Think It's Dangerous Here In Issan

ray23

I feel safer in Hawaii but since I can't afford that, then I live here. I live a better way of life (cheaper food and housing) and I have a great family here and am happy to live here. To say that I feel safer here would be a LIE. Granted Hawaii can't be compared totally or even at all with the rest of the BIG cities of the US but it's still a great place. I was in Hawaii for 24 years and was never drugged and robbed. I lived here over the last 3 years and have been robbed, burnt with ciggarettes and dumped on the road. I can't blame Thailand for that because I let my guard down but I at least think I wouldn't have had this happen to me in Hawaii.

Just my opinion, doesn't mean that it means anything

It really doesn't matter as it's all water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned . I learned a valuble lesson and will go on. Still it does make you think about what is going to happen in the future.

Howdy Kringle,

I am glad to hear that you never had problems in your years in Hawaii.But In the 2 weeks that my brother and I visited our parents,who lived there for 3 years.We got robbed twice in two different areas of Wikakie beach.And we are a couple of seasoned travelers and not into anything shady.Just my little bit about Hawaii.

Issan is a fantastic place!But then again I love Thai culture and my beautiful Issan wife.Can not stand the city life in any city or country.Just love the solatude and safety of Issan. :o

Lovekindness to All, :D

[

In Issan, the mil's house is shut up like fort knoxs everynight & never left empty, ever. There is always someone in that house & they have nothing of any real value. The house is ramashackle & their possesions are fairly old, except the tv & washing machine I gave them when we moved to England, which were 3 years old but it didn't stop someone from trying to kick the door in one night last year & frightening the ###### out of two old ladies & two small kids, which is why, when we went back this year we replaces the doors, windows & secured the front gate. Crime is everywhere, crap people are everywhere & dont' be lulled into a false sense of security in LOS as it can happen to you, but like in your own country, it's usually opportunists.

Hi Boo,

My friend is a headmaster in a village school near Bandung, Udon Thani province.

A couple of years ago his school got a couple of computers, opportunist thieves broke in and took them. Ever since teachers and residents of the village have a rota to sleep in the school. Yabba is a big problem, the kids need the money for Yabba, inter village gangs with motorbikes fight each other, worse when a Lukthung company does a concert in the area.

I agree with Boo if you have a house make sure you have grilles on the downstairs windows, and keep the gate locked at night with PIR lights.

Flashman

Some might consider Sukhumvit to be a seedy area but I do not. This happened to me in an area I thought would be fairly safe. It was my own fault for letting my guard down. It definitely woke me up. Like anywhere in the world, you always have to be aware of what's happenning around you.

I can seem to get this pic to show up but will try again.

Burned off warts?

:D

If you think those are from burning off warts, then I don't want to go to your doctor. I didn't feel a thing till the next day. If you have some warts that need to come off, then please PM me as I would love to do the same to you. Can't quarantee it won't hurt while I'm doing it and that I'll hit every wart and won't say it won't hurt after it's done, but I'll gladly show you what it feels like you fvckwit.

Yai yen-yen, Kringle. Your post basically said "this happened to me on Sukhumvit" and showed a picture of a back with red spots. Can't blame us for speculating as to the casues of said spots. Knocked down by motorbike? Lost a sigarette inside your shirt? Allergic to mossies? We are dying to know...... :o

To cut it short: I got drugged in a bar in Nana Plaza, I guess they burned me with cigarettes to make sure I was drugged or for whatever reason and robbed me, then threw me out on the road down by the Bangkok railway station. Happened almost a year ago. I posted in TV back then in Sept. of 2004 trying to warn people of what can happen to you. Got some really stupid comments saying that "I asked for it" or "I deserved this" and such. Don't want to see anymore comments like this as it was intended as just a warning for others.

Edited by Kringle

Some might consider Sukhumvit to be a seedy area but I do not. This happened to me in an area I thought would be fairly safe. It was my own fault for letting my guard down. It definitely woke me up. Like anywhere in the world, you always have to be aware of what's happenning around you.

I can seem to get this pic to show up but will try again.

Burned off warts?

:D

If you think those are from burning off warts, then I don't want to go to your doctor. I didn't feel a thing till the next day. If you have some warts that need to come off, then please PM me as I would love to do the same to you. Can't quarantee it won't hurt while I'm doing it and that I'll hit every wart and won't say it won't hurt after it's done, but I'll gladly show you what it feels like you fvckwit.

Yai yen-yen, Kringle. Your post basically said "this happened to me on Sukhumvit" and showed a picture of a back with red spots. Can't blame us for speculating as to the casues of said spots. Knocked down by motorbike? Lost a sigarette inside your shirt? Allergic to mossies? We are dying to know...... :o

Sorry guys looks like a got another flame fest going, not my attention. Truth is no matter where you live you have to do things in a reasonble and safe manner. The exposure can be higher in some places then in others. I don't consider threats of theft to be that significant as they can be protected from fairly easy. Our house in Udon is very seldom left vacant. If we go on vacation the housekeeper stays in it until we return. Generaly burglers want no confrontation, that is why they are burglers ( sneak thiefs) instead of robbers. So if your house is a target and most of the farrangs homes are, not be because of what we have but what people think we have. That is fairly easy to protect and if there is a loss thing can be replaced people can not. Interestingly enough in my Thai neighborhood I would venture to say you will find more items of value such as gold jewelry and cash in the Thia home then you would in mine.

Home invasion robberies thus far seem to to be rare here, not so in the states.

