Thai Immigration To Keep Close Track Of All Tourists

george

I see this as another Thai requirement that will never be followed on. Seriously with all the Tourist entering the country daily and all the Hotels in Thailand, I personally do not believe that the government has the necessary resource to actually maintain this tracker. I see it as,

1. A first step in procuring additional hardware and software to support this this endeavor. The article states that all hardware had already been bought, so I think they had to figure out what to do with it. With an operation like this, the tracking software is what is crucial. I'm sure it will be grossly overpriced so that some minister will be able to line his pocket.

2. A step to paint a false impression to potential tourist that their movements are being tracked as a method of safety control!

3. Forcing all the smaller hotels/resorts to declare their foreign guest. A lot of these resorts under declare their occupancy to get out of paying taxes. Now they have to either declare and pay their taxes or fines.

4. Generating more employment to support these activity.

Like everything else with Thailand, there is an ulterior motive behind what is being done here. Whatever it is, I would not worry too much about it. IMHO

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What about declaring tomorrow (Monday) as "Farang Compliance Day" and all of us show up at the local immigration office and report our whereabouts. Will bring their operations to a grinding hat in no time :lol:

'geriatrickid' timestamp='1280633975' post='3787495']'DocHolliday' timestamp='1280629238' post='3787306']

Why this big fuss? I wonder what's it all about. Reporting tourists is standard 'law' for hotels in most western countries. It's nothing new.

Huh? Did something change in the UK, USA, Australia, Netherlands etc.? When I register, I leave a credit card imprint. Some hotels in NYC will sometimes take a photocopy of an id card, but that's only to identify you in the event of death or suicide etc. I stay in enough hotels in Europe and North America to know if my whereabouts are being reported to immigration. They scan my passport when I enter the country. that's it.

I have a suggestion for Thai immigration. Attach those tracking monitor ankle straps to the tourists, especially those heading to Pattaya. Post their activity on a google map. This way I can see if Lord Wallce Fitzhiggns- Whipplesnout is heading to Boyztown, or if Rev. Joachim Shickelshnitz is off to save souls at Miss Weewee's house of barely legal refugee girls shaking their silicon implants.

Ok, me bad. :jap:

You took the words out of my mouth , I had contemplated just posting my thoughts , but as I personally do not like viewing threads that are full of regurgitations , I decided to read ALL posts first .Those ankle bracelets woul be the most positive way to go with all of the variables as to the actual usefullness of location and/or identification , the use of aliases etc would be eliminated , more difficult for scumbags to exicute thier neffarious ways .

I remember staying in a luxury guesthouse at 100b a night in the Banglamphu area of Bangkok. Immigration would come every Monday to take a record of all the new guests checking in from the previous week. A little bit of an out-dated system but one that is used world-wide. Chill out.

What about declaring tomorrow (Monday) as "Farang Compliance Day" and all of us show up at the local immigration office and report our whereabouts. Will bring their operations to a grinding hat in no time :lol:

No,they are at that stage already for as long as I remember.

There is nothing new in the article, just a strciter enforcement aimed at hotel and guesthouses. Many hotels al ready did this and many didn't. If I recall correctly, Phuket already wanred hotels and guesthouses for a stricter enforcement of this rule some months a go. The article doesn't say they will get tougher on the tourists themselves. Only that hotels and such now have to report their guests strictly, which they can do online.

It has also to do with the new immigration center set up to track foreign fugitives hiding in Thailand, in which immigration cooperates with several countries.

I have never been asked to supply anything other than my driving license for stay at a hotel/motel in north America , when I fill ot forms for various things , in the 'Address/phone' box , my pertinant information is disclosed and I am requested to change it if I have moved , my health card requires that I inform the office if i move .

I have no problem if I need to supply full ID to lodge anywhere , I have nothing to hide .

This thread above is about some "24 hour fines" received in Huahin in early 2008. Haven't heard anything since then though. But guess it depends on the local Immigration section whether they want to do one of their famous "crack-downs" or not and raise some $$.

Nice one.

This could be followed by "Farang Appreciation Week".

Two ways to look at this really, in your favour if you need to be contacted or some problem arises.

If you have nothing to hide and are not in hiding then theres nothing much to worry about.

The responsibility will fall on hotels etc.,

Hotels can fail you. And anytime the farang is liable for 10,000B expect to be exploited now and then.

As for the "if you have nothing to hide" statement. I live in America and the serious erosion of our rights in that regard troubles many here. We don't ask tourists to show their papers while here on holiday. It's not needed in either country for the bogus reasons cited. It's the camel's nose under the tent.

Hotels can fail you. And anytime the farang is liable for 10,000B expect to be exploited now and then.

The Farang is not responsible this is aimed at the hotels and guesthouses, they are reinforcing an already existing law. Read the report. - Remarks like above does no more than alarm those who have little or no knowledge of this law and rely on forums such as this for assistance and advice......

'Bureau chief Wuthi Liptapallop said managers failing to comply will face arrest and fines of up to 10,000 baht

per tourist if they do not fulfil their obligations..'

Again - Paranoia springs to mind!!

Edited by Tafia

Huh? Did something change in the UK, USA, Australia, Netherlands etc.?When I register, I leave a credit card imprint.

I can't imagine the Immigration Department keeps credit card details.True, they can access the information eventually, but I doubt if it is on hand in their computers. I also travel regularly and have rarely had to give any kind of photo ID in much of Europe or the US. A credit card is sufficient.

Edited by Wozzit

'Bureau chief Wuthi Liptapallop said managers failing to comply will face arrest and fines of up to 10,000 baht

yeah skipped over the word 'manager' dad. now go get a massage and stop beating mom. you seem to be thinking too mut!

