baan you're stuck. You just can't get a utility bill in your own name.

For authorisation purposes it's highly unlikely that a mobile 'phone bill or satellite TV bill would be accepted (at least with European financial institutions).

Most institutions will accept a bank statement in your name, but most Thai banks are passbook based and don't issue statements. It is possible to ask for your bank to produce a written statement in English. Some will, some won't.

Alternatively, open a Krung Thai bank fixed deposit account (for one year or more). Krung Thai issues paper statements every six months for these account. You'll then need to get a certified translation.

Another alternative might be a letter from your embassy. I've used such a letter successfully to open a brokerage account in Luxembourg, even though the embassy doesn't have a clue where you live, and the letter only says that you've said you live at such-and-such an address, and they don't have any evidence to the contrary. Of course, such letters are expensive.

I'm in a rented condo and had no problem putting the landline phone in my name, just went to the True office in Fortune Tower, I am not on any tabian baan, yellow, blue or any colour.

Yes, it can be done.

But even if you got the utility bill in your name the address would still be in Thai.

Have you got a drivers licence? Get a certified copy of the license and a certified translation of it and that should do.

I got my local bank here to certify my address and a copy of my passport. Authentication by a bank official is one of the documentary evidences accepted.

But even if you got the utility bill in your name the address would still be in Thai.

Have you got a drivers licence? Get a certified copy of the license and a certified translation of it and that should do.

I got my local bank here to certify my address and a copy of my passport. Authentication by a bank official is one of the documentary evidences accepted.

You can do the same with your utility bill(s). Just have them translated for a few hundred Baht each and then have them 'legalized' by the MFA as a correct translation.

:)

Edited by Heng

True, was assuming this was for an offshore bank account, as that utility bill thing is a common request (with a lot of HK and Singapore banks for example). Does HSBC, Standard Chartered, etc. in Thailand require foreigners to produce a local utility bill (for locals they are satisfied with the bee's knees Thai ID card)?

Edited by Heng

I'm in a rented condo and had no problem putting the landline phone in my name, just went to the True office in Fortune Tower, I am not on any tabian baan, yellow, blue or any colour.

Yes, it can be done.

I get both TT&T and Maxnet phone bills in my name and address in English, don't understand the problem. No tabien baen or anything like that.

True, was assuming this was for an offshore bank account, as that utility bill thing is a common request (with a lot of HK and Singapore banks for example). Does HSBC, Standard Chartered, etc. in Thailand require foreigners to produce a local utility bill (for locals they are satisfied with the bee's knees Thai ID card)?

It's to open Merchant Account facilities with a Dutch facilitator for our HK company. Business too difficult to even contemplate in Thailand. I have nothing in Thailand, not even a bank account. Just a suitcase :)

They did specifically state that a bank statement *wasn't* acceptable. They want passport, articles of incorporation etc. All doable except this *$!%&? utility bill. They won't be able to read it anyhow.

Edited by Shiver

Then it sounds like the utility bill translated and then 'legalized' by MFA (I think a lot of translation companies offer to go to the MFA for you for a fee if you're not in Bangkok) is the way to go.

Unless you have a yellow tabian baan you're stuck. You just can't get a utility bill in your own name.

For authorisation purposes it's highly unlikely that a mobile 'phone bill or satellite TV bill would be accepted (at least with European financial institutions).

Most institutions will accept a bank statement in your name, but most Thai banks are passbook based and don't issue statements. It is possible to ask for your bank to produce a written statement in English. Some will, some won't.

Alternatively, open a Krung Thai bank fixed deposit account (for one year or more). Krung Thai issues paper statements every six months for these account. You'll then need to get a certified translation.

Another alternative might be a letter from your embassy. I've used such a letter successfully to open a brokerage account in Luxembourg, even though the embassy doesn't have a clue where you live, and the letter only says that you've said you live at such-and-such an address, and they don't have any evidence to the contrary. Of course, such letters are expensive.

Thai companies often want to see that you are receiving mail at an address as proof of residence.

Credit card bills, internet(true), telephone(true tot), CAT, drinking water(sprinkle), Cable(true) are all in my name at my home address with no tabien baan, yellow or otherwise. in some of these cases they wanted to see another bill as proof of address

I think finally I have a solution, in that TT&T who provide my internet have said that I can do the name change. I just need the cooperation of the existing name on the contract, which fortunately is a Thai friend that is still in town. That plus passport, driving licence, a few photocopies, a few forms filled in etc. That's the theory anyway. Will report back tomorrow.

I think finally I have a solution, in that TT&T who provide my internet have said that I can do the name change. I just need the cooperation of the existing name on the contract, which fortunately is a Thai friend that is still in town. That plus passport, driving licence, a few photocopies, a few forms filled in etc. That's the theory anyway. Will report back tomorrow.

I just spoke to a friend in Jomtien, who couldn't understand what the issue is. His GF went to check on the procedure for putting bills in a Farang name, and she said they looked at her like she was crazy, with words to the effect of "of course you can change the bills to a Farang name, why would you think otherwise?" Must be an Isaan thing, other parts of the country seem to be functioning better.

I use my TOT bill, not in my name, but the people in the western world can't read Thai script, they just match up the address and assume you are the person on the bill. Same for electricity or water. Course the names on all the bills were my landlady, but it was accepted as ID.

The alternative way is, get the company who want proof of address to write a letter to you, at said address, then sign and return their letter, they even let me return the letter as an email.

I use my TOT bill, not in my name, but the people in the western world can't read Thai script, they just match up the address and assume you are the person on the bill. Same for electricity or water. Course the names on all the bills were my landlady, but it was accepted as ID.

The alternative way is, get the company who want proof of address to write a letter to you, at said address, then sign and return their letter, they even let me return the letter as an email.

LOL, I did that one time with Lloyds when they wrote and asked for proof of address, confused the sh*t out of them for a while but they finally accepted it after they 'phoned me.

Couldn't the OP get his company to certify his address on official company letterhead? I've had that accepted before also.

That's what I had to do when I got a Post Office Box in Bangkok, the Post Office sent a card to my home address which I had to take back to them, of course I also had to give them the obligatory copy of my passport.

Slightly off topic, I wonder how many people and organisations I have given a copy of my passport to over the years.

My TOT phone number is in my name in Bangkok. I didn't go to the office myself, I sent a messenger with photocopies of my passport. They installed the phone line and internet without even meeting me.