Taxi Vs Rail Link From Suvarnabhumi

BOOKEMDANO

Has anybody found the rail link from the airport a better choice in terms of speed and cost against that of a taxi meter for getting into downtown areas such as Silom?

I have never used the rail link and always thought that after such a long flight I would rather go for the taxi option everytime, because of the door to door service they provide; also I dont have to lug my baggage around anymore than I have too!

But i'm willing to try out the rail link to see how it fares against the taxi's; just weighing up the pro's and con's for each in terms of speed, cost and ease etc...

Has anybody found the rail link from the airport a better choice in terms of speed and cost against that of a taxi meter for getting into downtown areas such as Silom?

I have never used the rail link and always thought that after such a long flight I would rather go for the taxi option everytime, because of the door to door service they provide; also I dont have to lug my baggage around anymore than I have too!

But i'm willing to try out the rail link to see how it fares against the taxi's; just weighing up the pro's and con's for each in terms of speed, cost and ease etc...

The Airport Rail Link (ARL) is only operating a trail schedule service for limited hours M-F 7am -10am and 4pm-7pm. It is free however and only takes 22mins from the Airport to Phaya Thai (all stops except Makkasan which is not open). Also, based on what you have said you will not want to exit at Phaya thai and have the hassle of exiting with your luggage.

So your query is probably moot unless your arriving during these times. Wait until the 23rd Aug for the full service to start.

Edited by Lakegeneve

I forget where, but it does have a station near the MRT.. Hua Mark? Phayathai isn't a nice place to transfer, esp with bages.

The hotel is opposite Chong Nonsi so I wouldn't have to walk far with the bags. Looking on this map of connections: http://en.wikivisual.com/images/5/5d/System_Map_of_Bangkok_Rail_Transit_Network.jpg

It looks a straight run to Makkasan on the non-stop train then change as you said at Phayathai. After that its 4 stops to Chong Nonsi..

Would this be cheaper and faster than a typical taxi journey ?

It's not that simple. I take the BTS to and from Chong Nonsi every day past the airport link at Phaya Thai. From Phaya Thai you will have to change BTS trains again at Siam station and then the next train you get on will be packed like sardines and very difficult to even get on or off the train with luggage. Then when you get to your stop it's a couple of flights of stairs down to get to the street. Take a taxi -- it's just as fast and about the same price. Taxi shouldn't be around 350 baht including expressway tolls.

It's not that simple. I take the BTS to and from Chong Nonsi every day past the airport link at Phaya Thai. From Phaya Thai you will have to change BTS trains again at Siam station and then the next train you get on will be packed like sardines and very difficult to even get on or off the train with luggage. Then when you get to your stop it's a couple of flights of stairs down to get to the street. Take a taxi -- it's just as fast and about the same price. Taxi shouldn't be around 350 baht including expressway tolls.

Didn't realise you would have to change again at Siam. Oh well, I will take your advice and stick to a taxi then. I was interested to see how much faster and cost effective this new rail link was but as many have said - including myself - after a long haul flight and lots of baggage the taxi seems a better option.

Thanks for the useful information

:jap:

Agree with the above.

The ARL doesn't actually go anywhere useful and Makkasan is a nightmare to get to / from by road from just about anywhere.

Unless you're hand baggage only I reckon a taxi will be so much more convenient.