My Last Question!

Tomorrow Tuesday we plan to visit Regent House to submit everything, BUT I have one concern, our wedding certificate, Tabien Bahn, name change, stepdaughter birth certificate, stepdaughter sole custody documents are in Thai only, on the paper application form I played with before I applied online, it said Thai docs did not need to be translated but on the VFS how to apply page it shows this

Translations

If you want the UK Border Agency visa officer to consider your visa application you should provide translations of any supporting documents that are not in English. Any translated documents need to be submitted with the original document for verification. All translated documents must include the following information: -

• confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document • the date of the translation • the translator's full name and signature • the translator's contact details

Not sure if I should do the translations? any one know I guess there must be places near to Regent House who could do the translation easily and quick?

As for ever I appreciate your input!

Cheers

Hi Silverdales, there is conflicting information available on the vfs website.

The checklist SpouseAndCivilPartner and ChildSettlement has the following text.

PLEASE NOTE:

(a) There is no requirement for all Thai language documents to be translated.

I didn't get any translations done for my wife and stepsons application, still waiting on an answer though.

As a general rule of thumb, you should take what is quoted on the UKBA website over the VFS; the UKBA website sets out the immigration rules and guidance that ECOs will use, VFS just forward your application.

For the majority of visa applications regardless of type, if documents are not in English or Welsh then they should be translated by a certified person, with full contact details provided with the translation.

I used to recommend people use a translation service next to Regent House, where it used to be around 200 Baht / page. Reports are that it is now 1,000 Baht per page.

Best you find a translation service away from the Embassy, though this may not be possible if you plan to go tomorrow. If you're really in a bind and can't find anyone, my friend is a certified translator and is in Tannon Thani, N. Bangkok. PM if you need her details.

Both the UKBA and the VAC websites now say that documents not in English should be accompanied by a translation; however part 11 of the application form does not say this, and the supporting documents checklist actually says that it is not necessary!

Since the instruction to provide translations first appeared, many people have reportedly submitted applications without any translations and have not had a problem.

The entry clearance section does have Thai staff who can verify documents, however I have always believed that it is a good idea to provide translations anyway, as it may save time.

My advice is, if you have time then get them translated, but remember most agencies will need at least a day to do this; maybe longer. If not, then submit the application anyway; maybe with a note to say that as the checklist says translations are not needed you didn't get any.

It is a good idea to get translations of birth and marriage certificates done in Thailand, anyway. You may very well need them once in the UK and having them done there will be a lot more expensive than in Thailand.

It is a good idea to get translations of birth and marriage certificates done in Thailand, anyway. You may very well need them once in the UK and having them done there will be a lot more expensive than in Thailand.

7by7, UK government departments (such as child benefit) no longer accept translations you've had done in Thailand (or anywhere else). They will only accept original documents then have them translated themselves. They told me it was because it's too easy to alter documents on a home PC these so they couldn't rely on the translation being genuine.

Just to update all - we went to the place and found somewhere nearby who could translate - cut a long story they ended up not ready by the time their numbers came up, the staff told my wife translations were not necessary and gave her back her original tabien baht and kept copies, I had also provided 2 folders of supporting docs both identical and they only wanted the 1 master book so bit puzzled by it all but got the normal Mai Pen Rai so lets just hope its OK!

I wasnt too bothered as at last I can see what my marriage certificate says!!!!!

• 1 month later...