Abhisit's Charm And Schmoozing Are Losing Their Spell

webfact

SIDELINES

Abhisit's charm and schmoozing are losing their spell

By Sopon Onkgara

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Primwe Minister Abhisit has been mending fences, making friends and schmoozing with major media houses, hoping that his charm will cast an effective spell on those who are willing to listen to his grievances and his beseeching for understanding.

As chief executive, the young politician - who has experienced severe tests of leadership and a series of crises that exceed anything suffered by his predecessors - still hopes that his smooth words and manners will enable him to muddle through all the obstacles and adversity with some support from the media.

Of course, he professes a willingness to hear all criticism from friend and foe alike. But what other choices are there? Politicians have to be baby kissers and wear brave faces in public amidst the boos and jeers. At times, hard objects fly around them, and in the worst cases, bullets from snipers.

So far Abhisit has survived all these threats through sheer luck and circumstance, despite his desire sometime to call it quits amidst the growing pressure and the intensity of the crisis.

After putting the red shirts in disarray, with some in captivity awaiting criminal trial following the mayhem and bloodshed in May, the young politician seems more confident that he does not need any more friends and supporters like those who paved the way for him to win the premiership. That means the People's Alliance for Democracy, 79 of whose members and affiliates are now facing charges of terrorism.

In effect, Abhisit has burned the most crucial bridges - which could have given him some leeway for escape in the event that his enemies are able to put him in a tight position. This is likely to occur in the next few weeks, if not several days ahead, due to self-inflicted hardship.

Without the PAD's unrelenting campaigns against Thaksin Shinawatra, now a criminal fugitive and accused terrorist in self-imposed exile, Abhisit would still be just an eloquent orator as House opposition leader. He would have had virtually no chance of taking the premiership if not for the opportune military coup four years ago.

The Democrats' political habits and tradition of not differentiating between friends and foes are hard to change. They tend to forget their friends and supporters once they gain political power, either due to meanness or internal rivalries based on mistrust among the factions in conflict for power. There may also be other reasons, best known to themselves.

If Abhisit has ever shown any courage at all, it was his admission the other day that the present government system remains ridden with blatant corruption, with a standard rate of 30 per cent for kickbacks for all sorts of projects. That admission came after the president of the Board of Trade of Thailand, Dusit Nonthanakorn, uttered aloud that businessmen continue to suffer a high rate of kickback demands, making Thai products uncompetitive abroad and causing extra hardship to local consumers.

By this process, bureaucrats and politicians are enriching themselves at the expense of declining competitiveness and a rotten political system. Abhisit, with only a sheepish smile, did not offer any plausible solution to the problem.

As chief executive, he is the one who can put out the stop signs for the greedy hands of Cabinet members forever in the cookie jar. But so far, no attempt has been made to do so.

Today, he faces another test with the proposal to buy a fleet of 4,000 NGV-fuelled buses being presented to the Cabinet for approval. This project, like all others, promises very handsome kickbacks for the patron.

There has been a public outcry over the shady nature of the deal, but Abhisit is still resistant to applying pressure on those who want to get their snouts in trough. It is said that the spoils received by the recipients of the kickbacks - a sizeable portion of the deal, if not half - will be shared with the key partner. We all know about this arrangement.

Another test of Abhisit's leadership concerns the ongoing sinister plan by Cambodia to seize Thai territories on land and at sea. This is being done via the attempt to register the Preah Vihear temple complex as a World Heritage site; and Thailand also stands to lose vast petroleum resources in the Gulf of Thailand.

If that indeed happens, Abhisit will have a long story to tell the Thai people in order to justify his ignorance. If his tale of woe is not convincing, then his days are numbered despite the charm and suave grin.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-20

The Democrats' political habits and tradition of not differentiating between friends and foes are hard to change.

So, what Khun Sopon is suggesting is that because the PAD supported Abhisit, that Abhisit should look after them.

But Abhisit isn't playing ball, and letting the PAD deal with their own problems that they caused.

Good.

Khun Sopon Says

"There has been a public outcry over the shady nature of the deal, but Abhisit is still resistant to applying pressure on those who want to get their snouts in trough. It is said that the spoils received by the recipients of the kickbacks - a sizeable portion of the deal, if not half - will be shared with the key partner. We all know about this arrangement"

A public outcry I Hadn't heard of it. Probably just a whimper around the Nation news room.

"Another test of Abhisit's leadership concerns the ongoing sinister plan by Cambodia to seize Thai territories on land and at sea. This is being done via the attempt to register the Preah Vihear temple complex as a World Heritage site"

Makes you wonder if his cigarettes smell funny. All Abhisit is trying to do is say the world court is wrong and King Rama the fifth didn't really mean it when he agreed to the border line with Cambodia. At least he learned from the red shirts. He now makes baseless accusations.

The main thing I like about Abhisit is he is one of the few who will not be corrupted by TS's money or give in to his madness: if there was one thing proven by this year's redshirt incident it was this, and for this reason alone I'd like to see him in office as long as possible. No slight intended, but I see him as more the gentleman-diplomat type, as opposed to a (words censored) operator in Thai internal politics.

Politicians accusing each other of corruption is like hearing bar girls denounce each other as w_hores.

He is just trying to make the English language readers of the Nation believe that Abhisit owes something to the PAD. Maybe Sondhi and his crowd are starting to sweat a little.

Whatever we all believe about how Abhisit got to be where he is today, it is valid under the law of Thailand. The PAD forced Thaksin out. Who would he have preferred to become PM, and who would he prefer now? Newin? He wants the whole cake and to eat it all. Thaksin out, Abhisit in debt to the PAD forever.

