I'M About To Buy A Property And The Farang Owner Doesn'T Even Know It'S Being Sold!

The guy has probably moved on......do people really get upset over a couple of mill baht house they never really owned?

do they? I know that I would get very seriouly pissed off if somebody tried to make a fast buck at my expense, maybe I would have no legal rights but ferk the law, just burn it down, if I lose so do they that steal from me.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy has probably moved on......do people really get upset over a couple of mill baht house they never really owned?

Yes, I'm sure he's moved on, or eventually will. Who gets upset over a couple of mill baht? Not him, for sure.

No doubt when he bought and furnished the house he was prepared to walk away from it suspecting correctly that his gf would turn around and sell it at 25% off. You may ask why the man just didn't hand the woman the cash, saving himself 25% (of an albeit insignificant couple of mill)? Well, if he did that, how would a complete stranger (but fellow farang) like Livinginexile have reaped the benefit?

Here's the thing. The topic of this sickening thread IS: 'I'm about to buy a property and the farang owner doesn't even know it's being sold'. Ergo, the OP knows it is owned, to all intents and purposes, by someone who is unaware that they are about to lose their share thereof, but seems not to give a rat's arse, same large percentage of the respondees.

No wonder this country is notorious for it's money grubbing, unethical (not to mention half witted) expat community. You sicken and disgust me. Would you do this in your home countries? Or is it simply that it's so easily done here?:realangry:

Here's the thing. The topic of this sickening thread IS: 'I'm about to buy a property and the farang owner doesn't even know it's being sold'. Ergo, the OP knows it is owned, to all intents and purposes, by someone who is unaware that they are about to lose their share thereof, but seems not to give a rat's arse, same large percentage of the respondees.

No wonder this country is notorious for it's money grubbing, unethical (not to mention half witted) expat community. You sicken and disgust me. Would you do this in your home countries? Or is it simply that it's so easily done here?:realangry:

They probably would, probably have and probably will do again, just carpet baggers.

Posted 2010-07-07 00:27

My wife and I inspected a property for sale on the weekend, advertised through a Thai website.

The owner, a Thai woman, told my wife that she has an English boyfriend that bought and built the property in her name but he is "playboy/butterfly" and he run away 6 months ago so now she is selling everything "to start new life".

We can get the property very cheap and she is even willing to including all the furniture and fittings.

I worry that she is trying to sell quickly before her "teerak" arrives back from England.

It really is a very very good deal. I could resell immediately and realise 25% profit (even in this economic climate).

So carefull guys if you have bought in your girlfriends name, I'm just about to aquire your property for a song :)

Are you going to tell the buyer about this English guy or just forget such a tiny trifle?

PS Why is there no possibility to down vote a post? I up voted this one by accident, Mods feel free to fix...

If I don't buy it someone else will.

We have tried to get the farangs contact details but the G/F insists he has disapeared and is uncontactable.

My lawyer has asked her for a copy of the chanote but she is stalling a bit. She claims it is up country. If she doesn't produce it by the end of the weekend we will walk away from the deal

Indeed. Like I said, the farang bf is already screwed irrespective of your action. The question to ask yourself: Is buying this bargain-priced house any different to buying shares in a company after the share price has plummeted and sundry others have lost their money?

We have tried to get the farangs contact details but the G/F insists he has disapeared and is uncontactable.

Well that takes care of the moral due diligence.

do they? I know that I would get very seriouly pissed off if somebody tried to make a fast buck at my expense, maybe I would have no legal rights but ferk the law, just burn it down, if I lose so do they that steal from me.

I've never quite understood how building a house for somebody suddenly becomes stealing if they sell when the relationship sours, if you give somebody a couple of mill and when the relationship sours they do not give it back, they have stolen it??............life is too short.........best just to get on with life.......

Yes, I'm sure he's moved on, or eventually will. Who gets upset over a couple of mill baht? Not him, for sure.