I hope that this is not seen as too dumb a question.

I am here on a multi entry non-0.

On entry I fill in my address details on the arrival card.

Is my Thai wife also responsible for telling the local Immigration Office of my presence at our home within 24 hours of each entry?

What type entry are you concerned about? :blink:

The answer is Yes, no matter what type of visa you are on.

So if i go and stay with the in laws in a remote tambon, i must first notify the police about my intention, or is it the responsibility of the in laws. Have the police in Nakon Nowhere been made aware of this??

Yes again..........

It is a crazy world we live in.

Astral, as I believe Mario pointed out earlier in this thread...

At present, really, only the 90 day reporting provision of the regulations is being enforced, in terms of the foreigner having to do anything themselves.

The obligation of hotels, guesthouses and such falls on those establishments, not the guest...

I realize the regulations spell out other stuff as regards to reporting by foreigners when they travel and move about inside Thailand. But in the real world, to the best of my knowledge, all of that stuff at present is generally ignored.

I remember staying in a luxury guesthouse at 100b a night in the Banglamphu area of Bangkok. Immigration would come every Monday to take a record of all the new guests checking in from the previous week. A little bit of an out-dated system but one that is used world-wide. Chill out.

Chill out indeed.

Just out of curiosity how much luxury you get for 100b a night?

yeah skipped over the word 'manager' dad. now go get a massage and stop beating mom. you seem to be thinking too mut!

Ah I see American - hence the paranoia!!

I believe that is the requirement.

The missus and I have a home in Thailand and visit often, but I don't head straight for the imm or police to say.." Hi.. I,m here back home again".

I do however think that this is required.

When you enter the country, there is an address required on the back of the Entry Card. If you put your home address, you have fulfilled this obligation, perhaps.

Checking in and writing down your particulars is SOP.

But say you check in in Bangkok stating Phuket next destination,

and then decide you are not going back to Phuket, but decide to go to Pattaya,

and visit friends, and then not back to Phuket like you wrote down in Pattaya,

but got to Samui, and write next destination Phuket, but go to Bangkok instead,

and finally get to your own home on Phiuket, where your company owns the land,

but you own the house...

You started there, you live there, your visa run says you are there,

but your computer trail of hotels does NOT finish at home....

Do you need to go to the immigration department and report you are now back home?

Since as 'responsible for domicile', you must report 'a tourist' is now staying there.

Some parts of this are not at all clear... Old law, but fuzzy lines, and fuzzier enforcement.

They have had an online guest reporting system for hotels in Phuket for at least 2 years. When I stayed at my hotel in Phuket, I used to log on and submit details of my hotel guests every morning.

But this system is viewed with suspicion by many hotels because the OrBorTor annual tax for hotels in Phuket is calculated according to how many guests stay at your hotel. They currently assume a certain occupancy rate and then do their tax calculations. Now, if the OrBorTor could access the 'real' occupancy data, it's likely that this tax amount would rise.

I do know that my ex only submits about 10% of guest data to the online reporting system for this very reason

Simon

Astral, as I believe Mario pointed out earlier in this thread...

At present, really, only the 90 day reporting provision of the regulations is being enforced, in terms of the foreigner having to do anything themselves.

The obligation of hotels, guesthouses and such falls on those establishments, not the guest...

90day reporting may be the flavour of the month,

what about next month??

The obligation is on the owner of the establishment,

the wife, if you own your own house...............

My wife has been fined for not reporting my arrival,

so could the up country cousins when you visit.

This idea is an infringement of privacy.

If the 'system' wanted to secure taxes, it would do so by other means (enforcement).

If the 'system' was truly interested in the safety of foreingers (aliens), it would provide measures to;

a] Prevent scams.

b] Ensure that road rules are enforced.

c] Ensure that government officials were not above the law.

d] Ensure that, upon arrival, foreigners were recorded appropriately (photograph etc).

There is simply no need whatsoever to follow the footsteps of every foreigner in any country if the foreigners have appropriately entered the country.

Edited by elkangorito

I thought the states and Canada were paranoid. Tougher than hel---l to get my Thai wife in there but at least when it happens they won't be monitoring her every move..

Wonder what they will do with tourists visiting there relatives and staying in there home.:annoyed:

Same rule applies. Anyone housing a foreigner are obliged by law to report it to the nearest immigration within 24 hours. Failure to do so may result in a fine of 20,000 baht if I remember well.

Ridiculous? Absolutely!

Surprised? Nope!

Edited by Phil Conners

One question.... Why???????

Thailand is a sideways development country. There are huge problems facing Thai society, and huge corruption problems everywhere. Instead of tackling these problems - maybe they're too hard?? - politicians implement useless laws that don't help anyone, but at the same time annoy some. For example the anti-alcohol laws that make it illegal to sell alcohol at normal daytime shopping times. Will it prevent alcoholism? Absolutely not. But it will annoy my wife when she can't get wine for dinner because it's "not the right time".

This one goes in the same direction. Doesn't help anyone. Produces activity that has no purpose. Annoys some. That's it. As for the embassy needing to know where you are at all times, first of all they don't, and secondly everyone already knows that that's definitely not going to happen. TIT after all. The only people who are every going to use this is the police in high profile criminal cases. Or maybe the police when they want to shake down a few farangs. You never know when you need a new source of income after all.

How will this affect tourism?

It is up to the hotels to report info. to authorities and has zero to do with tourism

Unless you read about this rule being enforced you will not even kn ow about the rule,

nor will you know if the rule is being followed by the hotels or whoever else

Well said. This has NO effect on tourists at all. The tourist does NOTHING. It is all about the hotel/resort/villa etc reporting to the government - as it is required to do so by law already.

It happens in MOST countries around the world.