Isuzu Mu-7 Or Toyota Fortuner

I'm planning on taking possession of a Toyota Fortuner 3.0 Diesel Automatic in August but came across the Isuzu MU-7 and wondered what you guys thought about it. How does the MU-7 compare with the Fortuner?

Anybody out their got an MU-7 ?

Thanks

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The MU7 is a car and the fortuner is a CAR! :o

However the test results between both gave a minus for the airco of the fortuner.

I have a fortuner 2.7 and I am very happy with it .Diesel too mjuch noice for me

The MU7 is a car and the fortuner is a CAR! :o

However the test results between both gave a minus for the airco of the fortuner.

I have a fortuner 2.7 and I am very happy with it .Diesel too mjuch noice for me

I test drove the diesel 3.0 fortuner(though not on the highway) specifically to check for high noise issues. The noise was not a problem; however I did not test drive the gasoline(benzene) 2.7 to make a direct comparison.

I'd say the Fortuner is a FREAK'n CAR!

I think the sales figures speak for themselves. :o

What an ugly car the MU7 is.I think the designers at Thai Rung were on the wacky backy.

I thought so too :D

I don't remember the detail of the contents but Bangkok Post Motoring Section ran an article on Fortuner & MU7 review a few months ago and gave Fortuner a much higher ratings than MU7 in just about every aspect. The only drawback with Fortuner is 5 - 6 months delivery lead time for diesel version and there will be too many of them on the streets by the time you get one.

Edited by Nordlys

...  The only drawback with Fortuner is 5 - 6 months delivery lead time for diesel version and there will be too many of them on the streets by the time you get one.

I'm getting mine in less than 6 weeks from now (total wait time just over 2 months) because a friend nows a dealer down south.

:D

...and there will be too many of them on the streets by the time you get one.

this is always a fleeting thing, you can almost never have a shiny new toy that

lots & lots of other people won't have soon after you get yours. :o

I'm getting mine in less than 6 weeks from now (total wait time just over 2 months) because a friend nows a dealer down south.

:o

Did you order diesel or petrol? That is a very fast delivery if it's diesel! :D

Did you buy it cash or finance? And if financing, what is the interest rate they're charing you (and how many months?)? Is it still 2.75% interest rate for 48 months financing with 20% down payment?

The MU7 is a car and the fortuner is a CAR! :D

I agree the Fortuner is a great car! :D !

I have the 3.0 Diesel Manual, I personally don't like driving automatics.

I don't have any problems with noise, in fact it is extremely quiet for a diesel car.

I love it! :o !

I'm getting mine in less than 6 weeks from now (total wait time just over 2 months) because a friend knows a dealer down south.

Did you buy it cash or finance? And if financing, what is the interest rate they're charing you (and how many months?)? Is it still 2.75% interest rate for 48 months financing with 20% down payment?

I ordered the Diesel - after all it gets 11-12 kilometers per liter whereas the petrol/benzene only gets about 9 - a 20% difference. Its nice to have friends with the right friends. :D

I would have loved to get the manual trans but my wife(Thai) said no way Jose! I am just happy to be getting it. Going to put it my wifes' name - since my wife is Thai , financing is not a problem. Don't forget that the 2.75% is not what we think of, since it's 2.75% of the original loan amount paid each and every year until the loan is paid off.

I don't have any problems with noise, in fact it is extremely quiet for a diesel car.

That's great to hear, quiet on the highway and in the city. Don't know why that guy said it was noisy(maybe he just meant diesel engines in general)

I would have preferred to wait to see what happens with the Thai-Japanese free trade agreement, perhaps a reduction in auto import taxes; but we decided not to wait(for reasons you may find out about later if you check these forums on occassion). Of course, just today, the govt announced a crack-down on energy usage and particularly singled out high Diesel Consumption Autos(as well as high electricity usage) for sanctions - perhaps additional excise taxes for Diesel Cars with engines over 2L.

I had test driven the MU7, but not the fortuner. I like the looks of Fortuner better.

The MU7 is a fast truck, not noisy as I thought.It claims good fuel economy. It is priced cheaper too.

The interior fit is not as good as forutner. The left glove box need to slam hard to keep it shut.

The suspension is acceptable to me, but the most horrible is the old model Sport Rider. I just hope the Fortuner's ride comfort is not that bad.

I'm getting mine in less than 6 weeks from now (total wait time just over 2 months) because a friend knows a dealer down south.

I ordered the Diesel - after all it gets 11-12 kilometers per liter whereas the petrol/benzene only gets about 9 - a 20% difference. Its nice to have friends with the right friends. :D

I would have loved to get the manual trans but my wife(Thai) said no way Jose! I am just happy to be getting it. Going to put it my wifes' name - since my wife is Thai , financing is not a problem. Don't forget that the 2.75% is not what we think of, since it's 2.75% of the original loan amount paid each and every year until the loan is paid off.