No doubt when he bought and furnished the house he was prepared to walk away from it suspecting correctly that his gf would turn around and sell it at 25% off. You may ask why the man just didn't hand the woman the cash, saving himself 25% (of an albeit insignificant couple of mill)? Well, if he did that, how would a complete stranger (but fellow farang) like Livinginexile have reaped the benefit?

If you take the risk you must play the hand you are dealt, the guy who built and furnished the house did just that, livinginexile is now taking his risk, he may come out of it ok, in which case he was the better player. Morals sadly only come into it when you are not the one who is set to benefit........

If you take the risk you must play the hand you are dealt, the guy who built and furnished the house did just that, livinginexile is now taking his risk, he may come out of it ok, in which case he was the better player. Morals sadly only come into it when you are not the one who is set to benefit........

Morals and ethics apply to all. You either have them or you don't. Personally I wouldn't enter into any such arrangement.

I've never quite understood how building a house for somebody suddenly becomes stealing if they sell when the relationship sours, if you give somebody a couple of mill and when the relationship sours they do not give it back, they have stolen it??............life is too short.........best just to get on with life.......

Its called "full disclosure." For example, in my case, would I willingly hand the wife 100K USD to help pay down on a 7.7million baht home if she told me she was sleeping with antother man at that period of time? Or would I drop 70K down on breast implants during that time, if she had disclosed to me that she was sleeping with another man...?

Oh and for those that say, "that's what u get from a BG....." Folks, this was an educated girl, that I met in the states, that I put supported her through her MA degree at a fairly prestigious Univ. in the states. A woman that I had 2 children with.... and I could go on and on....

I'm here to tell you, BG or not, you throw the dice in any relationship, and to expect justice in a corrupt world, is a foolish thing to do.

Hmmm...a new twist on moral relativism. Something to think about.

Not really.

Buying a house is a bit of a big deal, not so much because of the amount spent, but because it represents a major life decision. If all goes well, one is likely to be living in it for ten, fifteen, twenty years or more. And by 'living' I mean really living your life: raising a family, making love, making big and small decisions, connecting with friends and family, dreaming dreams, making plans, building memories over many hours of many days of many years. All of it in this singular important place one calls 'home'. In Thailand, when one buys in the wife's name, it means even more because it represents a clean absence of mistrust. And that is a beautiful thing.

I for one would not want to taint all that with a smudge of double-dealing, because I'm not just buying a house, I'm building a home.

Anyone that thinks that buying at a knockdown price from the Thai GF behind the back of her Farang BF is NOT equivalent to dealing in stolen property is just not seeing straight. Sure, one can do it, as no doubt many do. But why spin it to seem innocuous unless it is to ease one's conscience?

I'm no squeaky-clean representative of the human race myself. We are all tempted from time to time. The pull is great and we all have our weak moments. I know I've had mine. I have no wish to pass judgement here and I do, do apologize that it looks that way. I'm just more disturbed by the rationalizations than the original intent. :jap:

Edited by Thakkar

My lawyer has asked her for a copy of the chanote but she is stalling a bit. She claims it is up country. If she doesn't produce it by the end of the weekend we will walk away from the deal

What a convenient and cliched excuse for your no doubt guilty conscience. You must have some (unlike half this forum, or you wouldn't have posted).

I truly hope you 'buy' it (aid and abet the thief - 'wife'), and when he finds out, get everything you deserve, ie loss of several mil and a stay in the monkey house for conspiracy to theft. Chok rai. :bah:

What a convenient and cliched excuse for your no doubt guilty conscience. You must have some (unlike half this forum, or you wouldn't have posted).

I truly hope you 'buy' it (aid and abet the thief - 'wife'), and when he finds out, get everything you deserve, ie loss of several mil and a stay in the monkey house for conspiracy to theft. Chok rai. :bah:

Why so touchy?

I get the distinct feeling this subject is bit too close to home for you Evanson :rolleyes:

If I don't steal that garish 5-bt gold necklace from the stupid foreigner's neck surely someone else will.

