Another Way To Lose Your Car

Immobilzation done via an electronically coded key and controlled by the vehicle's ECU is going to take a sophisticated criminal - one with their own replacement EEPROM (or whole ECU) specifically programmed for your Make/Model/Engine, which will take 5-30 mins to install, and that's after they've physically gotten into the car. You'd only be worried about this if you had an exotic worth Millions. If someone's going to steal your car here in Thailand it's infinitely more plausible that they'd just steal the keys directly from you, or from your home.
A common way for the pros to do it is to have car manufactorers programming computer and spare remotes to be programmed, or to simply copy/record the signal from your remote when you use it.I assume they also have a tracking device detector, or noise generator. Any car can be stolen, but factory alarm and immobilizer is rather safe, and makes most thiefes choose another vehicle. Unfortunately Vigo 4x4 are very popular in all neighboring countries without any documents following vehicle

As a friend of friends discovered last week there is, unfortunately, also another way. He had leased his Vigo to a rental agency in Rayong to rent out for him and they had absconded with his pick up and several others. The police have since arrested ten people in connection with the theft, but no vehicles have been recovered.

His insurance company have told him that although he had first class insurance he was not covered (I presume because of a "not for hire or reward" exclusion clause, but I don't know) so they have refused to pay any compensation and he still has a year's payments to make on the car.

Bummer - be warned!

Edited by JohnLeech

HI

They dont want to pay even if you have insurance for renting out the car, a girl i know rented out her car and the car was gone for 7 months and then the police used the car as well, her insurance did not pay and did not want to pay, she found the car herself, the numbers on the car had been changed, this is now in the blue book that the numbers had been changed so now she find it very hard to sell the car, and the police wanted some big money to do the final paperwork so she could get her car back.

HI

They dont want to pay even if you have insurance for renting out the car, a girl i know rented out her car and the car was gone for 7 months and then the police used the car as well, her insurance did not pay and did not want to pay, she found the car herself, the numbers on the car had been changed, this is now in the blue book that the numbers had been changed so now she find it very hard to sell the car, and the police wanted some big money to do the final paperwork so she could get her car back.

This happens to me even back in Switzerland. I sold a car 25 years ago for 4'000 Dollar to a turk, the guy payd me only 1000 dollar first, so i gave him the car, still was registered in may name and i keept the papers, in the hope he will pay me a mount later the rest amount of 3 grand, as we agreed. The turk never showed up, finally 3 months later i found him and he said the car was stolen in turkey (i didn't alowed him to travel to turkey). He never paid me and i couldn't claim my insurance, because they said "You gave him the keys".

Edited by stingray

Evil insurance company not covering third-party-leasing in their policy...I think they worm their way out of it with the 'Act of an Idiot' clause.

I'd never lease my car out, doubt anyone would want it anyway, but I'd like to imagine that if I did, I'd at least check my insurance policy....anyway, thanks for the warning. I hope they can recover the vehicle.

I was trying to point out (diplomatically, I thought) that the poster was dwelling too much on the nationality of his rip-off guy. Fraudsters are of every nation.

Sorry!, I knew what you were getting at, assumptions/generalizations can be annoying.

"Italian Book of War Hero's", "Ten famous Belgians", etc etc.

^^ I'm not sure that the fact that this guy was Turkish is as important as you seem to think.

I,m not arguing about tuerks in this forum (i know the forum rules). It was a real story. It is possible the car got stolen in Tutkey, if it was a normal car, but it was a Oldsmobile Omega X Body (small V6 one) and personally i don't really beleve anybody would steal that kind of car in Europe (exept in Switzerland), because it's useless for parts and useless for resale, because no value.

The fact was, that the car was registered in my name and got stolen in Turkey droven by some other guy, which i handed the key over. The turk didn't get a local police report either, when the car was stolen. So in my opinion it stinks. I personally couln'd travel to Turkey to get a local police report and second, i gave him the key. So the car was NOT stolen from me. Therefore the insurance don't payd anything. With this example in want show here that this things not only happen in Thailand. A insurance is not interested to cover a car if the car will be leased to other peaple. There is more risk to get involved in a accident if the car is used for hire. Therefore should make a Car rental insurance (comercial type) and the car would be covered. Rental car insurance cost more than a normal insurance. But many peaple who are in that business don't use rental car insurance, to avoid the higher insurance costs.

..........i gave him the key. So the car was NOT stolen from me. Therefore the insurance don't payd anything.

Apparently that was exactly what the insurance said in this case, here - nothing about the standard "hire and reward" exclusion, as I had assumed.

I wonder how that applies to valet parking??

Evil insurance company not covering third-party-leasing in their policy...I think they worm their way out of it with the 'Act of an Idiot' clause.

I'd never lease my car out, doubt anyone would want it anyway, but I'd like to imagine that if I did, I'd at least check my insurance policy....anyway, thanks for the warning. I hope they can recover the vehicle.

She have a rent out insurance and the car was rented out from a car rent company with all papers in order

She have a rent out insurance and the car was rented out from a car rent company with all papers in order

Never heard of a "rent out insurance". Each car need a "car rental insurance" (commercial insuracne, which costs at least 20'k up per car and year) The compulstery insurance must be for car rent as well which cost another 2'+++ and something per year, instead of the 690 Baht for private. The car rent insurance should be in the same name registered as the owner of the car, i. e. car rent company.

Never heard of a "rent out insurance". Each car need a "car rental insurance" (commercial insuracne, which costs at least 20'k up per car and year) The compulstery insurance must be for car rent as well which cost another 2'+++ and something per year, instead of the 690 Baht for private. The car rent insurance should be in the same name registered as the owner of the car, i. e. car rent company.

HI

OK then car rentel insurance if that make you happy, i thought that people could see wheat the point was, guess not B)