Rimping Supermarket

likite

I'm far from rich and not a fool but I like shopping in Rimping for some things. We always buy fruit and vegetables at the Muang Mai Market, but for some things Rimping is great - much better than Tops. I don't bother with imported cheese in Thailand as prices are crazy. I don't like Dacheeso cheese at all so I pretty much do without cheese. I agree that the Rimping near the river is the best one of all of them but the bakery at the one near the Airport seems to have the best selection.

I bought Dacheeso cheddar once. What I bought looked like a block of cheese (albeit somewhat anaemic for cheddar), but that's where the resemblence ended - it was some kind of rubbery substance that certainly wasn't cheddar cheese......but Rimping seem to sell a lot of it.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shop regularly at Rimping and in local markets. I'm sure you can argue about some individual prices of items (loss leaders?) at Rimping but, all in all, it does end up to be more expensive.

Otherwise, where can you find another market in the world that plays classical music, not in-your-face jingles?! And, obviously, the stock is tilted to Western tastes. Another store like that is Karem, which arguably has an even more interesting assortment. For meats, I find Rimping uneven. Northern Farms is the choice in my and many, many restaurant views. There is a wide range in quality. (I won't comment on the quality of meat that Millwall-fan buys there.)

But I do have a beef (Sorry! My bad!) about the catalog of prizes. Every market that does that is playing a marketing game the customer ultimately loses, but --- considering how smart a marketer Herr Rimping is, to display those old torn catalogs in which so many things are "not available" (for several months standing) doesn't seem very good customer relations!

Anyway, eat well!

I think that you'll find that Northern Farms supplies the Rimping, and they get the best Northern Farms has to offer. Which is why I buy our meat there and which is why We very rarely get any complaints about the quality of our meat.

I shop at Rimping Nim Daily Plaza regularly (as well as the local soi veggie ladies, Tesco Lotus Express, Tops, Carrefour and occasionally Tesco Lotus big store) for food.

What they have to offer for me is:

1) the best produce department for fresh organic greens/salad anywhere. Not the best deal, but hands down the best quality and freshness.

2) some speciality sauces and condiments not found elsewhere (like Dix's Flaming Tiger BBQ Sauce from Chiang Rai).

3) an excellent selection of very high quality seafood and meats (although I buy my Charolais rib eye at Northern Farms).

Other than the above, I go elsewhere for the common stuff. Coffee I buy at Duang Dee wholesale outlet. Tissue at Tops. Cleaning items and kitchen stuff at Tesco Lotus big store. Pasta, pickles, olives and bread (and occasionally cheese) at Carrefour.

We are so lucky to have all this selection. The old timers still loyal to Kasem's go there because as recently as a decade ago, they were the only game in town.

I never bothered to pay for a Rimping membership card. I was going to the old store by the Novotel years ago; refused to pay for it then, still refuse to pay for a membership card now. Probably would have a 32" plasma with all the points I would have accumulated.:lol:

To sum up, great store, but just for certain specific things.

PS uptheos- Dacheso mozzarella- not bad if you make pizza, buy it wholesale at the outlet at Hideaway Cafe. Also Thai-Danish Dairy Farms near CM Zoo for Gouda. Not all Thai cheese is bad. Also Northern Farms for Anchor brand NZ cheddar.....450 B/kilo :licklips:

Edited by mcgriffith
corrected spelling "Charolais"

This 'Poor Frang Fool' is quite happy with Rim Ping.

I traded about 9,000 points and got an excellent German made 'Oven/Cooker'. Delivered on time from Mee Chock branch.

Now I have very tasty Roast Chicken, done on the rotisserie cooked with, Free Range Chicken, from my Cheap and cheerful local Thai Market.

john

Anybody who shops at Rimping is either wealthy or a fool and doesn't care what they pay. Their pricing is normally 20% higher than the other markets. They do have some good items on sale every month.

It's more expensive for some things but then you have the quality. I also enjoy shopping there as it's laid-back and without large family in the city for the day with that deer-in-the-headlights look and people like you. :jerk:

I never bothered to pay for a Rimping membership card. I was going to the old store by the Novotel years ago; refused to pay for it then, still refuse to pay for a membership card now.

Are they charging for em now then? Didn't pay a satang for mine.

I also use Rimping close to the Iron Bridge.