If I don't pick up that wallet he just dropped and liberate the 20,000 bt cash inside surely someone else will.

If I don't make a move on the man's hot wife and get her in the sack for a serious rogering surely someone else will.

If I don't make two menus, one in English (at triple price) and one in Thai so I can make more money from the fools, surely someone else will.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

>>I beleive it's customary for the Land Office to require a Farang married to a Thai lady to sign a declaration that the money used to purchase the house is not his and he has no interest in the equity of the house. Sort of stuffs the 50% again I guess.

That's not correct. It's about the land the the foreign spouse has to sign that the money came from the Thai person for the purchase of the land.The house can be a completely different entity falling under a 30 year lease, or one of those leases that you get the right to use the house until you die.

true, I'm married and when we bought the house I had to sign off any rights to the land, but we do have a rental contract between us, so if the guy also has that, you might be able to buy the house, but he still keeps to rent it, but only if he has such a contract of course.

about him having rights on the equity; might very well be indeed, but if so then it will be him against his wife/gf in court to get the money back, not the buyer

... but ... here's the thing; most likely there;'s a second mortgage on the house, they can claim the house, even if it's yours, you do get then your money back, but only the amount registered in the land and house office, which is usually only 20-30% of what you pay for it

so, be very careful you might get burned, and with that kind of an attitude ... I hope so!

let me put it like this; most likely she's very conscientious ripping off the guy ... and there are plenty of ways for her to rip you off in the process just as well and cash in double ... for sure she will!

<snip>

If I don't make two menus, one in English (at triple price) and one in Thai so I can make more money from the fools, surely someone else will.

Q: What';s the difference between "Khaw Pad Kung" and "Fried rice with prawn"?

A: About 40 Baht

Not really.

Buying a house is a bit of a big deal, not so much because of the amount spent, but because it represents a major life decision. If all goes well, one is likely to be living in it for ten, fifteen, twenty years or more. And by 'living' I mean really living your life: raising a family, making love, making big and small decisions, connecting with friends and family, dreaming dreams, making plans, building memories over many hours of many days of many years. All of it in this singular important place one calls 'home'. In Thailand, when one buys in the wife's name, it means even more because it represents a clean absence of mistrust. And that is a beautiful thing.

I for one would not want to taint all that with a smudge of double-dealing, because I'm not just buying a house, I'm building a home.

Anyone that thinks that buying at a knockdown price from the Thai GF behind the back of her Farang BF is NOT equivalent to dealing in stolen property is just not seeing straight. Sure, one can do it, as no doubt many do. But why spin it to seem innocuous unless it is to ease one's conscience?

I'm no squeaky-clean representative of the human race myself. We are all tempted from time to time. The pull is great and we all have our weak moments. I know I've had mine. I have no wish to pass judgement here and I do, do apologize that it looks that way. I'm just more disturbed by the rationalizations than the original intent. :jap:

You are bringing your own conscience into the equation and therefore distorting your view. A house is advertised for sale, livinginexcile is prepared to pay the asking price. The history of the house is irrelevant, if it is the owner selling there is no "dealing in stolen property"..........if all the dealings were conducted through an agent and livinginexile had never the met the seller....where would your moral issue be?

Morals and ethics apply to all. You either have them or you don't. Personally I wouldn't enter into any such arrangement.

I find morals and ethics appear mostly to be applied on a very individual basis...........indeed for many it would appear the sum involved governs the implementation or not of their strict moral code!!!!...........I'm sure there are many who have purchased copy CD's and designer labels........of course these masses of morally bankrupt people do not excuse the OP..........providing you are of the thought that buying a house for the asking price is some how not quite etnical or moral.

Why so touchy?

