What Do You Drive?

Shipwreck

If you live in CM, what is your daily vehicle? Do think a 4x4 is necessary? 4x2? Or, is a compact sedan fine? Naturally this varies based on usage, but I guess I am just wondering if everyday driving is basically straight roads or are you encountering hills and off road situations commonly?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Chiang Mai province is pretty big, as you know. I like to take my 4x4 straight up on Doi Inthanon. I do like cruising in my souped-up-sedan around the moat in downtown. For fun I take my Vespa to Lamphun for a night of dancing! Point is you deal with the situation and if you can afford to have a vehicle for all types of situations - by all means have it. If not, you cannot go wrong with a Tuk-Tuk....:-)

Only a few days ago my wife and I were stuck in a long queue,close to opening time, driving up the ramp into the Airport Plaza parking araea. The hold up was caused by a Thai lady trying to manouvre,in reverse gear, her monster 4 wheel drive into a parking space. Getting out she looked quite traumatised by the experience. Why women especialy, want to drive a 4 wheel drive in a city environment is beyond me. How many Thai/Falang drivers want to go off road ? not many I would suggest. Always intrigued me ,is it a status thing ? do they feel safer ? one of life's great mysteries.

Note to self: Honda Cities don't float.cool.gif

But seriously folks, does one need a SUV in CM, or can one do all one needs to do in a regular old sedan?

Hill tribe villagers use beat-up, old 100cc motorbikes. Why does anyone "need" an SUV???/

Edited by el jefe

Why women especialy, want to drive a 4 wheel drive in a city environment is beyond me.

OK, so most of the time you don't really need 4WD. I'm wondering how often the average person encounters something more than a sedan can offer. What would you say the percentage is? 60on-road/40off? 70/30? 85/15 99/1?

Shipwreck, you gotta give us more info! The name "Chiang Mai" refers to both a very large province and a fairly compact city. I think previous posters have addressed both situations -- you want something as small and agile as possible for the city and perhaps something with 4 wheel drive if you plan to go somewhere that can be reached only by mud roads during the rainy season. I can't imagine why you'd want to do that unless you were into serious outdoor activities like hiking and camping or worked for a NGO with an operation in a hilltribe village.

Sparkles, as for that lady at Central Airport Plaza -- maybe she has a 4 wheel drive for the same reasons we had one in Michigan -- to handle all the snow and ice on the parking ramps!

Just get a normal car. 99% on road.

Get a bike if you want to go off road.

The roads here are all bloody great unless you are going up into the hill tribe areas.

Then again, if your family needs more 'face', or if your wife needs to impress the neighbours - you cant beat a flashy landcruiser/fortuner.

Only a few days ago my wife and I were stuck in a long queue,close to opening time, driving up the ramp into the Airport Plaza parking araea. The hold up was caused by a Thai lady trying to manouvre,in reverse gear, her monster 4 wheel drive into a parking space. Getting out she looked quite traumatised by the experience. Why women especialy, want to drive a 4 wheel drive in a city environment is beyond me. How many Thai/Falang drivers want to go off road ? not many I would suggest. Always intrigued me ,is it a status thing ? do they feel safer ? one of life's great mysteries.

quite possibly due to the price of a SUV compared to a car

you can get more value from a SUV, ie more space and seating than a car of similiar value

but you are correct, it doesnt make sense driving one around the city area, esp around the narrow sois

Edited by Donnyboy

Why women especialy, want to drive a 4 wheel drive in a city environment is beyond me.

OK, so most of the time you don't really need 4WD. I'm wondering how often the average person encounters something more than a sedan can offer. What would you say the percentage is? 60on-road/40off? 70/30? 85/15 99/1?

does the sidewalk count as offroad? :lol:

have you seen how high the curbs are?

but to answer yr question seriously, you dont need a SUV to get around CM

Edited by Donnyboy

The Thai gov't, in their infinite wisdom, charges 3% excise tax on trucks and PPV's (think Fortuner, etc.).

The tariff is 17% I believe on the new eco-car category (Nissan March, etc.).