Abhisit didn't write the laws that put him where he is, the MP's voted and that is it and it would appear that he believes he doesn't owe anyone anything.

Funny though, I see Abhisit as someone who appears to be doing the job now because he genuinely wants to be a good PM, not because he is on some vain glorious pilgrimage to fame and fortune. He might be wrong or right about issues, but he isn't one of the 30% clip artists.

Sophon can't have it both ways. Either the system is dirty or the system is clean?

Either there was a conspiracy between the PAD, army, BJT and the Democrats or there wasn't, which is it Khun Sophon? Are you admitting that there was (shock and horror) some skullduggery and underhand back room negotiation to get this man into his job, but only if he paid patronage back to some?

In which case it appears that because Abhisit owes the PAD he should assist in some way for them to avoid punishment for their conduct. Oh the stench of twisted morality.

He is simply highlighting how the supposedly high brow (reading this one would believe low brow) of Thai society want their politicians. Firmly in their place under someone's thumbs, in this case the PAD's. What is written here is so detrimental to Thai society it is unbelievable; the fundamental belief that some are more equal than others in the eye's of the law.

Thank god we don't have to live completely in the world according to Khun Sophon. I doubt we would ever have an elected parliament at all (despite all its imperfections).

The Democrats' political habits and tradition of not differentiating between friends and foes are hard to change.

So, what Khun Sopon is suggesting is that because the PAD supported Abhisit, that Abhisit should look after them.

But Abhisit isn't playing ball, and letting the PAD deal with their own problems that they caused.

Good.

Mr Sopon lacks credibility, long-term, as a reporter, even this latest piece is all over the place, and I have my doubts that his assertion: " Abhisit's Charm And Schmoozing Are Losing Their Spell" is correct.

In modern times the public at large, including reporters, would normally be praising elected officials who stand their ground and not bow to 'peer' pressures etc. And I for one teach and remind my kids that they should stand up for what is right and moral!

If we are to support Sopon's suggestion that politicians support their brothers at all costs, then surely that approach would also apply to the police (and more), in other words the police would be accountable to themselves rather than accountable to the public of Thailand (their rmployer).

Mr Sopon, can I suggest you do a rethink here.

The main thing I like about Abhisit is he is one of the few who will not be corrupted by TS's money or give in to his madness: if there was one thing proven by this year's redshirt incident it was this, and for this reason alone I'd like to see him in office as long as possible. No slight intended, but I see him as more the gentleman-diplomat type, as opposed to a (words censored) operator in Thai internal politics.

Politicians accusing each other of corruption is like hearing bar girls denounce each other as w_hores.

So, are you saying you want a w_hore in office as long as possible?

If you google body language excessive eye blinking and then count the blink rate of the suave orator you will see a blink rate of nearly 120 times per minute, and this is a decrease from previously. Two and two equals four, always has, always will.

So, are you saying you want a w_hore in office as long as possible?

Sure, if their honest lol.

If you google body language excessive eye blinking and then count the blink rate of the suave orator you will see a blink rate of nearly 120 times per minute, and this is a decrease from previously. Two and two equals four, always has, always will.

Are you really saying that something as inexact as body language and particularly reading a solitary aspect of this inexact and easily subject to manipulation and quite often is misinterpreted is just as precise and unquestionable as sums in simple arithmetic?

Perhaps a review of "Body Language For Dummies" is in order as it wholly disputes your contention:

http://books.google.com.vn/books?id=7xzhVIwIqSMC&pg=PA259&lpg=PA259&dq=wrong+conclusions+BODY+language&source=bl&ots=BTUMuHJ_JO&sig=DzOUosyqPtyWzsovOC6Wrsmx28I&hl=en&ei=BJ1FTMKeO42kvgO8gs29Ag&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CDIQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=wrong%20conclusions%20BODY%20language&f=false

Actually body language is a science that psychologists, police and loads of others use.

It is quite precise results wise. Think you should research it a bit more before passing half assed judgements.

Perhaps you need to go beyond body language for dummies to give a qualified opinioin.

This baby face is good enough for me, PM or not PM. My pals and I just cannot stop loving him.

I am glad that you admit his appearance is the main reason that you like him. Very Thai, if it looks nice it must be good!

Thinking like this will keep Thailand in the third world for a long time to come.

This baby face is good enough for me, PM or not PM. My pals and I just cannot stop loving him.

I am glad that you admit his appearance is the main reason that you like him. Very Thai, if it looks nice it must be good!

Thinking like this will keep Thailand in the third world for a long time to come.

And what kind of thinking keeps you living here?

Actually body language is a science that psychologists, police and loads of others use.

It is quite precise results wise. Think you should research it a bit more before passing half assed judgements.

Perhaps you need to go beyond body language for dummies to give a qualified opinioin.

I'd be happy to read your evidence that one solitary aspect of body language on its own reveals "precise results" because psychologists and police and loads of others (as long as they are professional) would never be such a dummie as to extend the principals that far.

<BR>
<BR>
<BR>This baby face is good enough for me, PM or not PM. My pals and I just cannot stop loving him.<BR>
<BR><BR><BR>I am glad that you admit his appearance is the main reason that you like him. Very Thai, if it looks nice it must be good!<BR>Thinking like this will keep Thailand in the third world for a long time to come.<BR>
<BR><BR>And what kind of thinking keeps you living here?<BR>
<BR><BR><BR>Many reasons including my job, the friendly people, the hot weather, the Thai food and inexpensive accomodation. How about you? Edited by landofthefree