I have had theft in my homes from workers but nothing of any real significance.

There was short period of time that gangs here would assault lone female riders take thier purse cell phones cash and sometimes thier motorcycles. They would knock them off thier motorcycles to accomplish. Not one time did I ever hear of a male being attacked, nor any farrangs. This was simply a juvenile cowarly gang preying on what they percieved to be weak wasy target. I think the cop finally got a handle on this and the problem went away.

I thai friend was shot to death in his home in Nong Kia last year, but you know if you owe money to the right people don't pay them and tell them to go fly a kite, you could have a problem anywhere.

A group of farrangs got beaten at a Udon disco, not to long ago. But you how would you feel if you took your favorite little lady out dancing and some guy decided she was a hooker and treated her that way. Might get your attention. Once I left the playground in elementry school I never saw a fair fight in my life. So a group of Thai guy reminded them that they were not in elementry school any longer although they were drunk and acting like it.

So here in Udon you still have to conduct yourself in a reasonable manner, if you don't you can be a victim here to.

But I don't really worry to much about getting hit by random gunfire from gang battles and drivebys, it definetly something that I to be aware of in my home town.

So here's to the peaceful life here in Issan

To cut it short: I got drugged in a bar in Nana Plaza, I guess they burned me with cigarettes to make sure I was drugged or for whatever reason and robbed me, then threw me out on the road down by the Bangkok railway station. Happened almost a year ago. I posted in TV back then in Sept. of 2004 trying to warn people of what can happen to you. Got some really stupid comments saying that "I asked for it" or "I deserved this" and such. Don't want to see anymore comments like this as it was intended as just a warning for others.

Ok, Kringle - got it. Sorry to hear about the incident. Guess it would serve as a useful reminder to people who missed your post last year.

BTW - I am sure you have asked yourself "why me?". Any idea? Were you carrying valuables, gold, dressed or behaving differently? Any chance you may have p#ssed someone off in Nana, intentionally or not?

Edited by WhiteShiva

Only thing I can figure is they got a look at my wallet as I went with some cash earlier to buy a tv from someone from the forum and when I got there the tele was already sold so I had more than my usual money on me . It's the only thing I can figure. I would still like to post a pic up around Nana so people are aware to watch out.

So here's to the peaceful life here in Issan

Here,here. :D

I think my life in rural Isaan is very peaceful...... :D

I haven't had problems with anyone....... :D

Perhaps I am lucky or then again maybe it's because I make an effort to get on with the locals.... :o

Some might consider Sukhumvit to be a seedy area but I do not.

I just mentioned it was a seedy area not just because it was Sukhumvit as a whole, but in a go go bar in Nana Plaza where of course you will often find some dodgy people into drugging and robbing.

I remember the post and the wrongful bashing you got from many people, mainly Pudgie at the time and wasn't critiscising but it has to be said it was a seedy area to be in and that is why there was more chance of you being a victim of this crime.

Some might consider Sukhumvit to be a seedy area but I do not.

I just mentioned it was a seedy area not just because it was Sukhumvit as a whole, but in a go go bar in Nana Plaza where of course you will often find some dodgy people into drugging and robbing.

I remember the post and the wrongful bashing you got from many people, mainly Pudgie at the time and wasn't critiscising but it has to be said it was a seedy area to be in and that is why there was more chance of you being a victim of this crime.

I need to go talk to Budda I'm going to Bangkok LOL

Well Ray I have read this whole line of thought the good and the bad. Maybe Bubba ought to be talked to but to make my thought come out here is what I have come on. Here in the US when Junior and the boys get out to do damage they take their guns and think they have to do harm to show they are men. In Issan they have to do it with thier hands and wiskey. Hope they don't get to be like the punks here. Don't think you have to worry about drive by in Issan. Had a friend's son get killed by a punk just trying to show he was good enough to get into a gang. Had another friend kid cut up because she would not put out at a gang meeting. Fine upstanding fellas I am sure attending that meeting. I am sure all of these folks attend church every Sunday.

Guess I will take my chances in Issan. Know it is getting worse in Issan but has a way to go before it gets this bad.

Well Ray I have read this whole line of thought the good and the bad.  Maybe Bubba ought to be talked to but to make my thought come out here is what I have come on.  Here in the US when Junior and the boys get out to do damage they take their guns and think they have to do harm to show they are men.  In Issan they have to do it with thier hands and wiskey.  Hope they don't get to be like the punks here.  Don't think you have to worry about drive by in Issan.  Had a friend's son get killed by a punk just trying to show he was good enough to get into a gang.  Had another friend kid cut up because she would not put out at a gang meeting.  Fine upstanding fellas I am sure attending that meeting.  I am sure all of these folks attend church every Sunday.

Guess I will take my chances in Issan.  Know it is getting worse in Issan but has a way to go before it gets this bad.

Ok guys I survived Bangkok, but in all honesty. I do things much differently in Bangkok then I do in Issan. It is a very different palce then Udon and I'm much more careful there then I am here. mt Thailand experience is based on how things are where I am. I honestly believe that in a larger city the chances are increases for problems simply because the more people the more exposure. I enjoyed myself but I'm very happy to be home again.

• 3 weeks later...
You guys should visit Beirut here, in Sydney. :o

Or even up here in rural brisbane, Heroin capitol of Australia, But the first englishmen to be murdered in Isaan was 21 yearold James Box was killed by a jealous thai boyfriend on monday 30th of november 1965 in Bahn Koed Ko Kahn, near leong nok tha,nignoy