Best Sleeping Tabs For Flight Home?

HalfSquat

I am flying East to West next week and am thinking of getting something to help me sleep either on the flight or when I get there to help with jet lag.

What is the best thing to get from a pharmacy out here? Preferably something I will be ok taking back into the UK with me!

Thanks.

when flying home i usually try to lay off the liquor the last two nights , get a good book at airport, get loads of water down your neck and have a few 10 mg diazepam to take on the flight , they can be bought at most pharmacy shops. they just mellow you right out.

Hadn't seen the replies but just come back from the shop with some .5 mg tabs of Alprazolam AKA Xanex.

Never taken this before so will see how I get on.

Says you shouldn't drink with them in the Internet?

Any medication (or alcohol) you take on a plane will affect you differently as your blood oxygen level is lower. (Aircraft at high altitudes are only pressurized to 6000 feet or so. It is enough to make a difference.) Also note that there have been many cases of panic attacks using Ambien on aircraft. Be careful up there! I've found that a single Benedryl to be remarkably effective and I'm a big guy.

Inducing a catatonic state is never helpful. What is it with the general populous that find it necessary to dumb themselves down with the expected pharmaceuticals.......as these character traits already exist in many societies.:rolleyes:

Ambien. It works for me without after affects, or hang over feeling.:jap:

Ambien is great. In Thailand and other places, it's sold as Stilnox. It's a real sleeping pill that makes you sleep, not something that simply makes you sleepy. Being really sleepy on a plane for 14 hours is worse than being awake.

Hadn't seen the replies but just come back from the shop with some .5 mg tabs of Alprazolam AKA Xanex.

Never taken this before so will see how I get on.

Says you shouldn't drink with them in the Internet?

One or two drinks with 0.5mg Xanax will just strengthen the effects. Remember it is a fast acting drug and the effects only last about 8 hours.

Don't take more than 0.5mg if it's your first time.

Ambien is great. In Thailand and other places, it's sold as Stilnox. It's a real sleeping pill that makes you sleep, not something that simply makes you sleepy. Being really sleepy on a plane for 14 hours is worse than being awake.

Is this stuf over the counter available or not ?

Is this stuf over the counter available or not ?

Yes, well strictly speaking under the counter, but you can get them at many pharmacies without prescription. Practically all these drugs are illegal, however, so be really careful here. I'd like to know what would happen if you get caught at the airport with a single xanax, for instance. It's probably best to go to the docs and get a prescription.

My best flight ever was London-KL on Air Asia X - take 1 xanax, drink 3 beers, have 4 seats to sprawl across, and enjoy 11 hours blissful sleep. All for 99 quid. Frankly, I wasn't overly keen on getting off.

Worst flight ever was the return - take a handful of 'sleep inducing' antihistermines bought in Boots at the airport, feel drowsy but not sleepy, have some silly bint across the aisle moan on and on about the lack of IFE, and get no sleep whatsoever for the next 96 hours.

As someone has already said, avoid the legal sleepies - they don't work.

Inducing a catatonic state is never helpful. What is it with the general populous that find it necessary to dumb themselves down with the expected pharmaceuticals.......as these character traits already exist in many societies.:rolleyes:

Silliest post of the year i think.

Some people, (not the general populous),like to sleep (not dumb down) whilst flying,simple really.

Charachter traits donsen't really enter into it either,the OP has stated he's never tried Xanax before.

PST.

• Like 1

Silliest post of the year i think.

Some people, (not the general populous),like to sleep (not dumb down) whilst flying,simple really.

Charachter traits donsen't really enter into it either,the OP has stated he's never tried Xanax before.

PST.

None of the above drugs induce a catatonic state. That only happens in the movies. Suggest you read a book or 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't take any on the flight over to the UK but took two xanax / zanax that night when I went to bed and had a great nights sleep.

Bit worried about taking the left overs back into Thailand & KL after reading some of the replies though!

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't take any on the flight over to the UK but took two xanax / zanax that night when I went to bed and had a great nights sleep.

Bit worried about taking the left overs back into Thailand & KL after reading some of the replies though!

Whilst going through security for the flight back from KL I mentioned above, I noticed a german guy ahead of me in the queue, who was had an ipod on and was jiving away to the music, looking loved up on pills. I remember saying to myself I pity the fool that has to sit next to him. I saw him again in departures,surfing on his netbook. I noticed he'd gone very quiet and pale, shocked even. Anyway, I boarded and I was the fool who was sat next to him. He sat down and pulled out a huge bag of sleeping pills and told me he googled penalties for getting caught with them while we were waiting to board. He said had he just been caught he'd probably have had the death penalty.

In short, I wouldn't worry about taking ONE through UK customs, but DO NOT take any into Thailand, and especially not through KL.

Despite having dozens of 'fun' items in our pharmaceutical stocks, I'd recommend taking two Actifed. Harmless, non-addictive, no one thinks twice if you have it in your possession, and unless you're a regular consumer of other 'fun' drugs, it should get you drowsy in 10-15 minutes.

:)

Ive had many a good nights sleep on a plane with xanax, but they are very addictive, just take one for the flight after the meal and a couple of drinks, throw the rest away. You will want the rest when you get home, and its not good, anyone agree?

Yes, they are highly addictive.

Like you said, it's best not to take them regularly and save them for flights only.

In the U.K. they are a Class C drug so only legal to have if you have a Doctors note.

In Britain they are not available on prescription because of their abuse.

Anyone ever try Melatonin? It's relatively non-addictive and supposedly works well. I bought some years ago (available over-the-counter) but never had the occasion to try it.

Tried it once.

Slow working,and felt drowsy and languid the next day..along with the jet lag.

Not recommended

40 years ago my first real long haul flight was on QANTAS from Syd Airport(got deported :lol: ) in ....obvious..and found that a concoction of G&Ts and good Aussi beer made the flight bearable so have stuck to that remedy ever since. :rolleyes:

Dont like pills of any sort.

Flight then was on a 707 and the route was up/down...Manila-Hong Kong -Bombay-Tehran-Athens-Rome-Amsterdam...and finally Heathrow....37 *****hours...

soooo much easier now ....only 12-14 hours usually... :D

Anyone ever try Melatonin? It's relatively non-addictive and supposedly works well. I bought some years ago (available over-the-counter) but never had the occasion to try it.

It didn't work for me. I tried it before I found out it only works as a placebo.