Home Refrigerator

MikeWill

I'm planning on buying a new refrigerator.

Any recommendations for energy-efficient home refrigerators (2 door w/capacity of at least 8.0 Cu.ft/ 230 Litres): manufacturer, model, price and any additional info.

Shouldn't this post be in a refrigerator forum?

My dear melus, are you trying to conduce yourself to a position of a moderator?

As far as I'm concern, you're well on the way.

Thanks for the warning, Thetyim.

As far as I can find the info available online, it's about the SANYO brand. In their News section posted:

Bacteria Free & Smell Free Refrigerator For Those Who Care For Health

SANYO Universal Electric has introduced a new health-care refrigerator that is free from bacteria and undesirable smell. When working with Platinum Beam Deodorizer, the UV-LED that radiates 370-380 nano meter wave length of ultra violet ray (UV-A) will efficiently kill the bacteria and destroy the molecule of smell.

Although the capacity of this new model is as big as 18.5 cubic feet, its energy consumption of 25% less than normal rate makes the real consumption equivalent to that of medium size refrigerator. Such an efficient energy saving derived from the use of high quality materials and component parts such as compressor and DC Fan Motor which is 78% more energy saving than that of AC Fan Motor.

Other Special Features:

- Model Name SR-F518

- Multi and Side Air Flow

- Moisture Control

- Tempered Glass Shelf

- Anti-rust Cabinet

- Freezer Lamp

I remember reading a topic on this forum about a bad smell coming from a refigerator.

Actually, I was looking at their SR-F511 model ( http://dnn.wethai.com/Default.aspx?tabid=2912 )

2 Door * No frost * Refrigerator

Features

• New press-designed door & Grip Handle

• Electrogalvanized Sheet

• Big Freezer

• Double ICE Twist Tray

• Fully Case / Easy Pick Up

• Smooth Wheels / Adjust-Level Buttons

• Tempered Glass Shelf (only for GD color)

Capacity Cu.ft/Litre 10.2 / 288

Freezer (Litre) 80

Refrigerator (Litre) 208

Dimension (mm.) WxDxH 606x670x1522

Weight(Kg.) 65.0

Color MS / GD

Any comments?

Edited by Condo_bk

We have samsung and are happy with it.

We have (but in Austria) a real expensive Siemens and it is crap. Every 2 years it is broken.

If possible I would not buy one with a special area for ice, because this small door inside likes to brake (not Thai wife proof).

Instead with an extra deep freeze area with a seperate door. It is not that much more expensive.

I would forget about all fancy extra features like wather spender, ice machine or whatever, these things can brake and can be a place for bakteria. As more simple and without places to hide for bakteria, as better.

Any recommendations for energy-efficient home refrigerators (2 door w/capacity of at least 8.0 Cu.ft/ 230 Litres): manufacturer, model, price and any additional info.

Sanyo and Whirlpool are usually one and the same. I do have several Whirlpools and have not had any compressor problems but there was a serious door problem on one. Consider them cheap mass production products but fair value.

Best one we have is Samsung freezer below model and this is very good of the ice cream kids who like to open door for extended periods to make a selection as it uses pull out draws so cold remains inside. Have had no problems with it. Panasonic seems to be making freezer below now; as well as others.

Will add that the Samsung is made for the hot Thai weather conditions unlike some brands; as they sell three or four different models depending on market.

Edited by lopburi3

Just this Sunday past, I bought a side-by-side 2 door fridge... a 210L capacity GE model (sorry can't remember the model) from HomePro in the Carrefour complex in Pattaya... cost was 49,000 THB. The promotion included a free electric fan and 2 easy chairs.

Should be delivered this afternoon. :D

Mental note: buy a couple of cases of Chang on the way home... :o

49.000 :D

What can this fridge. My two for 7000 and 9000, they can cool food and beer.

for 49.000 I expect at minimum, that it can additional: surf in the internet, order singha by itself, when I am too drunk to do so and as promotion I expect that it is included:

The sales lady (alternative for female customer) a sales guy

1 year visa for Thailand+WP

and not a lausy fan....

Just this Sunday past, I bought a side-by-side 2 door fridge... a 210L capacity GE model (sorry can't remember the model) from HomePro in the Carrefour complex in Pattaya... cost was 49,000 THB.  The promotion included a free electric fan and 2 easy chairs.

Should be delivered this afternoon.  :D

Mental note: buy a couple of cases of Chang on the way home...  :o

49.000  :D

for 49.000 I expect at minimum, that it can additional: surf in the internet, order singha by itself, when I am too drunk to do so and as promotion I expect that it is included:

and not a lausy fan....

