Payap University To Improve Handicapped Access

richard10365

ASHA grant awarded to Payap

15. Jul. 2010

The United States Agency for International Development (USAID), through the American Schools and Hospitals Abroad (ASHA) program, has awarded Payap University US$500,000 (approx. 16,500,000 Thai baht) to complete renovations to its campus for the purpose of improving handicap accessibility. This project includes creating access ramps where needed, replacing narrow entry doors with wider ones, widening restroom stalls and providing handrails, creating additional parking spaces for those with disabilities, and installing elevators for accessibility to higher floors of selected buildings. The goal of this project is to make Payap the first university in northern Thailand to be fully accessible to those with physical challenges.

This grant was obtained through the Office of Institutional Advancement, International Affairs, Payap University.

Edited by richard10365

I asked how long this would take to accomplish and the reply was:

"Since this is an ASHA grant, it will have to follow a very detailed, comprehensive process. May take 2 plus years in total."

As I indicated...really as much an attitude problem as much as a money one.

Here is not the only place like that. $750000 I made a uni spend in australia through a discrimination case did a lot there though.

Good to see that Thailand is moving in this direction. Would be better to have seen the money come from the Thai gov't. Can't win'em all I guess

It is good that there may be change however as Payap is a private university it may be more equitable for it to fuund itself. I have issues with organisations insisting on grants for things for disabled students which they fund for others. Car Park signs and fair paths are an example.

I asked how long this would take to accomplish and the reply was:

"Since this is an ASHA grant, it will have to follow a very detailed, comprehensive process. May take 2 plus years in total."

As I indicated...really as much an attitude problem as much as a money one.

Here is not the only place like that. $750000 I made a uni spend in australia through a discrimination case did a lot there though.

While it would be nice to build the perfect university with everything it would need to satisfy every type of student, the reality is it doesn't happen like that. The mindset when the university was built was to build enough enough of a university to teach and add more as funds became avaiable. This is how most universities operate. If you check most universities website, you will notice a section that explains how to donate to the university.

For example, Payap also has informaton about donating. You can click hereto see what I am talking about.

Making Payap accessable to people with disabilities is something that Payap is very concerned about. There are new dormitories at Payap that do have ramps and elevators built for people with disabilities. Our library is handicapped accessabile. Next, we will have buildings and classrooms that are handicapped accessible as well.

People with disabilities might not be able to do everything 100% the same as others but given the right education and training they can just as productive, if not more, than anyone else. We hope to help provide that education.

Good to see that Thailand is moving in this direction. Would be better to have seen the money come from the Thai gov't. Can't win'em all I guess

It is good that there may be change however as Payap is a private university it may be more equitable for it to fuund itself. I have issues with organisations insisting on grants for things for disabled students which they fund for others. Car Park signs and fair paths are an example.

Have you yourself donated money to schools to accomplish things like that or do you expect others to do that ? Just wondering because you act like its your god given right to be equal. I mean if it came down to teaching 1 handicapped or 5 non handicapped persons what would be ethically better ?

I do think its a good idea that Thailand is moving in this direction, just like people to act themselves too.

Be aware this is not a personal attack just a question and im not assuming you never donated anything or did not do anything.

Edited by robblok

Have you yourself donated money to schools to accomplish things like that or do you expect others to do that ? Just wondering because you act like its your god given right to be equal. I mean if it came down to teaching 1 handicapped or 5 non handicapped persons what would be ethically better ?

I do think its a good idea that Thailand is moving in this direction, just like people to act themselves too.

Be aware this is not a personal attack just a question and im not assuming you never donated anything or did not do anything.

I would not know whether it is a god given right or not not as that is one for the beliefs of people. It is however recognoized as a Human Right in most countries and in the constitiution of Thailand. It is also recognised in most countries in legislation. As far as my personal actions are concerned it really is not any of your bussiness. I have donated little in money however I have donated a considerable amount of time in helping the cause of People who Have disabilities. I was an active member of Murdoch University's Disabilities discrimination Group for many years, A member of the Fremantle City Council's Consultative Commitee for at least 10 years. I have been involved in the preperation of Disability Action Plans for both or these organisations and have provided assistance in the preperation of several others.