I get the distinct feeling this subject is bit too close to home for you Evanson :rolleyes:

Why yes it does. On top of the neighbour's husband dying suddenly on New Year and then to have to put up with the added stress of having her house and contents stolen by two supposed friends of ten years standing, (whilst she was in hospital, by the way) the lady could take no more and committed suicide. 'Close enough to home' for you, you greedy prick?:realangry:

I see a stupid post or two about 'well, who would worry about walking away from a couple of mil? How the hel_l do they know it was 'only' a couple of mil? It could very well have been the same as my neighbour, all she had left in the world, and on top of her husband dying. asshol_e.

Edited by evanson

If I don't steal that garish 5-bt gold necklace from the stupid foreigner's neck surely someone else will.

If I don't pick up that wallet he just dropped and liberate the 20,000 bt cash inside surely someone else will.

If I don't make a move on the man's hot wife and get her in the sack for a serious rogering surely someone else will.

:lol:

"Why yes it does. On top of the neighbour's husband dying suddenly on New Year and then to have to put up with the added stress of having her house and contents stolen by two supposed friends of ten years standing, (whilst she was in hospital, by the way) the lady could take no more and committed suicide. 'Close enough to home' for you, you greedy prick?:realangry:

I see a stupid post or two about 'well, who would worry about walking away from a couple of mil? How the hel_l do they know it was 'only' a couple of mil? It could very well have been the same as my neighbour, all she had left in the world, and on top of her husband dying. asshol_e."

Just not fair is it?

But then again neither is life!

Jai yen yen dude, jai yen yen. :jap:

Edited by Livinginexile

Not really.

You are bringing your own conscience into the equation and therefore distorting your view. A house is advertised for sale, livinginexcile is prepared to pay the asking price. The history of the house is irrelevant, if it is the owner selling there is no "dealing in stolen property"..........if all the dealings were conducted through an agent and livinginexile had never the met the seller....where would your moral issue be?

You are quite right. I am bringing my own conscience into it. How could I not?—*Knowing* that the house is being sold surreptitiously behind the back of the person who paid for it. There would be no moral issue if the buyer weren't aware of the two-timing circumstances under which the sale is taking place. There's pretty good clarity here, no distortion.

I'm not saying the buyer should not buy—it's not for me to say. I'm saying * I * would not buy, for the reasons I stated above. For me, walking away would be the easiest option and I'm apt to go for the easy option.

The deal is what it is. It's mostly the sugar-coating that's leaving a funny taste.

thakkar, I like your way of calling a spade a shovel. With all the legal problems that have been mentioned as possible, the unknown reaction from a injured party, the discounted price/good deal, etc. It comes down to the comfort level of the people involved in the sale/purchase. Some people may use the term conscience, fair play, honesty or other terms, but the man asked for opinions and I have to agree with yours.

Well if the wife is the legal owner and there is no protection for the farang in the chanote what's the problem. He must have known it's a gift to the wife and he's not getting anything if she decides to sell.

People apply morals as they suit them, regardless of what they claim in internet forums.

Let's put it other way. Your hi-so thai-chinese GF buys you a brand new land rover for x-mas and registers it in your name only. Later you find out she's sleeping with other guys regularly, Would you return the car ?

Well if the wife is the legal owner and there is no protection for the farang in the chanote what's the problem. He must have known it's a gift to the wife and he's not getting anything if she decides to sell.

People apply morals as they suit them, regardless of what they claim in internet forums.

Let's put it other way. Your hi-so thai-chinese GF buys you a brand new land rover for x-mas and registers it in your name only. Later you find out she's sleeping with other guys regularly, Would you return the car ?

I'd want to know what kind of car she bought the other guys.

thakkar, I like your way of calling a spade a shovel. With all the legal problems that have been mentioned as possible, the unknown reaction from a injured party, the discounted price/good deal, etc. It comes down to the comfort level of the people involved in the sale/purchase. Some people may use the term conscience, fair play, honesty or other terms, but the man asked for opinions and I have to agree with yours.

[/quote

I feel there is no room for sentiment in business transactions............open to abuse!!!

Good point!

I'd want to know what kind of car she bought the other guys.

Not a straight forward yes then?........your halo appears to have slipped around your neck....