Coconut Ice Ingredients

theoldgit

Bit of a sad request so please bare with me.

I love coconut ice, which is a candy very popular in the UK, I have never seen it in Thailand but it seems to be very easy to make.

The main ingredient is Desiccated Coconut which is basically dried coconut very finely grated. Does anybody know if it's available in Thailand, maybe called something else - I have just got blank looks so far?

http://www.scottishrecipes.co.uk/coconutice.htm

post-72629-040092800 1280801627_thumb.jp

Hello theoldgit, Foodland and Villa, but WHY use old packaged crap when you can use 'FRESH',

when the last(or any) time you saw coconuts trees with coconuts in England besides in pictures?

rice555

PS use a little less liquid when using fresh coconut, can always add if needed.

post-37242-099098000 1280817878_thumb.jp

post-37242-078401200 1280818061_thumb.jp

I make my own most of the time by drying ground coconut I buy from the local market. When I can't be bothered to do that there is a small bakery supply shop close to the river in Pak Kret that sells it in 1kg bags. I think I remember seeing it in Villa but the price was crazy and the bags were tiny.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know where to get this product... "Desiccated Coconut"

This online snapshot from a Supermarket in Hong Kong and costs appros THB20 for 80 grams. (And, this in Hong Kong).

PL100558.jpg

I tried in Makro, Tesco, Careefour and Big C and none have it..

I haven't tried Villa (this is the first time I hear this supermarket name) ... do they have it? I live in Rama 3 area... so I could try the Silom store next time.. I found the location online.

In fact, I tried their online shop and found the product (close enough) through Google Translate..

http://www.weloveshopping.com/template/a34/showproduct1.php?productid=POD02&shopid=191423

It is way too expenseive... THB100 for 100 grams.. And, it says it is sweet for cake.. But, we use it for cooking, etc (should not be any sweet flavour added).. If this is the only product they have.. then certainly I will not buy it due to cost and sweetness.

We are regular user of Desiccated Coconut.. and I know that I can get this product from Market Fresh... But, the problem is that the market where I go usually every two weeks in Silom... the shop closes quite early only till 9am or something. And, if I get there late.. there is no way to get it.

And, I prefer the packed ones so that I can keep for longer periods.. without any worry of it getting bad.

Please advise if there are any other choice to get a packed Desiccated Coconut.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I always thought coconut ice was Australian? :)

I had the same problem - only place I could find dessicated coconut was Villa - and while not so cheap, its far more expensive than dessicated coconut that I was able to buy home in Australia (and I think most came from Thailand???).

Anyway I am sure that there are cheaper places to buy it in Thailand - and did find a place other than Villa - just go down Sukhumvit 33/1 (which is almost opposite Emphorium). The Robin Hood pub is on the corner. Then just walk and walk and walk around 300m or more and you will see a baking school (HKM or something). At the bottom of the stairs to the baking school, at ground level to the left is their shop. They have many good stuff there including 1kg bags of white and also toasted dessicated coconut. Still not ultra cheap but around 170 baht for 1kg - so lots of coconut ice :)

Good luck

Hello theoldgit, Foodland and Villa, but WHY use old packaged crap when you can use 'FRESH',

when the last(or any) time you saw coconuts trees with coconuts in England besides in pictures?

rice555

PS use a little less liquid when using fresh coconut, can always add if needed.