Regardless of this it is discrimination if a person is not provided access, particuarly to education. I note Payap is a fee paying university too.

Would you like to say what you personally have done to further the Human Right s of People with a disability??

Edited by harrry

I would not know whether it is a god given right or not not as that is one for the beliefs of people. It is however recognoized as a Human Right in most countries and in the constitiution of Thailand. It is also recognised in most countries in legislation. As far as my personal actions are concerned it really is not any of your bussiness. I have donated little in money however I have donated a considerable amount of time in helping the cause of People who Have disabilities. I was an active member of Murdoch University's Disabilities discrimination Group for many years, A member of the Fremantle City Council's Consultative Commitee for at least 10 years. I have been involved in the preperation of Disability Action Plans for both or these organisations and have provided assistance in the preperation of several others.

Regardless of this it is discrimination if a person is not provided access, particuarly to education. I note Payap is a fee paying university too.

Would you like to say what you personally have done to further the Human Right s of People with a disability??

Nothing at all seems you did your fair share. Just thought maybe you are one of those militants who demand it all but don't work on a solution themselves. I am not talking just handicapped but just people in general, thinking they are entitled to everything but don't to jack to get it.

Your not one of those, my respect.

Donating time and effort is a good thing if you believe in a cause. Not all can donate money you seem to have done your fair share.

I have never done a think for people with a disability, it never really concerned me. I just go and work for the things that i want i don't wait for things to be handed over to me. You seem to be similar. I'm not even sure i did any good things in my life, other then being nice and helpful to others.

Harry, you mentioned Payap is fee paying university. If you mean that students have to pay for their tuition, then you are correct.

As a matter of fact, as far as I know, most universities in the world require some sort of fee to be paid to them. Expenses do have to be paid. Being a private university means we don't get any financial support from the government. In order to have a university, the revenues have to be generated somewhere.

You did bring up another interesting point as well Harry. You do have a lot of Experience helping those with disabilities. Once the facilities are in place to help people with disabilities to study at Payap, they might need their own resources to pay the fees at Payap (or any other university able to meet the educational needs of people with disabilities).

There might be an opportunity for someone in Northern Thailand to help organize financial resources for those with disabilities. With your expierence, you might be able to help others in Northern Thailand and perhaps other areas as well.

Edited by richard10365

Gee, if Payap is going to go after disabled students, why couldn't THEY, Payap, be the ones who pay, since they got the disabled access paid for as a donation??? What exactly makes them deserve this kind of charity? Knowing Thai thinking, it wouldn't be a surprise if they offer tuition at a premium price to disabled people, because they offer added value to those students.

Could donations like this, from other countries, be part of the reason Thai people thing farangs are so stupid? Why should some Americans care about some disabled people in a part of Thailand, and what educations they are able to get, when Thailand doesn't give a dam_n? It isn't that Thailand is incapable, they just don't give a dam_n.

There are people in the US who need educations. Who can't get educations due to a lack of money. Personally, I think we should start with ourselves. I hope there will be more then one employee of Payap who ends up appreciating this apparent waste of money.

Gee, if Payap is going to go after disabled students, why couldn't THEY, Payap, be the ones who pay, since they got the disabled access paid for as a donation??? What exactly makes them deserve this kind of charity? Knowing Thai thinking, it wouldn't be a surprise if they offer tuition at a premium price to disabled people, because they offer added value to those students.

Could donations like this, from other countries, be part of the reason Thai people thing farangs are so stupid? Why should some Americans care about some disabled people in a part of Thailand, and what educations they are able to get, when Thailand doesn't give a dam_n? It isn't that Thailand is incapable, they just don't give a dam_n.

There are people in the US who need educations. Who can't get educations due to a lack of money. Personally, I think we should start with ourselves. I hope there will be more then one employee of Payap who ends up appreciating this apparent waste of money.

