What Bicycle Do You Ride In Thailand?

BBbUn

What's your ride?  

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The current line-up

1. Scott Scale 70, converted to rigid by changin the front shocks.

2. Trek 6000

3. Trek 4300

3. Trek 3900

4. Banshee Morphine, 6 Inch front travel.

5. Merida TFS 500

All hardtail, except the Scott which was converted to Rigid.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Bluedan,

Very nice bikes, which of the two do you prefer to ride ?

I have just finished building nearly the exact same Giant in the UK. Full TCR carbon in Once colours, nine speed dura-ace groupset, krysium elite wheels and ritchie wet look bars and stem. Had the components for quite a few years now only just got round to building it, still have not ridden the Giant, as travelled to Nakhon Phanom a few days after finishing it. It is nearly a retro classic already and just built, but surprised myself just how light it built up.

Still have to decided whether to take the Giant to Thailand with me or my trusty old Trek 2300 road bike. Hopefully will get my act together for my next trip in November.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

I really loved the Giant ...it was my first road bike and served me very well. But the Cervelo is something else. It is so stiff, responsive and comfortable ride. I put a sram red groupset on it and the gear changing is so smooth. The bike weighs 6.7 kg with pedals and is great in the hills, but now am modifying it for the Phuket triathlon to make it more aero.

my trail bike.

DSC_2415.png

Merida Matts HFS 3000 Hardtail Frame

Truvativ Stylo OCT Crankset

Shimano XT Rear and Front Derailleur

Truvativ Holzfeller Handlebar, Stem, Headset and Seatpost

Suntour Epicon Fork

Avid Juicy Mechanical disk brake

Shimano Deore shifter

XT cassete

Sun Rim Single track

Hutchinson Piranha 2.3

Lizard skin grip

Lizard skin chain protection

my trail bike.

DSC_2415.png

Suntour Epicon Fork

Shimano Deore shifter

XT cassete

Sun Rim Single track

Hutchinson Piranha 2.3

Lizard skin grip

That's not a trail bike. It is way too clean! :lol:

my trail bike.

DSC_2415.png

Suntour Epicon Fork

Shimano Deore shifter

XT cassete

Sun Rim Single track

Hutchinson Piranha 2.3

Lizard skin grip

Nice bike.

Avid Juicy are hydraulic brakes.

• 2 weeks later...

looking forward to buy two beach cruiser bikes, the best would be online. (new or second hand)

comfort, good price and shipping will be much appreciated.

T.

You can buy these in Chiang Mai and Bangkok. They seem to becoming popular here now.

looking forward to buy two beach cruiser bikes, the best would be online. (new or second hand)

T.

You can buy these in Chiang Mai and Bangkok. They seem to becoming popular here now.

As a child I had a many beach cruisers maybe because I lived at the beach? One speed coaster brakes were/are so cool. Would be fun to have one around here

just for kicks.

I believe Trek has one out sold at Jackies.

Talking about bicycle....your yellow bike showen here T-Dog his is one hot looking bike.

T.

As a child I had a many beach cruisers maybe because I lived at the beach? One speed coaster brakes were/are so cool. Would be fun to have one around here

just for kicks.

I believe Trek has one out sold at Jackies.

Talking about bicycle....your yellow bike showen here T-Dog his is one hot looking bike.

I thought you had probably had one or two of those! And as for my Yellow Mantra, it's my daily driver!

• 2 weeks later...

just for kicks.

In the mall between Siam Discovery Center and Siam Paragon there's a skater clothing shop that sells beach cruiser/chopper bikes.

I think its' called "NY/LA" or something like that and there's one in Esplanade mall too.

They sell Nirve and Paul Frank cruiser bikes.

• 1 month later...

Road bike: Cervelo Soloist Carbon

MTB: Dean Colonel X-Lite

Both bikes fitted with PowerTap power meters.

Mostly train on the road bike and race on the MTB.

Do about 1,200+ km per month.

Train alone around Khon Kaen and Vientiane.

By the way, I am toying with the idea of providing a personal coaching service (mostly by correspondence via email) for people willing to invest in a power meter, but I am not sure yet if there is a market for this (in Thailand). I wonder if anyone here may be interested or know someone who may be interested?

post-22225-0-02447600-1291910537_thumb.j

post-22225-0-02938000-1291910575_thumb.j

Road bike: Cervelo Soloist Carbon

MTB: Dean Colonel X-Lite

Both bikes fitted with PowerTap power meters.