It has in stock the items i require.

Also shop at 711.

Always looking for specials just like everyone. :rolleyes:

I agree. Our shopping is done at the local markets, Carrefour, Makro now and then, Rimping now and then. But ever sense a Tesco Express opened out her in Doi Saket it gets about 50% of our business.

Did anyone else notice that Rim Ping got A LOT more expensive? It used to be somewhat reasonable, but the prices for ordinary items like milk and pork are really very high.. Pork would run about 110-120 baht at Big C et al, milk about 32 baht for a bottle (Dutch mill, etc). At Rim Ping those prices are more like 169 and 42 baht respectively.

So I'm very selectively using Rim Ping these days. Yogurt, basically.

• Like 1

I never payed a satang for my membership card. When did Rimping start charging?

About 4 years ago they quoted me 80 B at the old store. I asked again at the Nim Daily store about 2 years ago- same same.

If I'm wrong on this, my apologies.

If the membership is free now, well that is a no-brainer. :jap:

EDIT: I just checked this afternoon. It is 90 B for a Rimping membership card.

Edited by mcgriffith
corrected info

About 4 years ago they quoted me 80 B at the old store. I asked again at the Nim Daily store about 2 years ago- same same.

It is 80 baht now....probably alwayus was too but thai partners couldnt resist buying them....must get a card....maybe they will have a wallet in the catalogue to keep all the points cardsn I have acumulated.

It is 80 baht now....probably alwayus was too but thai partners couldnt resist buying them....must get a card....maybe they will have a wallet in the catalogue to keep all the points cardsn I have acumulated.

I couldn't be bothered carrying a wallet full of points cards, but I can see the value if people buy everything in these places.

I really don't mind the check out staff using their number for my bill.

I shop at Rimping, the local Market, Tesco's and Makro. I get different things from different places, its just a matter of choice. I have a rimping membership card which I may be able to swap the points for a plate or a spoon now after 2 years :D the best membership card I have is Tesco's every three month they send you vouchers off your shopping, I think its 10 bhat for every thousand points and you get 1 point for every 2 baht spent. After 3 months it adds up and "every little helps" :D

Edited by thaimiller

I am far from rich but I do buy from Rimping anong others. It does not have to be all that expensive, A kilo or so of good pork for roasting about 170baht a kilo of beef from 170 to 400. A very large clean and plump chook for 140 baht. Any of those and a good supply of their wide range of very fresh vegatables which I have not found even in the markets can make a roast dinner for my wife and I and sandwiches for many days for far less than a lunch at the Red Bell...not to say it is not good value there I am sure it is. It really is just a matter of where you put your priorities. Cheese at 170 baht is qite edible and I have never found anywhere else. Coffee also seems to be fresher there. Tops do seem to get the freshest eggs though.

Of course if you buy foreign or processed farang type food it can be very very expensive.

Sorry millwell_fan this is not a rave against your place. I would certainly enjoy a visit but going there or other places is boring for my wife and although she will sit uncomplaining for many hours I cannot subject her to that. Neither of us drink either so are not the best bar customers.

Don't ignore health issues, meat such as pork and beef should not be eaten all that often, not more than once a week, particularly for people aged 40. plus, go for fish, chicken, (skin removed) fruit, veg, nuts, whole grains, not so much wheat (can cause IBS) go for oats, barley, brown rice, etc ... go also for seeds such as pumpkin, flax, sunflower, and not too much dairy products either, the whole grains will provide soluble and insoluble fiber, very essential for the digestive system.

I get the feeling Rimping are a bit quick to raise the prices on certain products but don't remember any prices actually coming down. The strength of the baht against all the other major currencies and the big drop in oil prices a number of months ago didn't make any difference to their shelf prices. Maybe these economics don't affect Rimping?

Don't ignore health issues, meat such as pork and beef should not be eaten all that often, not more than once a week, particularly for people aged 40. plus, go for fish, chicken, (skin removed) fruit, veg, nuts, whole grains, not so much wheat (can cause IBS) go for oats, barley, brown rice, etc ... go also for seeds such as pumpkin, flax, sunflower, and not too much dairy products either, the whole grains will provide soluble and insoluble fiber, very essential for the digestive system.

I try not to eat any of those. How many people every year get fishbones in their throats. And nuts cause thousands of deaths a year. Naked chicken....well thats obscene.

