Authentic Listening Practice

SoftWater

Even with the (not quite accurate) English subtitles, I could barely make out a word these nightclub girls are saying till I'd listened to it three or four times.

There's plenty of repetition here tho...see how much of it you can get after a couple of listens (if you can stand the noise that long :P )

Edited by SoftWater

Softwater,

I'm impressed as hel_l. Not with your Thai, but with the fact that you could listen to that 3 or 4 times! :lol:

I watched the first two minutes without looking at the subtitles and I could usually get a few words per sentence but not enough to really understand much. I have no desire to listen again and try to improve.

Oh, come on! The best bits (language, I mean) occur around 5 mins in :o.

I agree its hellish to work through - I only managed it because I actually know the 'presenter' and was VERY surprised to see her doing anything like this. It's also very good language practice for those who spend a lot of time hanging out in these sort of environments, I guess :unsure:.

Ok, I tried again after skipping ahead to 5:00. After the first listen, I would guess I understood about 30% of it. Have you tried these videos from the LTFAWG site? Most of them have transcripts so they're pretty useful:

Edited by kikenyoy

What makes me really sad (aside from listening to that video three times :o ) was; the company who has Insomnia in Pattaya is renovating the building which used to be the old Leader Price on Sukhumvit-Soi 12 into an "Insomnia Bangkok" branch. ..

That's all I need; a club open to god-knows-when at the mouth of my soi :( . Plus last time I checked there are ONLY 22 parking spaces in that parking lot (all full almost all the time). Unless they're gonna cut a deal with "little korea town" which has underground parking across the soi, the cars will be lined up all the way down the soi :bah: .

Not to piss on anyone’s parade but, I can only hope they run outta money to finish it before it opens ;) . Sadly, (for me at least :blink: ) given the rapid pace of construction, it doesn’t look like that’s gonna happen.. B)

As an aside; I just had three thai people who can speak english like I can (and seeing as I'm a 'native' engrish speaker my engrish is pretty frickin' good!! :lol: ) listen to this and they said not only is the engrish (less than accurate) that it totally bit the big one. Oh well, perhaps they should invest in someone who knows BOTH languages... :ermm:

Edited by tod-daniels

• 1 month later...