Mostly train on the road bike and race on the MTB.

Do about 1,200+ km per month.

Train alone around Khon Kaen and Vientiane.

By the way, I am toying with the idea of providing a personal coaching service (mostly by correspondence via email) for people willing to invest in a power meter, but I am not sure yet if there is a market for this (in Thailand). I wonder if anyone here may be interested or know someone who may be interested?

I'm currently considering a Cervelo S3 - Great machines and I'd love to own one.

For now I'm riding a Giant - It rides well but the vibration is a bit much on rough roads, hence my considering a carbon frame.

gallery_7176_1405_52553.jpg

• 2 months later...

T-Dog said: '...Road bikes make my back hurt now that I am older so I use the Mantra for road riding as well as trail riding. Fox shocks, Hope hydraulic disks...'

I have a 15-yr olde Trek road bike with thin tires and only oil-filled front shocks - it weighs a ton - it is definitely no longer suitable for me as I am over 60 with 2 medical problems which surfaced in my January medical: poor right knee meniscus, and spurs on my spine all from a 3m drop straight to the ground. I have recently started putting on weight as my jogging days are over. I really do need safe exercise.

I believe renewed cycling is the way to go; with a bike like T-Dog's, with ample shocks, robust yet lightweight, sized for a 5'8" (1.73m) body height. Any suggestions please: your advice appreciated. Cheers :jap:

So noone bough the good value local LA Bikes?

Hmm Proline -> Black line 2010 & 2008 models for 27k & 12.9k respectively! Not sure exactly which was the best deal, but the cheapest need a few 'upgrade' parts to be ready for the khao ito red trail LOL ;)

Thanks ad61. The Trek Fuel Ex5 full suspension looks like the answer. Could you supply a price and source, please? Greatly appreciate the info you gave. Cheers

Hi Jingjoke,

Probike in Bangkok (Trek bicycle dealer) have it on their website for 56,000.- Baht http://probike.co.th/bike_view.php?bc_id=2&id=556

I contacted them by e-mail to ask for details (frame size availability, color etc.) then I called the guy who answered me, named "Jacky"

he told me that after discount, the net price of it would be 46,800.-.

I ordered the bike thru the Trek dealer in Phuket who charged me a thousand Baht more for transport and bike set-up.

Great news! I only just found this; “Cycling in Thailand” on Thaivisa. I have two bikes, a Merida Matts 40 and a kona, kula. I feel very lucky to live in Mae Taeng and only really have to ride on iron roads simply to cross to the next dirt track. Trying to get back into it after near 18 months lay-off, (the evils of work)

^^ Cheers ad61...

You're welcome Jingjoke.

For your information and according to your body height, you should buy a Fuel ex with a frame size of 17.5".

P.S. let me know how happy you are with it when you get it, I'm pretty sure that you will also feel like a kid again...5555

Cheers!

^^ Cheers ad61...

You're welcome Jingjoke.

For your information and according to your body height, you should buy a Fuel ex with a frame size of 17.5".

P.S. let me know how happy you are with it when you get it, I'm pretty sure that you will also feel like a kid again...5555

Cheers!

After many years riding my trusty Jamis Durango hard tail, which has been a great bike I'm finally looking at going full-sus. The Trek Fuel looks to be the best bang for the buck available locally and gets some pretty good ratings on MTB Review. Would be good to get some feedback from you ad61 about how your Trek handles. Down here in the south (Surat) we've got some great trails but pretty rough and rocky in places :-)

^^ Cheers ad61...

You're welcome Jingjoke.

Cheers!

After many years riding my trusty Jamis Durango hard tail, which has been a great bike I'm finally looking at going full-sus. The Trek Fuel looks to be the best bang for the buck available locally and gets some pretty good ratings on MTB Review. Would be good to get some feedback from you ad61 about how your Trek handles. Down here in the south (Surat) we've got some great trails but pretty rough and rocky in places :-)

Hi yotspeed,

the Fuel Ex 5 is a fantastic bike with a great frame and an awsome suspension, which, once correctly tuned according to your body weight, make you feel at ease on any terrain, allowing you to ride faster and with much more confidence than on a conventional (hard tail) mtb.

I'm really in love with it, .....almost like the guy on the picture

Cheers!

post-70768-0-48147900-1298707025_thumb.j

Archived