It is about 30% (correct me if I'm wrong; these are ballpark figures) on normal cars, sedans.

The pricing of vehicles here due to gov't tax heavily favors 1 ton pickup trucks. The SUV's slide by in the same category.

You can buy a new Toyota Vigo Hilux 1 ton pickup, loaded, with leather, power everything, DVD, GPS, etc. for less than many common humdrum sedans....

My understanding is that Thailand is the second largest market in the world, after the US, for domestic sales of 1 ton pickups, from an article in the BK Post biz section about a year ago.

It's no wonder everyone buys and drives these behemoths. They're cheaper to buy than a small car!

I drive a 4x2 Vigo. It is all I need on the roads but there are times I would like to pull over to the road shoulder and with a two wheel this may mean getting stuck. There a also a lot of roads I would like to go for views but am not sure of in a 4x2 if you can handle the upkeep get a 4x4

The Thai gov't, in their infinite wisdom, charges 3% excise tax on trucks and PPV's (think Fortuner, etc.).

It is about 30% (correct me if I'm wrong; these are ballpark figures) on normal cars, sedans.

The pricing of vehicles here due to gov't tax heavily favors 1 ton pickup trucks. The SUV's slide by in the same category.

You can buy a new Toyota Vigo Hilux 1 ton pickup, loaded, with leather, power everything, DVD, GPS, etc. for less than many common humdrum sedans....

My understanding is that Thailand is the second largest market in the world, after the US, for domestic sales of 1 ton pickups, from an article in the BK Post biz section about a year ago.

It's no wonder everyone buys and drives these behemoths. They're cheaper to buy than a small car!

This raises a question I've been meaning to ask. One ton of what? Clearly these pickups in Thailand arent even as big as a 1/2 ton pickup in the states. A one ton pickup in the states is often a duelly with a big V-8, V-10 or Cummins engine. The pickups here in Thailand are what we would consider "compacts", so where does this one ton designation stem from? I can tell you I've put a one ton payload in my truck and the springs and shocks are totally compressed. I see vegetable hauling pickups modify the supension significantly to carry any kind of real payload.

Maybe it refers to the minimum speed at which it should be driven..? 100 km/hr :whistling:

This raises a question I've been meaning to ask. One ton of what? Clearly these pickups in Thailand arent even as big as a 1/2 ton pickup in the states. A one ton pickup in the states is often a duelly with a big V-8, V-10 or Cummins engine. The pickups here in Thailand are what we would consider "compacts", so where does this one ton designation stem from? I can tell you I've put a one ton payload in my truck and the springs and shocks are totally compressed. I see vegetable hauling pickups modify the supension significantly to carry any kind of real payload.

You can get a 4 wheel drive stuck easier that a 2 wheel front drive.

Think about it.

4 wheel drive the power train is applied to all 4 wheels and in a slippery or muddy situation this gives you 4 wheels spinning you deeper into the mud

2 wheel front drive the power train drives the front 2 wheels only, meaning the back two wheels do not dig in deep to the mud

Trying to use percentages to quantify how many percent an average person does this or that is pretty ridiculous

Only you know your own driving habits and unless you have never driven in your whole life, what makes Thailand driving any different than anywhere else in the world

PS These Mountains in Chiang Mai are ant hills compared to the rest of the world

A honda wave can go up any Mountain in Chiang Mai with no problem

You can get a 4 wheel drive stuck easier that a 2 wheel front drive.

Think about it.

4 wheel drive the power train is applied to all 4 wheels and in a slippery or muddy situation this gives you 4 wheels spinning you deeper into the mud

2 wheel front drive the power train drives the front 2 wheels only, meaning the back two wheels do not dig in deep to the mud

Trying to use percentages to quantify how many percent an average person does this or that is pretty ridiculous

Only you know your own driving habits and unless you have never driven in your whole life, what makes Thailand driving any different than anywhere else in the world

PS These Mountains in Chiang Mai are ant hills compared to the rest of the world

A honda wave can go up any Mountain in Chiang Mai with no problem

laugh.gif Are you seriously saying a 2WD will go where a 4WD will not?

