Bike Test

2008bangkok

Hi,

Looking to go and do my motorbike test next week and hoping someone can tell me what documents are needed (i have a w/p if thats needed) and to tell me what theory needs to be looked into for example do i need to know all the road signs like you need to know for a car.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Looking to go and do my motorbike test next week and hoping someone can tell me what documents are needed (i have a w/p if thats needed) and to tell me what theory needs to be looked into for example do i need to know all the road signs like you need to know for a car.

Thanks in advance

You need a confermation of residency (can be gotten at the embassy or the immgration)

You need your passport to copy your visa

You need a checkup in a clinic and it cant be more then a few weeks old

They will give you a leaflet to study there and there is a video to watch.

You do the theoretical part of the test on a computer

The practical part outside on your bike or a rented one

You also have to do some eye tests and reflex tests.

to tell me what theory needs to be looked into for example do i need to know all the road signs like you need to know for a car.

You can avoid the practical and theory tests if you have a driving license from another country.

But yes, you need to know all the rules and signs as well. At my local Land Transport Office they also have a practice machine to try out the theory. I think it is a good idea to go and check out your knowledge there. I have a license based on my UK license, but out of curiosity I tried out the practice machine; I failed....... ;-(

to tell me what theory needs to be looked into for example do i need to know all the road signs like you need to know for a car.

You can avoid the practical and theory tests if you have a driving license from another country.

But yes, you need to know all the rules and signs as well. At my local Land Transport Office they also have a practice machine to try out the theory. I think it is a good idea to go and check out your knowledge there. I have a license based on my UK license, but out of curiosity I tried out the practice machine; I failed....... ;-(

Only if that license is a bike license already

Not necessarily so. If you do a search in the motorbikes forum, somewhere you'll find my thread relating my experience getting a Thai motorbike license. It was so easy it might have been illegal!

I had the necessary photocopies and visa and risible doctor's certificate. Went to the local transport department with loads of patience. They looked at my foreign driver's licence, which was for cars only, not motorbikes, but my request was for a motorbike licence. Did the reflex test (sat in a chair and when a light came on, pushed a pedal) and a colour blindness test (called out a colour when the girl pointed at the dots), had my photo taken, and out popped my temporary Thai motorbike licence.

Now, maybe they didn't notice that my foreign licence was for a car only, or maybe it didn't matter, or maybe they didn't want to bother trying to go through all the process with me as I have no Thai and they had very very little English, but whatever the reason, I walked out with my motorbike licence and will do the necessary renewal when it comes due later this year.

[Reason for edit: typo]

Edited by JusMe

Not necessarily so. If you do a search in the motorbikes forum, somewhere you'll find my thread relating my experience getting a Thai motorbike license. It was so easy it might have been illegal!

I had the necessary photocopies and visa and risible doctor's certificate. Went to the local transport department with loads of patience. They looked at my foreign driver's licence, which was for cars only, not motorbikes, but my request was for a motorbike licence. Did the reflex test (sat in a chair and when a light came on, pushed a pedal) and a colour blindness test (called out a colour when the girl pointed at the dots), had my photo taken, and out popped my temporary Thai motorbike licence.

Now, maybe they didn't notice that my foreign licence was for a car only, or maybe it didn't matter, or maybe they didn't want to bother trying to go through all the process with me as I have no Thai and they had very very little English, but whatever the reason, I walked out with my motorbike licence and will do the necessary renewal when it comes due later this year.

[Reason for edit: typo]

really ?? i thought about this as well... maybe i'll give this a shot aswell

Edited by soundman
Fixed quoted content.