A huge part of the American character is wanting to be LIKED. With all the people we have bombed recently, I don't have any problem with spreading a little love. Cheers.

Sorry to pick on you Richard, but since you seem to work at Payap, I wonder WHY Payap is so grateful for this money? Could it be because some large portion of it will be skimmed off in some sort of fraud, and only a small portion will be spent on the real changes? (I don't mean by you, but by someone, many people in fact.)

Edited by mcplumeria

Jingthing: I am not sure it is due to Americans wanting to be liked, as much as it is due to Americans honestly thinking they will be able to help. I think most Americans, can't even imagine the level of corruption that goes on in many countries, the level of corruption that the average person in these countries deals with on a regular basis. And regarding what bombing has ever been done, has America not spent big money on every place they ever had a war with? I don't know, I'm not a historian, but I believe the US has spent a lot, rebuilding Europe after WW2, rebuilding Japan, still spends money to support Korea, and the Viet Nam war? Aren't they now spending to try to build up Iraq? Well even if the US wants to give money to some country, seems like they could find more needy and worthy places. How about Haiti? Nobody is going to school there.

Strange that the Thai Government has agreed to pay the fees of disabled students and required universities to advise of how many they can take. Interesting timing.

Harry, seems you know more about this than I do. Perhaps you can enlighten me a bit more on how this works. When exactly did they decide this? I'm not totally disabled and don't know much about the issues that people with disabilities deal with. I would be very grateful for your insight into this matter.

Mcplumeria, Payap, like all universities in the world, would like as many qualified people that we can get to study at our university. This includes disabled people.

All types of organizations need money to stay competitive in the world today. Payap is no exception. There are procedures in place for organizations to request financial resourses in many different forms to include grants such as the one Payap received. Organizations who do not ask for money will get no money. Organizations such as Payap who ask for money in accordance with the established procedures might possibly receive money. We are happy our request was approved.

We do live in a world where some people are more fortunate than others. At times, these people like to share a portion of their success with others. There are thousands of organizations around the world that assist people with donating to individuals and other organizations. Payap University is only one organization out of the tens of thousands requesting external financial support to help fund their projects. We are grateful to the United States for this money.

Being an American citizen myself, I am aware of financial aid programs in the United States to assist its citizens wanting higher education. Although, no system is perfect, financial aid in the USA does help a large majority of Americans seeking higher education.

There are procedures for American citizens to get financial aid for education. Like Payap did, they have to follow a set procedure to request this. Perhaps you were not aware and that is why you commented about Americans needing money to study. I do understand how you feel, and I have known others who have felt the same way. What we found was finding these sources of grants, loans and scholarships and following procedures is the best way to help fund your education.

For more information about U.S. federal government educational financial aid, please refer to "Student Aid on the Web".

By the way, there are procedures in place that will pay for American students to study in Thailand. As a matter of fact, I am using my United States Department of Veteran Affairs(VA)educational benefits. I followed the procedures set forth by the VA to request this money and since the Payap University ciriculum is approved by the VA, my education at Payap is payed by the United States government.

Edited by richard10365

I think it may be unfair to accuse Payap with fraud. What I think will happen is the same as happens in Western Universwities. Planners want something they can show and get Brownie points for and do not make the little changes that do not cost but make a big difference. Changing attitude is the most important part and to date I have seen little in richards replies to show he really understands the needs and recognise that it is a basic human right that Payap has been discriminating against. Just like alcoholics to stop must first acknowledge they have a problem the whole university must acknowledge this. I see little to indicate this but I do applaud richard for advising us.

I think it may be unfair to accuse Payap with fraud. What I think will happen is the same as happens in Western Universwities. Planners want something they can show and get Brownie points for and do not make the little changes that do not cost but make a big difference. Changing attitude is the most important part and to date I have seen little in richards replies to show he really understands the needs and recognise that it is a basic human right that Payap has been discriminating against. Just like alcoholics to stop must first acknowledge they have a problem the whole university must acknowledge this. I see little to indicate this but I do applaud richard for advising us.

