Police Doing Their Job?

Just1Voice

This morning my wife and I went into Chiang Mai and I saw 4 different places in town where police were stopping people on motorbikes for no helmet. Nothing new about that. But what was new is that they were actually ISSUING TICKETS instead of collecting fines. One of these checkpoints could be observed from where we went, and I actually sat and watched for about 20 minutes and did not see one "fine" being paid, and that everyone who was stopped was issued a written ticket.

Ok, has anyone heard from Lucifer lately, because I know there are those who believed this sort of thing would never happen in Thailand until hel_l freezes over. :whistling:

they've been doing the ticket thing for ages. at least a year in fact. in fact it's probably about 18 months ago i last rode without a helmet and got done and there was no chance of them taking the 200b fine on the spot. was off down to warorot next day.

Got two no helmet tickets within a week (i know i know..im stupid.. no helmet thing..nvr thought id be one not to wear one..but sometimes i dont.. )

The first time i got a ticket i had no idea where to go, spoke to the policeman in Thai, asked if i can pay the fine now (actually didnt mean a kick-back or anything..just inquiring), he said no. The policemen were all friendly and helpful but official and firm. First time i was spoken to like i was a naughty school kid, being told i should wear my helmet. Was sweet of him..lol. 2nd time the policeman warned me that the other side of the road were doing tickets too, so i must remember my helmet.

200 baht fine at Traffic police station. Officers friendly.

This is my first experience of fines, so no idea how it was before.

Not doubting it's been done before, but can only state that most of the time when I see them, you can "pay the fine" right there, and only get a ticket if you refuse, or have no money on you. The only time I've been stopped was the ONE time I didn't wear a helmet going into Bosang. Ok, should have known better, but brain not working good that day or something. Anyway, got stopped, and even though I speak some Thai, I decided to "play dumb" and not understand, and kept asking for a ticket, while the cop kept saying "200 baht". Then the husband of my wife's favorite cousin, who just happens to be a Senior Sergeant there, walked over, laughed at me, told the other officer: "He's family. Husband of wife's cousin." With that the first one smiled and waved me on. Oh, well, like the old saying goes: "God looks out after idiots and children". And I'm way too old to be a child. lol

I know that last week in the news it was either Phuket or Pattaya (don't remember which one now) has started a major crackdown on helmets, even going so far as making people go watch a video on what can happen to your head in a motorcycle accident, with lots of gore for emphasis, so maybe other areas are starting to really crack down as well, which would be a GOOD thing.

they've been doing the ticket thing for ages. at least a year in fact. in fact it's probably about 18 months ago i last rode without a helmet and got done and there was no chance of them taking the 200b fine on the spot. was off down to warorot next day.

This has been my experience as well. I've gotten several tickets in the past 2 and a half years I've been in Chiang Mai... Never once have they accepted payment from me (which I would gladly pay to avoid the inconvenience of going to the police station.) Never once have a been able to pay an on the spot fine. And I usually discreetly offer 500 baht.. Is there some trick to being able to pay the fine on the spot? If I could pay only 200 baht (the face value of the ticket) on the spot, that would be fantastic!

-Mestizo

I know that last week in the news it was either Phuket or Pattaya (don't remember which one now) has started a major crackdown on helmets, even going so far as making people go watch a video on what can happen to your head in a motorcycle accident, with lots of gore for emphasis, so maybe other areas are starting to really crack down as well, which would be a GOOD thing.

Do wish that they would start cracking down on the idiots who just have to be on the handphone while driving..... talking or texting..... pure stupidity...... but each of them knows that they are the best drivers in the world...

Should start making them watch a video of what can and does happen to people who text or phone without pulling over and stopping. There is an absolute most gruesome one of a guy ripped completely in half at the waist, because of texting while driving..... Power point with about 5 - 6 slides...... that'll make you sick alright.

g

Do wish that they would start cracking down on the idiots who just have to be on the handphone while driving..... talking or texting..... pure stupidity...... but each of them knows that they are the best drivers in the world...

Should start making them watch a video of what can and does happen to people who text or phone without pulling over and stopping. There is an absolute most gruesome one of a guy ripped completely in half at the waist, because of texting while driving..... Power point with about 5 - 6 slides...... that'll make you sick alright.

g

totally agree that is my pet hate also, you can always tell when your following someone doing it also.

I was stopped today at the police check point up Doi Saket way near the Horizon's Resort for no helmet. The officer leaned in close to me and held up four fingers saying something in Thai. Not understanding him but knowing how things work I handed him 400 baht. He handed me 200 back and looked both ways and concealed the other 200 in his hand which he then put in his pocket as he waved me on. So I think it is safe to say some of them are still doing the 200 baht thing. I also got the feeling he did not want the other cops to see him pocket the 200 baht.

