Living With Bursitis

camerata

Anyone have any tips on how to keep up an active lifestyle after having bursitis of the hip (which tends to keep re-occuring)?

trochanteric bursitis

1 Avoid overuse of joints in sports or heavy labor.

2 Avoiding prolonged standing and the activity that causes pain.

3 Do appropriate warm-up and cool-down exercises.

4 Exercises, to strengthen the hip muscles

5 Stretching exercises for the hip and lower back.

6 Keep in good shape.... Weight loss, to reduce pressure on the hip

7 Take breaks when doing physical labor or exercise.

8 Cushion the joints. Don't lean on elbows, kneel or sit on hard surfaces for long periods of time. Use cushioned chairs or protective gear whenever possible.

9 After an episode of bursitis, try to identify and change or remove whatever caused it (different shoes, etc.)

(from med-book )

Bambi :o

Edited by BambinA

As for exercise you can try swimming. In swimming you don't even have to use your legs if you don't want to...or you can use them intermittenly or continuously but very lightly...to any degree you want. In swimming you can get a full cardio-vascular work out without stressing your hip joints at all and/or you can get mild low stress exercise for the hips which might (or might not) help the condition overall.

Right. I've been given the exercises but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this. I'm pretty sure I got my bursitis from exercising on a treadmill, which I've been doing for years, and I don't want to give it up. Hip bursitis is something atheletes get, so I'm hoping these exercises can really protect me from getting it again. Swimming is not that convenient for me and I need to keep up the walking because I do a lot of it twice a year on vacation.

• 3 weeks later...

Right. I've been given the exercises but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this. I'm pretty sure I got my bursitis from exercising on a treadmill, which I've been doing for years, and I don't want to give it up. Hip bursitis is something atheletes get, so I'm hoping these exercises can really protect me from getting it again. Swimming is not that convenient for me and I need to keep up the walking because I do a lot of it twice a year on vacation.

Do the exercises, you did say you already know which ones they are, right? Also sleep with an extra pillow b/w your knees when sleeping on your side. Also a steroid shot in the area (greater trochanter bursa) may help, along with NSAIDs such as motrin or even celebrex if your stomach does not tolerate those meds very well.

Good luck.