5555555.... :o

If you take a stroll through the aisles at HomePro you'll find that this is one of the cheaper side-by-sides... some (complete with hot/cold water dispensers and ice makers) go up to over 90,000 THB :D

i have a little samsung, and it works alright, but you can't really make the beer slushies that i like unless you use the freezer, then you run the risk of totally freezing the beer. anyway, some of these new energy efficient (number 5) refrigerators don't cool as well as the old ones, comparable with the old freon a/c's in cars compared to whatever they use nowadays.

Yeah I saw these 90 K fridge at Homepro in Pattaya. I only looked at them, because I never saw something like that before. And while I looked a salesman came licking my toes in the hope I buy it. but I did not. I buy one for 9000+a hot water dispenser for 900 THB :D

90.000 for a fridge :D

I think I have the wrong job :D

49.000  :D

and not a lausy fan....

5555555.... :o

If you take a stroll through the aisles at HomePro you'll find that this is one of the cheaper side-by-sides... some (complete with hot/cold water dispensers and ice makers) go up to over 90,000 THB :D

Bought a Samsung 4 months ago at Tesco-Lotus and so far it's fine. Model is RT 24 MG VG - 239 liters, silver finish - 2 door with freezer on top and features Silver Nano anti-bacterial/anti-fungal technology. :o It's quiet. :D 9,900 baht.

Be sure you measure and remeasure your space as I almost bought one that would have been too large :D

-redwood

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for advice and info.

For the moment (after some shopping around), my first choice refrigerator is the SHARP models: SJ-D30M (10.4 m3, 296 liters, 650x650x1550) or SJ-D33M (11.8 m3, 335 liters, 650x650x1700). They are advertised at THB 14,590 & 15,590 respectively, but I saw them at discount of couple of thousand Baht.

Any comments?

I had a Japanese model fridge with drinking water in the door model which was fine but too small for me, 15 cu.ft. Bought a Whirlpool side by side with ice and water in the door, 26 cu.ft and couldn't be happier with my purchase. My freezer side is usually quite full as I freeze all meats before using as a safety and convenience measure. I likewise, visit an Italian bakery and obtain my rolls wholesale, a month's supply at a time. are frozen as well.

The ice maker struggels mightily to keep up with my demand.

For one who is contmplating the 15 cu. ft or smaller models, pay attention to Lopbui3 regarding the freezer below. I really got tired bending over to search out my food every time I went to the fridge whle the freezer, the least used portion, was at convenient eye height.

I also got tired of making ice all the time in those plastic ice trays that last a month before cracking.

Anyone in Chiang Mai who would like my "like new" former fridge or stand alone ice maker PM me.

Edited by ProThaiExpat

• 4 years later...

We have a collection of Hitachi, Samsung & Toshiba. Never had any problems with any of these.

However if you are buying for a studio condo, you may want to check on noise it makes when it cuts in.

If you have otherwise a very quite room, you may find the noise drives you crazy if you are sleeping in the same room. Don't have to worry so much if bedroom is separate.

Wow, amazing to see the expertice in this field by some of the members.

Im not kidding here, or trying to be sarcastic.

I though a fridge is a fridge. Just different sizes, colors, and what extra stuff you want it to come with.

Just like stereos, tv's, and mobile phones.

:)

We have a large Panasonic with the bottom freezer. I don't know the size but it is about six foot tall. Five years old now and never a problem. The doors work like when it was new.

Funny Gary, I have the exact same model also bought about 5 years ago. I believe it was the only model with a bottom freezer at that time. It work great

I really don't understand why people would want the freezer on the top. The freezer on the bottom is more efficient. Everything in the refrigerator part is right in front of you and the rarely used freezer part is down where you have to bend over. Side by sides are pretty nice but I think there is too much wasted space because of the narrow freezer. When/if I have to buy another one, it will be another bottom freezer model.

I bought a second hand Whirlpool in 2004 . The guarantee till 2005. Probably will live till 2020 or more. Works great.

when we get our second house built (the real one :) ) will Probably splurge on a new unit. Freezer downstairs so we don't get crowned in the head when it eases shut. I can't remember a fridge that was piss poor I've had.

I really don't understand why people would want the freezer on the top. The freezer on the bottom is more efficient. Everything in the refrigerator part is right in front of you and the rarely used freezer part is down where you have to bend over. Side by sides are pretty nice but I think there is too much wasted space because of the narrow freezer. When/if I have to buy another one, it will be another bottom freezer model.

I have a back problem so i need the freezer on top.

I really don't understand why people would want the freezer on the top.

Beer :D

The next bottle is sitting in the freezer.

When you take it out you put the next one in.

Works for me. Just have to remember to take the last one out when you've had enough :)

• 3 weeks later...