About a year or so ago I was reading something where some Thai Official was being questioned by a foreign reporter, and when the reporter asked about Thais not wearing helmets, the Official replied, that, yes, it was the law, but it was ok if they didn't because Thais had thicker skulls than other people. Later in the interview, he also made a comment that unlike other people in the rest of the world, Thai were perfectly able to drive and talk on a cell phone or text messages at the same time.

REALLY!?!?!?! Ok, I go along with the part about the "thicker skulls", but not in the way he meant it. :whistling:

Today I was stopped also.

I know I am wrong and accept the ticket but the way it happened made me sick.

I got a ticket by a young policeman who is NOT wearing a helmet by himself while riding his motorbike.

When I told him that in foreign countries the police will try to give the good example and always wear a helmet, he answered me “we are in Thailand and I am a policeman, so I can do that”… That made me furious and speechless at the same time.

In the mean time, I have about 20 pictures of policeman riding a bike without a helmet in Chiang Mai. I am getting more and more nervous about the attitude of them. 3 times I needed them (for different reasons, one was a scam for 70.000Baht) and all 3 times they did do NOTHING, nothing at all. They hardly listened to me.

I am thinking for a long time to prepare an “open letter”, or start a petition or… whatever what. I don’t know but I would like to do something.

I know that many “farang” have the “mai penrai” attitude and will not leave their sleep for anything. However, I fought my entire life against corruption and want to do something.

Maybe others feel the same. If so, let me know.

I got a ticket by a young policeman who is NOT wearing a helmet by himself while riding his motorbike.

When I told him that in foreign countries the police will try to give the good example and always wear a helmet, he answered me "we are in Thailand and I am a policeman, so I can do that"… That made me furious and speechless at the same time.

In the mean time, I have about 20 pictures of policeman riding a bike without a helmet in Chiang Mai. I am getting more and more nervous about the attitude of them. 3 times I needed them (for different reasons, one was a scam for 70.000Baht) and all 3 times they did do NOTHING, nothing at all. They hardly listened to me.

I am thinking for a long time to prepare an "open letter", or start a petition or… whatever what. I don't know but I would like to do something.

I know that many "farang" have the "mai penrai" attitude and will not leave their sleep for anything. However, I fought my entire life against corruption and want to do something.

or, you could just wear your crash helmet.

When I told him that in foreign countries the police will try to give the good example and always wear a helmet, he answered me "we are in Thailand and I am a policeman, so I can do that"… That made me furious and speechless at the same time.

I am thinking for a long time to prepare an "open letter", or start a petition or… whatever what. I don't know but I would like to do something.

I know that many "farang" have the "mai penrai" attitude and will not leave their sleep for anything. However, I fought my entire life against corruption and want to do something.

or, you could just wear your crash helmet.

1) You start the petition, and see how many people you get to sign it. My guess is.....dam_n Few!

2) You submit said petition, and you are going to suddenly become Very Popular with the BIB, who will take every opportunity to stop you and have a little "chat" with you. And who knows, maybe those really nice people at Immigration will suddenly discover they've made a mistake and your visa is no longer valid....So Sorry!

Like you've already been told - Just Wear Your Helmet. Oh, and remember you're merely a guest here and it's often best to grin & bear it, no matter how much it ticks you off to do so.

I too observed an area where police officers were stopping those without helmets and issuing tickets - had a line of customers. At the traffic light just E of Nawarat Bridge, I looked at stopped bikers and saw almost universal wearing of helmets; is the word out?

Haven't seen the like in Chiang Mai since my arrival here in October. Also, I noticed a large billboard recently that advertises a brand of helmets built to Euro and/or DOT standards. This sort of thing is enough to make one swallow one's chewing gum.

Nice to see posts saying the police are doing there job.

Get tired of the ones that say they do nothing except take bribes. All tho that does happen. It also happens where you come from. But there the government suppresses it. LOL

Nice to see posts saying the police are doing there job.

Get tired of the ones that say they do nothing except take bribes. All tho that does happen. It also happens where you come from. But there the government suppresses it. LOL

They probably had a meeting and were told there commissions would be more if they issued more tickets remember they get a percentage of all fines collected so its in there interest to issue as many tickets as possible.

Ive never been stopped for no helmet cause I always wear one :D But did have a bad accident drink driving :( I would of prefered to get the no helmet ticket

I don't own a motorcycle and only ride one when away from CM at Pai or the beaches or similar and I always wear one as does my wife riding pillion. For the life of me I just don't understand why people don't, is it that difficult or inconvenient ? Statistics show that in a lot of cases if you come off, and maybe its no fault of yours, the first thing that hits the road is your head.Aussies would know that back home not wearing one ,even on a push bike , involves a very heavy fine. maybe thats what is needed here 200 or 500 baht is hardly a deterrent to people having a serious injury wish.

