Skype Or Fring On Mobile Phone Network Providers In Thailand

zenplay

Hi all,

I am currently in France and I am about to move to Bangkok for work.

Is anyone experienced to use SKYPE or FRING in Thailand on 3G or EDGE network (DTAC, TRUE ...) ? Does it work correctly ?

I envisage to buy an iPhone 4 in France first and subscribe to 3G in Thailand. Is it possible ? What are the prices ?

Do I need to contract to an unlimited 3G plan to use SKYPE or FRING ?

Thank you.

ZenPlay

Hi,

I have a subscription with DTAC and I'm using a iPhone.

Please be aware that 3G is only very limited available since this is in a trial stage in Thailand. The next best alternative is EDGE.

With the provider that I have this is workable for DATA all over Thailand. But I don't now is Skype will work decently.

I use my iPhone with another VoIP application and that only works well when connected to a WiFi network. When I'm connected to EDGE then voice is very choppy and hardly understandable. Skype is also a VoIP application so I doubt if the quality is going to be better.

I use sky on my iPhone but I use wifi, you can purchase wifi cards from family mart called hot spot spider 60 baht for 60 minutes or up to or cheaper if you buy more hours , Skype is very clear, and works in all the shopping malls.

Edited by saintofsilence

Skype, fring and other voip services will not work properly while on Edge. While download speeds are usually sufficient, upload speed is not, resulting in that you can usually hear the other party, but they cannot hear you properly.

I had acceptable conversation, but only like 3 in the morning when nobody else is online.

3G is a but of a mess here, with only trial systems running, and nobody knows for how long. Not sure what frequencies the 4G support (for hsdpa), so not sure which 3G operator will work for you, presumably True will as they sell the iPhone here...

True has limited area's in bkk with 3G coverage, but nowhere else in the country.

• 4 weeks later...