Harry, as I mentioned before, I would be grateful for your insight into this matter. If you would like to meet in person at Payap or communicate via the internet, I would appreciate your advice and opinions on this matter. Perhaps together we can solve the prolem as you see it.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for you nice, well thought response. I am happy if you can get some education here at Payap. I took some master's level classes there a few years ago, and found the school so incredibly non-demanding, the work I was given to do was so pathetically stupid, and since I have a graduate level education, I was really shocked how poor the program was. I felt totally scammed to be honest, and this thing I have heard about Payap being a place to "pay up" for your education or some joke like that seemed to be true.

I have been here long enough, that I look at everything with possible scam intentions and am absolutely sure, that no money, like this $500K grant, could possibly get spent, without corruption eating into a large portion of it. Not that if this money got spent in Haiti, the same thing wouldn't happen. However, I have learned that Thai people tend not to appreciate charity, they start thinking the person is stupid, and usually start treating a person worse, once they have your money, or feel they have the power now. That has made me feel especially NOT generous here.

For example, after the tsunami, Thaksin made a donation that Thai people seemed to think was ridicously generous. He gave $100K (USD). He is a multi-billionaire, he makes more then that every few hours of every day. But it seems like a lot to Thai people so they are impressed. Yet compare that to many celebs, who are nowhere near billionaire status, gave $1 million, and as well those people could not say they earned any of their money from Thailand, and had no special Thai connections. When we know Thaksin did earn his money here.

Or even to compare that, the billionaire PM, who donates 100K after this huge disaster in Thailand, yet the US gives $500K to make some ramps and minor adjustments to ONE school, in ONE area, to a school that I believe makes a profit? I think there should at least be some promise that this money will be used as intended, and disabled people will be able to attend at discounted or some kind of supported rates. (Something not supported by foreigners.)

Sometimes I think Thai people are just laughing at us. We come here and open schools, and orphanages for the HIV kids nobody wants, the hill tribe people, whatever, we start and manage the animal charities, we come and marry the bargirls, and buy them everything, we let Thais come to our countries and study, live, work, buy property, start businesses, and they let us do what? Nothing. And many Thai people spend a large portion of their days, talking about how we are all such stupid buffalo. I guess it does look that way!

But however, I am happy you seem to happy here!

Has anyone considered that if the campus were built handicap-accessible to begin with, this grant would not have been necessary? The Mae Khao campus is only a few years old. All of it was constructed during the age of awareness of ramps, wider doors, and other construction that would enable access to wheelchair users as well as others. The Presbyterian Church and the Church of Christ who founded Payap surely has know for a long time about handicap needs. Even with some of the best organizations involved, little or nothing is done about accessibility during new construction planning.

Has anyone considered that if the campus were built handicap-accessible to begin with, this grant would not have been necessary? The Mae Khao campus is only a few years old. All of it was constructed during the age of awareness of ramps, wider doors, and other construction that would enable access to wheelchair users as well as others. The Presbyterian Church and the Church of Christ who founded Payap surely has know for a long time about handicap needs. Even with some of the best organizations involved, little or nothing is done about accessibility during new construction planning.

Mr. Brad, I have been at Payap for a few years. The campus was here long before I was. Payap as a university started in 1974 and the first buildings on this Mae Khao campus were dedicated in 1982. Payap History That is 28 years ago. Americans with Disabilities Act was not signed into law until July 26, 1990. This is 8 years after the first buildings were built on the Mae Khao campus.

There is a good possibility that in Thailand at that time, there was not a lot of sensitivity to people with disabilities. There is nothing I or anyone else can do about the past. The decisions that were made in the past are history now and we should concentrate on making the future better for all.

As I had said before, newly constructed buildings at Payap are handicapped accessible. If anyone would like a tour of these new facilities, please let me know and I will gladly show you the progress that we are making in regards to making our university accessible to people with disabilities. You are very welcome to come.