Yesterday I was at Rincome Junction and was amazed to see that the usual two sided check points seemed hugely more organised than hitherto. There must have been at least thirty bikes standing around while the owners, get this, queued in a long line to get their tickets issued (or maybe paid too) at a desk set up in the Think Park car park area. It's a very welcome development and long overdue. Now, if only....

The police would write up people they see without helmets when they are simply out and about, rather than only when they're in Crackdown Mode.

They'd stop under age kids without licenses riding on the roads - I saw a boy who looked 12 or 13 riding with what must have been his grandma on the back at the weekend.

And finally, if they are going to the trouble of stopping people then why not check their front and rear lights at the same time? You'd think that some enterprising soul would make themselves a small business by being on hand with spare bulbs and a screwdriver so the BIB could insist on replacement before the bike was released. A really simple but very important step in the direction of safer driving for all but perhaps too logical to catch on around here.

Edited by Greenside

Yesterday I was at Rincome Junction and was amazed to see that the usual two sided check points seemed hugely more organised than hitherto. There must have been at least thirty bikes standing around while the owners, get this, queued in a long line to get their tickets issued (or maybe paid too) at a desk set up in the Think Park car park area. It's a very welcome development and long overdue. Now, if only....

The police would write up people they see without helmets when they are simply out and about, rather than only when they're in Crackdown Mode.

They'd stop under age kids without licenses riding on the roads - I saw a boy who looked 12 or 13 riding with what must have been his grandma on the back at the weekend.

And finally, if they are going to the trouble of stopping people then why not check their front and rear lights at the same time? You'd think that some enterprising soul would make themselves a small business by being on hand with spare bulbs and a screwdriver so the BIB could insist on replacement before the bike was released. A really simple but very important step in the direction of safer driving for all but perhaps too logical to catch on around here.

While I agree with you, especially about the underaged drivers, you're making the assumption that the BIB are actually capable of thinking of doing more than just one thing at a time. If you tell them to write tickets for no helmet, AND look for underaged drivers, you will just confuse them. lol

Just passed a helmet check at the at the start of sutep road (just as your turning off the moat). Incredible at 9.30pm, I've never ever seen one after 5 or 6pm.

Someone must have actually worked out how to get police to do something? Maybe they reduced their wages, so they have no option to fine people to get the money lol

I guess heres my two cents...in ChiangMai if i wear a helmet they check my vehicle ownership paper which you must present or get fined and if i have that they look at the "Por Ror Bor". They always find a way to get money from you.

Far be it from me to praise police - as a general practice (I've lost faith in English police since their "specially trained" armed forces have taken to shooting, again and again, to death, again and again, swarthy citizens who hurry, wearing a raincoat in London of all things, to the tube) - but consider what the police are doing here:

1. The police are being asked to change a habitual way of doing things, among fellow Thais, to enforce the legislation of "morality." I feel that they do not deserve any vilification on this thread, but praise.

2. The suggestion has been made that BIB's cannot think clearly somehow. All police forces depend upon training and leadership, virtually entirely, for their performance. Venality is all around, and we only have to lurk for a while in a Bangkok discussion group regarding politics here on ThVi to find that what passes for "thinking" often derives from short term self interest (generally wrong and always selfish) in all peoples and nations. I recall my own hatred of helmet laws (before I found myself seeing blood on the pavement every week) and disregard for seat belt laws, and not so many years ago.

Edited by CMX

Far be it from me to praise police - as a general practice (I've lost faith in English police since their "specially trained" armed forces have taken to shooting, again and again, to death, again and again, swarthy citizens who hurry, wearing a raincoat in London of all things, to the tube) - but consider what the police are doing here:

1. The police are being asked to change a habitual way of doing things, among fellow Thais, to enforce the legislation of "morality." I feel that they do not deserve any vilification on this thread, but praise.

2. The suggestion has been made that BIB's cannot think clearly somehow. All police forces depend upon training and leadership, virtually entirely, for their performance. Venality is all around, and we only have to lurk for a while in a Bangkok discussion group regarding politics here on ThVi to find that what passes for "thinking" often derives from short term self interest (generally wrong and always selfish) in all peoples and nations. I recall my own hatred of helmet laws (before I found myself seeing blood on the pavement every week) and disregard for seat belt laws, and not so many years ago.

Well said especially the part about some of the posters on Thai Visa.

Thailand is far from perfect and far from being the worst. The point is they are changing for the better. All be it not as fast as many posters myself included would have it be. But the point is they are getting better. I just know some of the Thai haters on these forums will in there non committal way say it dosen't count because of the reason they are changing. Then again these are the people who would complain if every thing was done as per there instructions.