Edited by harrry

I am far from rich but I do buy from Rimping anong others. It does not have to be all that expensive, A kilo or so of good pork for roasting about 170baht a kilo of beef from 170 to 400. A very large clean and plump chook for 140 baht. Any of those and a good supply of their wide range of very fresh vegatables which I have not found even in the markets can make a roast dinner for my wife and I and sandwiches for many days for far less than a lunch at the Red Bell...not to say it is not good value there I am sure it is. It really is just a matter of where you put your priorities. Cheese at 170 baht is qite edible and I have never found anywhere else. Coffee also seems to be fresher there. Tops do seem to get the freshest eggs though.

Of course if you buy foreign or processed farang type food it can be very very expensive.

Sorry millwell_fan this is not a rave against your place. I would certainly enjoy a visit but going there or other places is boring for my wife and although she will sit uncomplaining for many hours I cannot subject her to that. Neither of us drink either so are not the best bar customers.

Have the food police now come to Thailand?? Damm... thought I got away from that crap when I came here.

My apologies if I missed it -- but how many baht expenditure does it take for one point?

I had actually thought they had stopped the point game, as I no longer saw my accumulation on the sales slip. However, asking at the counter gave me my latest total.

The wait to get my Sony 32" telly is interesting -- but not as interesting as the wait to accumulate the points..... Sigh.

...<snip for brevity>

the best membership card I have is Tesco's every three month they send you vouchers off your shopping, I think its 10 bhat for every thousand points and you get 1 point for every 2 baht spent. After 3 months it adds up and "every little helps" :D

The same system applies with Tops, part-owned by the UK's Waitrose, which explains why they have the best selection of imported (Waitrose own-brand) biscuits in town ! Munch munch :coffee1::thumbsup:

When I first came to live here, I found Rimping to be markedly more-expensive, than the major supermarkets. But now find their excellent-range, and good-quality in meat & breads & cheeses, often makes them better than Carrefour or Tesco, who seem very poor on imported-goods. So I just buy what's best/cheapest at all of them.

I shop at Rimping, the local Market, Tesco's and Makro. I get different things from different places, its just a matter of choice. I have a rimping membership card which I may be able to swap the points for a plate or a spoon now after 2 years :D the best membership card I have is Tesco's every three month they send you vouchers off your shopping, I think its 10 bhat for every thousand points and you get 1 point for every 2 baht spent. After 3 months it adds up and "every little helps" :D

10 baht for every thousand points? if that is correct your getting taken. Rimping gives 100 baht per every 400 points.:D

but how many bhat per point in Rimping? its 2 bhat per point in tesco's. I think (but maybe wrong) its 25 bhat per point in Rimping.

Excellent question. 53 response on this thread (including mine)and not one TV member can give an answer. What a bunch of lazies we are.:lol:

Edited by gotlost

but how many bhat per point in Rimping? its 2 bhat per point in tesco's. I think (but maybe wrong) its 25 bhat per point in Rimping.

Excellent question. 53 response on this thread (including mine)and not one TV member can give an answer. What a bunch of lazies we are.:lol:

Having given this serious problem a great deal of thought and considerable time dedicated to research I think I can safely say without fear or contradiction that I have no idea! :D

Having given this serious problem a great deal of thought and considerable time dedicated to research I think I can safely say without fear or contradiction that I have no idea! :D

NO I am not going to make a special trip to Rimping today to find out. I'm lazy.:lol:

Qne point for every 25 baht. I like to shop at Rimping's because of quality, diversity and friendly employees. I like to pay a little more for that. Everybody has his preverences.

Qne point for every 25 baht. I like to shop at Rimping's because of quality, diversity and friendly employees. I like to pay a little more for that. Everybody has his preverences.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. None laze one.:jap: :lol:

10 baht for every thousand points? if that is correct your getting taken. Rimping gives 100 baht per every 400 points.:D

So on the rate that rimping give points out, both Rimping and Tesco's cost 10,000thb to get 100thb of discount. So your being taken as much as i am..... :D

So on the rate that rimping give points out, both Rimping and Tesco's cost 10,000thb to get 100thb of discount. So your being taken as much as i am..... :D

Nothing is free in life. We are going to pay one way or another.:lol: