Are Thai Companies

ignis

Very rarely not had a response to an email here, from dentists to exercise equipment, rare bottle of booze, books, fibre glass, service centres, you name it. Perhaps your email address is flagging up their filters and being trashed. Do you have a crappy Hotmail account? Also be sure to have a non-spammy subject and make the content nice and basic.

No do not have a crappy hotmail or yahoo account.. use @gmail.com or @thail.com... Subject: is product + number as per there website.

Oddly have emailed a number of Companies in the past for small items never a problem prompt reply, goods bought and received, things between 300 baht to about 5,000 baht... Just now wanting to spend 60-70.000 baht get no replies... 2 of the website state 'We speak Thai. English & German' so far have sent 2 emails one in English, 3 weeks later more or less the same in German.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Worldwide today English is the lingua franca (a medium of communication between peoples of different languages). Within Thailand, between hilltribe groups and Thai merchants or teachers, Thai (maybe Lanna Thai, maybe Standard/Central Thai, some kind of Thai) is most probably the lingua franca.

The hilltribe folks and those with whom they do local business most likely do not communicate with emails and websites. The merchants with websites have a different target for their customers. If they're setting up the website for show only, how are we, the potential customer to know? Assuming that management genuinely is interested in attracting customers from afar, then they should be prepared to communicate with their customers in today's language of business, i.e., English. If they are doing a great deal of business with clients in, say, Japan or Chile, then it would be wise to employ sales people who can speak and write Japanese or Spanish. But, as is true in the tourism sector, English is the common language.

It all boils down to good management. If top-level managers really cared about the growth of their company and wanted additional sales--which is manifested by the satisfaction of the customers--they would make sure that business could be conducted effectively. As in The Emperor Has No Clothes, who's brave/foolish enough to tell them?

They all knew how to say in English, “are you married, how long have you lived in Thailand, where do you work, do you have a house.”

I think I've met some of them. One has even progressed to the much more complicated composition "Where you come from mister?" :rolleyes:

How many responses would an email written in Thai get from Western companies in the West?

Learn Thai, or at the very <deleted> least have a Thai PA if you're doing business here, in order to contact Thai companies you're looking to deal with. It's simple common sense of the lowest level.

And the international language of business is?????? Thai??????

If you don't agree that people doing business here should learn Thai or have a Thai PA to communicate and correspond with Thai businesses here, then I feel you haven't been here very long.

Wait, a company in America that wishes to buy a product from an exporting company in Thailand...should hire a Thai person, even though the website is in English and they advertise that they are happy to respond in that language etc?

I really don't think it is the language per se that is the issue. Not when even letters in Thai can be meet with forever silence...

How many responses would an email written in Thai get from Western companies in the West?

Learn Thai, or at the very <deleted> least have a Thai PA if you're doing business here, in order to contact Thai companies you're looking to deal with. It's simple common sense of the lowest level.

Yet still over the head of our comrades.

Looks like you have a friend. :lol:

Yet still over the head of our comrades.

Looks like you have a friend. :lol:

Yes, friends in banalty and flawed reasoning. The question to ask isn't, "How many responses would an email written in Thai get from Western companies in the West?" as English is THE international business language. The question should be "How many responses would an email written in English get from companies in Korea/Japan/China/India/Indonesia/Vietnam?" and I guess the answer in all cases would be a whole lot more than here.

There are folks who are apparently looking to make sure that the international business language is used and another group entirely who are just intent on conducting business.

My bet is on the latter team.

:)

Yes, friends in banalty and flawed reasoning. The question to ask isn't, "How many responses would an email written in Thai get from Western companies in the West?" as English is THE international business language. The question should be "How many responses would an email written in English get from companies in Korea/Japan/China/India/Indonesia/Vietnam?" and I guess the answer in all cases would be a whole lot more than here.

Absolutely.

Hence why it's simple common sense to either learn Thai, or to have a Thai assistant to help with contacting and dealing with local businesses.

Don't think that Thailand is suddenly going to adapt to your ways, you need to adapt to Thailand to succeed here.

Edited by thomo

Worldwide today English is the lingua franca (a medium of communication between peoples of different languages). Within Thailand, between hilltribe groups and Thai merchants or teachers, Thai (maybe Lanna Thai, maybe Standard/Central Thai, some kind of Thai) is most probably the lingua franca.

The hilltribe folks and those with whom they do local business most likely do not communicate with emails and websites. The merchants with websites have a different target for their customers. If they're setting up the website for show only, how are we, the potential customer to know? Assuming that management genuinely is interested in attracting customers from afar, then they should be prepared to communicate with their customers in today's language of business, i.e., English. If they are doing a great deal of business with clients in, say, Japan or Chile, then it would be wise to employ sales people who can speak and write Japanese or Spanish. But, as is true in the tourism sector, English is the common language.

It all boils down to good management. If top-level managers really cared about the growth of their company and wanted additional sales--which is manifested by the satisfaction of the customers--they would make sure that business could be conducted effectively. As in The Emperor Has No Clothes, who's brave/foolish enough to tell them?

There is a feeling among Thais and a lot of posters on Thai Visa that Thailand is an old conservative country steeped in tradition that is very slow to change.

That is just nonsense. Foolishness. Stupidity.

Thailand completely changed in a matter of a few years from 1930 to 1950. And it was all due to one PM who felt his nation needed to be westernized. Thais used to eat with their hands, and the women were topless to use a couple of examples. After the PM began issuing edicts to eat with spoons and forks and ladies please put on a shirt everything changed. Unfortunately the PM that made all the changes was a fascist and probably should have been executed for war crimes but that is another story.

For those who lived in or worked in Singapore in the 1960’s you know the drastic changes that country made to get where it is now. The PM however was not a fascist war criminal and he had more leeway than the PM’s of Thailand in that the military was on his side and was never as strong as the Thai military industrial complex anyway.

Thailand has far more natural resources and potential than Singapore ever had or has. The only difference was leadership.

Thailand could change in 5 years if there was some enlightened leadership and one of the first changes would be to start speaking English as in Singapore and follow the immigration policies that Singapore had as far as attracting quality administration.

It doesn’t happen in Thailand because the powers that be don’t want to rock the boat. They are nearsighted and don’t realize the potential for everyone to be far better off.

You are exactly right it is a matter of telling someone he does not have any clothes on.

Sometimes, the English language version of their website was only created to impress potential Thai customers. The firm wants to create the impression that it is modern and has international connections. You can sometimes observe that the Thai language version has been updated, while the English version remains as an empty shell, unchanged from whenever it was created.

Low level Thai staff often freeze when they see English, and then hit the Delete key, thinking that if it is in English, it must be junk mail.

I tend to agree - but what the companies are thinking when they get an email in English isn't clear.

THey can't understand it so the best thing to do is ignore it - I don't think they realise that with every reply they fail to make they lose just a little bit more face....but at least they avoid any "unpleasantness" or "confrontation".

It's all just part of Thai customer service - if it involves any effort on their part the vast majority just don't want to know

Absolutely.

Hence why it's simple common sense to either learn Thai, or to have a Thai assistant to help with contacting and dealing with local businesses.

Don't think that Thailand is suddenly going to adapt to your ways, you need to adapt to Thailand to succeed here.

If I am correct, the internet is rather a global thing. As such, anybody in any other country other than Thailand, can access an English Thai website (presented in English) & can comprehend what is indicated on the website.

A possible scenario.

Non Thai internet user (English speaker of any nationality): Wow! This is just what I am looking for. Even better, I can send them an email & get more info.

After 2 or 3 weeks;

Non Thai internet user (English speaker of any nationality): I haven't received a reply to my request. I think I'll send them another request for info.

After a further 2 or 3 weeks;

Non Thai internet user (English speaker of any nationality): Obviously, they don't want my business. I'll go elsewhere.

Businesses generally make it easy (or easier) for prospective clients to access information etc. Prospective clients do not generally learn a new language so that a target business/seller can conduct it's sales.

Translated conversation with prospective seller after some months;

Non Thai internet user (English speaker of any nationality): Thanks for your reply. I really like your product but it has cost me about <insert appropriate cost> to get information from you, also considering that it took me quite some time to find someone willing to help me (a Thai person who is capable of proper translation). As such, what discount will you give me?

Thailand needs to adapt to the rest of the world...one way or the other. By pandering to their inability to change, one only exacerbates the problem in Thailand.

