Tae-Kwon-Do

jayjay0

I have considered taking Tae-Kwon-Do for a while I have a physical problem with one of my ankles and do not have the range of motion needed in a class.

I was wondering if any one knows of a good reasonably priced trainer who takes on private students. Price would help if you know it.

Taekwondo is about throwing kicks.

Why must it be Taekwondo?

Why not think about Aikido. No kicks in Aikido.

You are rite. perhaps I was meaning Thi Chi My mistake.

Know nothing about Aikdo. I did not mention I am 68 looking for some thing to help stay in condition and learn a little discipline.

Taekwondo is about throwing kicks.

Why must it be Taekwondo?

Why not think about Aikido. No kicks in Aikido.

You are rite. perhaps I was meaning Thi Chi My mistake.

Know nothing about Aikdo. I did not mention I am 68 looking for some thing to help stay in condition and learn a little discipline.

Hello, Jayjay0.

There is Aikido at Chiang Mai University. Our karate club also practices right next to Aikido there. There are numerous Tai Chi teachers around Chiang Mai. There have been threads on TV before about them.

It might be best if you drop in to something and watch to see if you might be interested.

MSPain

I've done Tae Kwon Do in the past. Even competitions, until I screwed up my knee for the second time. It's a lot of fun, but it's rather easy to injure yourself, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you are a teenager.

Most definitely try Aikido, or Tai Chi. Even Yoga. Those sports keep you in excellent shape, and there's very little risk of injury. Many options in Chiang Mai.

If you like kicking and punching, I think Thai boxing might also be more appropriate than Tae Kwon Do. First, it's easy to find a personal trainer, and second, in Muay Thai the boxers actually make sure they don't injure themselves in training. They take care of that. Tae Kwon Do, with the various teachers I had, was extremely risky to say the least. Thousands of kicks into thin air, something will give eventually, at least if your'e doing it right.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like Aikido would be good for you as you can train as hard or soft as you like, depending on the style you choose as for me i teach in blighty not here though, but saying that i found an aikido/tai kwon do plce a few days ago if you turn right at the lights facing the night bizzar, then right at the end of the road its on the left about 500 metres.

I hav not had the chance to check the place out yet now youve reminded me i may go this evening.

Edited by Aikido

Sounds like Aikido would be good for you as you can train as hard or soft as you like, depending on the style you choose as for me i teach in blighty not here though, but saying that i found an aikido/tai kwon do plce a few days ago if you turn right at the lights facing the night bizzar, then right at the end of the road its on the left about 500 metres.

I hav not had the chance to check the place out yet now youve reminded me i may go this evening.

The way I read your instructions that would place it on the river side of the road if not on the river itself. Let me know.

I presume you are facing north at the light.

I've done Tae Kwon Do in the past. Even competitions, until I screwed up my knee for the second time. It's a lot of fun, but it's rather easy to injure yourself, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you are a teenager.

Most definitely try Aikido, or Tai Chi. Even Yoga. Those sports keep you in excellent shape, and there's very little risk of injury. Many options in Chiang Mai.

If you like kicking and punching, I think Thai boxing might also be more appropriate than Tae Kwon Do. First, it's easy to find a personal trainer, and second, in Muay Thai the boxers actually make sure they don't injure themselves in training. They take care of that. Tae Kwon Do, with the various teachers I had, was extremely risky to say the least. Thousands of kicks into thin air, something will give eventually, at least if your'e doing it right.

I agree with the Thai Boxing. It always pains me to see little kids or students from Universities that are wearing TKD uniforms when they have such a beautiful and rich Martial Art in their very own backyard.