That's great to hear, quiet on the highway and in the city. Don't know why that guy said it was noisy(maybe he just meant diesel engines in general)

I would have preferred to wait to see what happens with the Thai-Japanese free trade agreement, perhaps a reduction in auto import taxes; but we decided not to wait(for reasons you may find out about later if you check these forums on occassion). Of course, just today, the govt announced a crack-down on energy usage and particularly singled out high Diesel Consumption Autos(as well as high electricity usage) for sanctions - perhaps additional excise taxes for Diesel Cars with engines over 2L.

Is the Fortuner comfortable – sure is! I drive a diesel Ford Ranger 2.9L auto and a petrol Fortuner. I liked my Ford (my passengers didn’t) until I got the Fortuner, now my Ford reminds me of Fred Flintstone’s car it's that basic in comparison. The Fortuner is fast, extremely quiet, very comfortable, that I forget it’s a suped-up pick-up. I can't believe anybody who buys a Fortuner will regret it.

I don't think Thai-Japanese FTA accord will affect Fortuner price in any way. It's a locally assembled car and I'm not sure if there's one imported part from Japan used for Fortuner assembly. If anything, the interest rate will likely go up again by the time FTA deal will be concluded.

I don't think Thai-Japanese FTA accord will affect Fortuner price in any way. It's a locally assembled car and I'm not sure if there's one imported part from Japan used for Fortuner assembly. If anything, the interest rate will likely go up again by the time FTA deal will be concluded.

It's not the Fortuner's price(tax) I'm thinking about - its the foreign imported cars that may be better than the Fortuner and that will be cheaper if taxes come down.

It's not the Fortuner's price(tax) I'm thinking about - its the foreign imported cars that may be better than the Fortuner and that will be cheaper if taxes come down.

Like what?

Would you rather pay B2 million + for an SUV and buy a Lexus RX300 provided the import duty will be reduced to 40%? Either way the import duty will not be scrapped completely and neither the manufacturer nor Thai gov't will do anything that would compromise the sales of the locally assembled car for which they have heavy invested its plant on.

BTW, for the price you pay for diesel Fortuner in Thailand, you can really buy non-hybrid Lexus RX300 in Japan. But it's not gonna land in Thailand at slightly higher price than Fortuner even after the FTA accord.

Mu7 has nothing to do with Thairung - Thairung sells its own modified version of Isuzy truck called ... Who cares.

Toyota designed their Fortuner around the new tax structure, Isuzu didn't. Most important points - shorter wheel base and spring suspension. and the little things too - Fortuner is a new vehicle, whereas MU-7 is mainly a rival to a previous generation of pickup based SUVs - Sportrider and G-Wagon.

Off the point.

Isuzu still maintains the one-ton pickup truck top selling spot, yet the guys at Toyota do not seem to be overy concerened.

Here's my speculation. Toyota already has the lead in 4WD section outselling Isuzu by 3 to 1. The only thing it lacks is a macho looking 2wd truck that makes like 90% of sales for Isuzu. Once they get it out, Isuzu is dead.

At the moment 2wd truck from Toyota has very small wheels and low suspension, and just doesn't look good. If Toyota folks make a genuine rival to Isuzu's Highlander, the market is theirs.

Overall, only a nutcase would buy MU7.

The reason the Japanese are taking over the U.S. auto market is because they know how to screw things together properly something the Americans seem to be forgetting, (and the British have forgotten!) (Izuzu is owned by Ford).

I would never buy an American / UK/ car over a Jap unless it was about Sex.

I.ve got a gasoline 2.7 Fortuner Auto and just passed 10000 kms. I like this car a lot; it's suprisingly quiet when cruising and even under hard acceleration the engine is not harsh. It has good acceleration for a vehicle weighing nearly 2 tonnes. The ride is good but make sure the tyre pressures are at the Toyota recommended and not puffed up 60% or more as delivered or it will hop all over the road.

Although it has a ladder frame the rear suspension is coil springs not leaf springs. The build quality is excellent and, as far as I am concerned the new price is very good albeit dependent on foreign exchange rates if you are remitting money from outside LOS.

Being permanent 4 wheel drive and being heavy with a higher C of G than a car or regular pick up truck cornering has to be thought out ahead by reducing speed then applying power around the bend or the car will understeer. Soon learned and then you can corner at reasonable speeds with confidence.

The seating arrangements suits me fine. The two fold-down rear seats are full size with reasonable leg room and seat belts so will take adults. I often need to carry bulky loads and the flexibility of the seat arrangements allows this. Last week I had 4 WCs in boxes plus suitcases and household effects.

The rear view via the internal and big door mirrors is VG and, surprisingly, there is not a lot of wind noise from the mirrors.

My trip computer is currently indicating 9.7 kms/litre which is a mix of long distance and city (BKK) driving.

For the times when faced with off-road conditions there is a centrelocking differential selectable in High and Low ratios. However, you cannot shift - on - the - fly with the Auto version but need to stop first.

If you are looking for a vehicle mainly for off road use or crappy rural roads then the diesel Manual version would be preferred.