Thanks thomo, for helping Thailand to avoid any sorely needed changes.

Thailand needs to adapt to the rest of the world...one way or the other.

Congratulations, you're learning.

By pandering to their inability to change, one only exacerbates the problem in Thailand.

Perhaps complain about your inability to understand Thailand and the way Thailand works on an internet forum... That should learn them.

I, nor you, are going to convince Thailand to change. Go with the (Thai) flow here, you'll find the doors open far quicker.

:jap:

And btw, I'm sure I've mentioned it before... if anyone wants a 100,000 post thread, I suggest 'What should Thailand do to progress, in order to match the West'. After all, some people expect it to be the same.

Perhaps have the second title as 'why won't they do it?'

A million post thread if ever there was one. :)

Edited by thomo

By pandering to their inability to change,

And btw, I'm not entirely sure that when conducting business in a very foreign culture and language, hiring a local to help communication, because you haven't learned the language, is pandering their inability to change.

More like not doing so just ends up with you being very frustrated and bewildered, and left without your business deal, with the Thais none the wiser. Kind of like this thread really. Frustration and bewilderment with the culture/language barrier and how it left you empty handed, and how it doesn't work like in the West.

Edited by thomo

Thailand needs to adapt to the rest of the world...one way or the other.

Congratulations, you're learning.

By pandering to their inability to change, one only exacerbates the problem in Thailand.

Perhaps complain about your inability to understand Thailand and the way Thailand works on an internet forum... That should learn them.

I, nor you, are going to convince Thailand to change. Go with the (Thai) flow here, you'll find the doors open far quicker.

I am changing it. I help Thai executives with their email and translate textbooks for Thai vocational schools into English. Not everybody is a bump on a log.

And btw, I'm sure I've mentioned it before... if anyone wants a 100,000 post thread, I suggest 'What should Thailand do to progress, in order to match the West'. After all, some people expect it to be the same.

'What should Thailand do to progress, in order to match the West' => Put all the country's money on the 3:40 at Kempton Park (dog races) - similar to trusting it all to bankers - and just as sure to bankrupt a whole lot of 3 star countries!

"why won't they do it?'" => Because the people with the power have the money and the ways to make more money and to keep that money, what's in it for them to change?

This thread is hopelessly crossed purposed (is that a word?). While it does make sense when operating here to have a Thai language 'interface' - that isn't what the post was about originally - it was the other end, doesn't it make sense for Thai companies that offer English language contacts and advertise in English, actually hire someone that can answer those queries and make the sales and doesn't it make sense to actually answer sales enquiries and not just hit delete. These are different issues. The first is, "what do I need to do to succeed in business here", the second is "what do Thai companies need to do to succeed internationally". As these are different questions the same answer isn't going to answer both (and indeed are diametrically opposed to each other) - so unless we agree on the question, arguments are mute.

'What should Thailand do to progress, in order to match the West' => Put all the country's money on the 3:40 at Kempton Park (dog races) - similar to trusting it all to bankers - and just as sure to bankrupt a whole lot of 3 star countries!

"why won't they do it?'" => Because the people with the power have the money and the ways to make more money and to keep that money, what's in it for them to change?

There are millions of farmers doing subsistence farming for a couple of months a year and drinking moonshine the rest of the year.

They could be producing goods and selling them and the profit would go to the owners of the companies.

Why don’t they know this? There is every reason for rich people to want change. More consumers with money means more money for rich people. This is not rocket science.

There are millions of farmers doing subsistence farming for a couple of months a year and drinking moonshine the rest of the year.

They could be producing goods and selling them and the profit would go to the owners of the companies.

Why don't they know this? There is every reason for rich people to want change. More consumers with money means more money for rich people. This is not rocket science.

I suspect the fear is that with change could easily come their replacement. Once upon a time in Europe the gentry owned and run all the big companies and made all the money and kept the poor people low. Then came the freedom to trade, need to compete internationally and skilled workers - thus education - thus people with earning power, ideas and get-up-and-go attitudes - its these that inherit the world (not the meek and not the well-to-do-old-money-sit-at-the-top-and-do-bugger-all gentry). These people do not want competent competition, they don't want companies with more money to buy them out, they don't want international pressure to level playing fields and end monopolies, they don't want salaries to rise and education to improve - its too a big a risk - welcome to feudalism, Thailand never left. Think why did Thaksin really get into so much political trouble selling Shin Corp to Singapore? taxes? really?