Think about it 2WD you have 2 wheels driving and 2 wheels stuck in the mud requiring the other 2 wheels to get them through, 4WD all 4 wheels are doing the work. If you are spinning the wheels and digging in deeper you don't know what you are doing.

Have you ever driven in mud?

I think not.

Edited by garyh

Chiang Mai city is flat as a pancake. Only if you have plans to go to the mountains, a SUV would be of any use, but even an old sedan should do fine at Doi Ithanon, unless you have plans to go off-road.

I'm sure the OP found my prior answers sarcastic or snarky. Maybe they were, or maybe they weren't but here's the longer answer.

CM is like New York or Paris. You'll never go off road within the city but if you go 20 kms outside the any of the 3 cities you can find dirt roads if you look for them. Plenty of people are driving SUV's in all three places. Maybe import duties are lower, but fuel economy is much worse.

For the vast majority of farang who live in the general area of the city of CM, they only go off road for the following reasons:

1. Visiting a friend with a gravel driveway.

2. Going to a restaurant with an unpaved parking lot.

3. Getting drunk and driving off the road into a ditch.

If you ever plan on driving within the city, I'm serious about the recommendation for 2 wheels. Four wheel vehicles spend much, much more time stuck in traffic. I prefer a bicycle for trips outside the city, but ride a Fino in the city. The only reason for a sedan or truck is if you're uncomfortable on 2-wheels, and then it's up to you what kind of vehicle you get.

All you need is 2WD for 99% of the conditions you will see in Chiang Mai. Unless you are specifically going out to some of the remote villages, and even then most of them are accessed frequently by 2WD trucks. I have made it to a few off the-beaten-path villages with my 92 Hyundai Excel, so don't worry about getting a 4x4.

By the way SUV's are usually only marginally better then sedans in off road situations. All those off road commercials for SUV's are generally unrealistic, and the trees will beat the crap out of your paint job if you do go to real 4x4 territory.

Most SUV's will never visit a 4x4 trail. But that doesn't stop people putting on lift kits, snorkels, and brush guards.

I have driven a 2-wheel drive pickup for the last 10 years with no problem on ANY road. The 4-wheel drive was 80, 000 baht more to buy, has a tire 1 inch larger than the 2-wheel...And the height of the vehicle means I can't get in because I'm partially disabled. :)

And the 4-wheel drive isn't as stable on Thai roads.. 2-wheel drive is the best, in my opinion.

Edited by LJW

The disadvantages of owning a 4x4 as to owning a 4x2 car or ute are (some generalisation here, but should be considered)

• Higher fuel consumption
  • having to often replace 4 tyres at once in stead of rotating Tryes and replacing two tyres at a time
  • higher cost of tyres
  • Not as safe at higher highway speeds because of higher centre of gravity ( unless you are travelling in 4 wheel drive or all wheel drive)
  • Higher risk of spinal injury in an accident because of higher chance of roll over
  • A lot more road noise due to off road tyres, both inside the cabin and those who live near to the road
  • Rougher/stiffer ride
  • More difficult to parallel park, / reverse park because of less rear vision
  • More chance of killing other people in smaller cars in a collision .

These are all reasons i tried to convince my mother in law why not to get a Fortuner but being Hi-So and being able to impress the neighbours triumphed over everything . Now most of the time it remains in the garage because it is too difficult to drive to Big C .

Thank you for all your replies. It seems like the best idea to get some sort of 4x2 pickup if I had any plan of going off the beaten track as 4x4 seems to be unnecessary. And apparently a normal Toyota Altis or the like also fits the bill since normal people don't go venturing where anything more would be needed..

What about the car type SUVs like the CRV and the Captiva, anybody go 'off the beaten track' with those?

My wife has a Nissan X trial and has had a CRV. The Nissan is a far better car than the CRV but the Nissian is not that easily available in LOS . It is more of a pretend 4x4 and drives like a sedan except for more body roll. It will handle mud and dirt roads but it still would have limitations. Driver ability is probabbly a crucial factor in off road driving , in that a good driver in a 4x2 will get places a inexperienced or bad 4x4 driver will not be able to cope with.