Dislikes? Nothing major. It's difficult to judge the off side wing (fender) position initially and my diminutive Thai wife sitting low has a serious problem seeing over the hood so does not drive it. The LCD display for the 'climate control' is difficult to see under daylight conditions. The instrument lighting is not bright eneough under some daylight conditions and does not seem to 'auto' dim when the lights are selected on. The drivers seat back adjusts with a lever in fixed steps rather than with a handwheel in infinite setting.

All in all I am well satisfied.

(Note: I looked at all the other SUVs prior to purchase including the MU-7 but the Fortuner got my vote)

I'm planning on taking possession of a Toyota Fortuner 3.0 Diesel Automatic in August but came across the Isuzu MU-7 and wondered what you guys thought about it. How does the MU-7 compare with the Fortuner?

Anybody out their got an MU-7 ?

Thanks

I.ve got a gasoline 2.7 Fortuner Auto and just passed 10000 kms. I like this car a lot; it's suprisingly quiet when cruising and even under hard acceleration the engine is not harsh.

Peter, why did you choose the Gasoline version over the Diesel model, waiting list, or noise levels?

I keep hearing people talking about the Fortuner being a Fast car, how fast is it?

Edited by Bilko

I chose th gas version because I dislike the clatter of a diesel engine. Unlike Europe where makers have spent a lot of money refining diesel engines to the point where they are now acceptable in passenger cars, I don't believe that makers here think that they need to pander to the pax car users here since their volume sales are in pick-up diesel trucks for the rural masses.

That said, the diesel vesion of the Fortuner is a good car mainly due to the sound proofing which is also on the gas version.

I am retired and don't expect (once I move to my new house) to be doing the sort of mileage that I am now running up so I am not overly concerned about gasoline prices versus diesel fuel prices. Before I bought, I forecast that fuel prices in LOS would increase and that the gap between diesel and gasoline would reduce. Do the sums. The diesel version of Fortuner costs 100k more than the gasoline version. Work out how much gasoline you could buy with 100k before you reach the break point even taking into account the better fuel economy of the diesel.

Nigglers will suggest that the diesel version would have a higher resale price but, in my case that's of little interest. I like the quietness of the gas version even though it uses more fuel. If you are a commuter, get the diesel.

As to 'how fast is it'? Toyota claim 180 kms/hr but I stick to the speed limits generally (he11, I'm retired and don't need to go anywhere in a hurry!) so I have never gone over 120 kms/hr where legal.

I.ve got a gasoline 2.7 Fortuner Auto and just passed 10000 kms. I like this car a lot; it's suprisingly quiet when cruising and even under hard acceleration the engine is not harsh.

Peter, why did you choose the Gasoline version over the Diesel model, waiting list, or noise levels?

I keep hearing people talking about the Fortuner being a Fast car, how fast is it?

I couldn't have say it better :o

Have 5K on the teller with an average of 40km/hr and a fuel consumption of 10,0 km/ltr.

Although I still believe they could have done a better job on the AC system.

But I am happy with the car

I've test driven the toyota and the Isuzu(diesel), The toyota wins hands down on everything no contest really, it'nt the diesel more powerful than the petrol? cant remember. I've got a 4wd 4 door isuzu pick up with a cab on the back even my brother-in-laws toyota vigo (just the 2wd truck) is better in nearly all aspects (exept going off road and the rear seats) It feels like a sports car after driving the Isuzu.

In the end though I decided to keep the one I've got, might go for the toyota 4 door, 4wd pick-up as I often need the carrying space in the back, but never sit there :o

How long is the waiting list for the 2.7 petrol Fortuner?

Assuming you're question refers to the wait in Bangkok - I talked to several dealers and the petrol/regular gasoline Fortuner is available essentially immediatedly 3-4 weeks.

How long is the waiting list for the Diesel Fortuner?

Anybody know ?    :o

Again, assuming you're question refers to the wait in Bangkok - I talked to several dealers and the diesel 3.0 Liter AUTOMATIC Fortuner is available in anywhere from 5-7 months, though I heard you can pay some under the table money(around 15K baht, got to know where to go and how to 'talk the talk') and get it in 3-4 weeks. I think that the MANUAL transmission Diesel is available in one month, but I'm not sure on that since the spouse said no-way.

Hi

My couple of cents worth. Go for the Toyota. In my personal experience best vehicle of ANY type. Top Gear (BBC TV) did a feature on a Toyota pick-up recently where they tried to “kill” it by various means including parking it on top of a demolishing multistory block of flats which it survived. They drove it into the studio afterwards.

Toyota always.

The Fortuner isn't exactly a converted pickup. Toyota developed its new platform having in mind that it will serve in various shapes, Fortuner as an SUV, Innova as an MPV, and Vigo as a pickup. They are, of course, very close to each other, but it isn't exactly the same as "we have a great pickup, now let's put an SUV body on it" approach. Sportrider was a converted pickup, MU7 is a converted pickup.

Also don't forget that in those days there were different regulations for SUVs and pickups - in wheelbase length, road clearance, suspension, etc. that don't exist anymore.