One Year “Marriage Visa” Renewal At Phitsanulok – My Report

Note: I tried posting this two days ago, but it did not seem to go on. If this is a duplicate, my apologies.

Yesterday (Friday) I applied at the Phitsanulok Immigration office to renew my "one year Non-Immigrant 'O' extension of permission to stay in Thailand to support a Thai wife" (which I am going to call a "marriage visa," simply because it is easier and everybody knows what I mean). My wife went with me. When I do anything with the Thai government (which is far more pleasant with which to work than is the U.S. government), I come as fully prepared as I possible can. I keep a three ring binder that has multiple copies of everything I have ever heard of them requesting so as to be able to pull out anything they request from me. I do this because I understand the requests may vary with the office or the person, despite the strict requirements of the law. If in doubt, I bring it with two copies. If one is absolutely prepared, things usually go more smoothly.

Background first. A year ago, before the Phit'lok office opened, I applied in Nan. Nan required:

1. Completed TM7 application form w/4x6 cm photo, plus one copy (front and back not two pages).

2. Copies (2) of all my passport pages (including arrival card) with original for viewing and stamps.

3. Copies (2) of wife's government ID card, with original for viewing.

4. Copies (2) of wife's house registration book, with original for viewing.

5. Copies (2 each) of bank letter affirming over 400kTHB on deposit over 2 months and bankbook, with originals for viewing.

6. Copies (2) of Thai marriage application (Kor Sor 2 from amphur office), but not the colorful marriage certificate.

7. 1,900 ThB fee (also requested 3,000 ThB "investigation fee," which I refused).

This is all they required. My bank letter was a week old, and my bankbook was not updated, because it was a foreign currency account with no recent transactions, but they did not say anything about it. I did not have any bank statements for this account.

In Phitsanulok yesterday, they required:

1. Completed TM7 application form w/4x6 cm photo, plus one copy (front and back not two pages).

2. Copies (2) of all my passport pages (including arrival card) with original for viewing and stamps.

3. Copies (2) of wife's government ID card, with original for viewing.

4. Copies (2) of wife's house registration book, with original for viewing.

5. Copies (2 each) of bank letter affirming over 400kTHB on deposit over 3 months and bankbook, with originals for viewing.

6. Copies (2) of Thai marriage application (Kor Ror 2 from amphur office).

7. Copies (2) of colorful marriage certificate, with original for viewing.

8. Copies (2 each) pictures of house and family, in house and outside showing house number (we have no number on house – I created a placard from cardboard and paper for the picture).

9. Map to residence and one copy.

10. 1,900 ThB fee.

My bank letter was two days old, and my bankbook was not updated, because it was a foreign currency account with no recent transactions, but they did not say anything about it. The letter indicated that the money was on deposit for over three months. I also provided three months of most recent bank statements for this account.

My visit was a little more complicated in that I actually had to do three (3) things: (1) make a 90 day report; (2) transfer my marriage visa stamp to a new, renewed U.S. passport; and (3) apply for a renewed one-year marriage visa. I began by placing in front of the female officer the three applications, with passport and the standard letter from the U.S. Consulate asking Thai immigration to transfer my visa stamps to the new passport. I asked her where she would like to begin.

She looked over the documents and immediately announced that I would have to travel to Nan (5 hours away!) to transfer the marriage visa stamp to the new passport, because Nan had issued it. I smiled and said I had already checked with Thai Immigration in Bangkok and was told that the only two options were to go to my local office (Phitsanulok) or to the Bangkok office. I pulled out the Bangkok office phone number and suggested we make a telephone call. Her colleague overheard and intervened and told her that I was correct. The rest of the meeting proceeded without further complication. It pays to be prepared with not only documents, but also knowledge and a good, but firm attitude.

The interviewer did comment that my binder was very complete and well organized (riap roi). Every time she asked for something, I was able to pull it out immediately (pictures, maps, etc.) I also had separate sets of copies of documents for each of the three applications I presented.

I must return on September 5 for the final stamp.

Mission accomplished.

I wonder why you made this posting. I am sure you did it with good intentions. But we all know what the requirements are for an extension of stay and provided you fulfill them there should never be any problems.

I wonder why you made this posting. I am sure you did it with good intentions. But we all know what the requirements are for an extension of stay and provided you fulfill them there should never be any problems.

Actually not everybody does know.

Many people join Thai Visa just to get current information on visa extensions and as Mario 2008 points out different immigration offices often have different rules in addition to the standard requirements.

I am currently on a retirement visa extension which I did simply and easily in Nakhon Sawan last week.

It was simple because some weeks previously I had gathered information from TV and distilled it down to something reasonable and when I did my 90 day report and showed them that paper they copied it for their own use.

Hi

Just my 2 cents worth for the few people who do NOT know and use TV to get updates.

Even staff within the same office seem to have different requirements.

I attended Phisanulok immigration 10 days ago for my first retirement ext and had a slightly different experience.

DOCS REQ'D

MT7 Form +PHOTO, printed on 2 pages,

PASSPORT copy of data page, visa page, immig slip

STAT DEC from Aust embassy stating amount of pension and current address

BANK LETTER

UPDATED PASSBOOK

Had 2 copies of everything but they only wanted the original and said keep the copies for next time,

only thing they wanted was pension in Baht and took my word for the amount I told them.

Excellent ,friendly service and walked out 45 minutes later with 12 month ext and re-entry permit

stamped in my passport, just ha

Most offices will refuse to accept forms not printed front and back of same papers as that is the required format. Are you saying they refused such a TM.7 form and required you print it on two sheets of paper?

A couple of people in the past asked specifically about the Phitsanulok office, which opened a little over six months ago. I have not seen a report from the Phit'lok office, but perhaps I missed it.

I guess he is saying that he presented the TM.7 on 2 sheets rather than 1 sheet - printed front and back which for some reason they accepted. TIT.

Exactly correct, next time will probably want double sided print, as you say TIT

What really surprised me was getting the extension and re-entry permit on the spot.

I guess he is saying that he presented the TM.7 on 2 sheets rather than 1 sheet - printed front and back which for some reason they accepted. TIT.

Exactly correct, next time will probably want double sided print, as you say TIT

What really surprised me was getting the extension and re-entry permit on the spot.

For my 1 year extensions I normally present my TM.7 form on one page only.

Last year I, by mistake, used two pages. When these were presented at the Immigration Office, the officer simply stapled the two pages together, so making one page. It seems that other Offices/officers cannot or will not do this? TIT.