Why don't they know this? There is every reason for rich people to want change. More consumers with money means more money for rich people. This is not rocket science.

I suspect the fear is that with change could easily come their replacement. Once upon a time in Europe the gentry owned and run all the big companies and made all the money and kept the poor people low. Then came the freedom to trade, need to compete internationally and skilled workers - thus education - thus people with earning power, ideas and get-up-and-go attitudes - its these that inherit the world (not the meek and not the well-to-do-old-money-sit-at-the-top-and-do-bugger-all gentry). These people do not want competent competition, they don't want companies with more money to buy them out, they don't want international pressure to level playing fields and end monopolies, they don't want salaries to rise and education to improve - its too a big a risk - welcome to feudalism, Thailand never left. Think why did Thaksin really get into so much political trouble selling Shin Corp to Singapore? taxes? really?

The same conditions existed in Singapore. Why did they change?

Because they needed to do so, in order to survive. Singapore is a mere minuscule dot on the earth but somehow has significant global standing.

Edited by elkangorito

They dont email and they dont call back, they dont need our money and most see us as a laod of cheap charlies that want it for nothing and we are loaded, .ive even emailed Mistubishi and Toyota and had no reply, after living in and visiting thailand for 22 years i understand it less now than i did when i arrived, bizarre

Because they needed to do so, in order to survive. Singapore is a mere minuscule dot on the earth but somehow has significant global standing.

Yes, completely different history (allowing for less nationalistic barriers), smaller country with very few resources, happened before the tiger economy rise (so they never got in their heads that they were a economic colossus on the rise), different national personality (cultural differences) - chalk and cheese.

To suggest that Thailand won't change is without any basis in what's actually happening - Thailand is changing, it HAS to change and develop. A lot of the "old thinking " will have Retired from these businesses in the next decade or so.

All younger Thais learn English, Chinese etc and are much more aware of how to conduct business internationally - this is much more of a step for say US or Europe who have been doing this sort of thing amongst themselves for centuries.

Training in language of business is carried out almost universally in Thailand and changes are happening. In the mean time the situation is not very good but the constant discussion and pressure from those outsiders involved in Thai business - and there are a lot f expats etc working here - will bring about change.

To suggest that Thailand won't change is without any basis in what's actually happening - Thailand is changing, it HAS to change and develop. A lot of the "old thinking " will have Retired from these businesses in the next decade or so.

All younger Thais learn English, Chinese etc and are much more aware of how to conduct business internationally - this is much more of a step for say US or Europe who have been doing this sort of thing amongst themselves for centuries.

Training in language of business is carried out almost universally in Thailand and changes are happening. In the mean time the situation is not very good but the constant discussion and pressure from those outsiders involved in Thai business - and there are a lot f expats etc working here - will bring about change.

Hypothetically, what if - deep down - the Thais don't really care if they keep up with the siwilai standard that has been set upon them. Things {here} would still get done, life would go on, smiles would still persist. Without the ideals attaching themselves to a madhatter world. All this could could easily run right by and they probably wouldn't shed a tear nor gather angst. "Siwilai" isn't all what it is cracked up to be.

Ning, Hi it's me, Marky again, leaving you another message. I am starting to think your answering machine might have a problem. And you know what, I am really wondering why you won't call me back. If you don't want to call me back well that is your loss. Actually, you are a total idiot if you don't call me back. Don't you realize how beneficial it would be for you to call me back? You know what, I couldn't even properly explain to that waitress today that I wanted extra onions and no garlic in my fried rice and now you won't call me back. Is it because I am leaving messages in English? Did I not overhear you say to Kip "blah blah blah haa-seep PERCENT"? Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that an ENGLISH word? I should know, I teach English in Thailand. Well back to the point, it's really amazing me that you are so stupid and childish and idiotic that you won't even give me a call back. I am here to save you Ning. If you give me a chance that is. Ning. I want to internationalize you. Doesn't that sound like fun? Oh, why won't you answer the phone Ning? Pleeaaaassssssssseeee!

Edited by Chunky1

I, nor you, are going to convince Thailand to change.

I am changing it. I help Thai executives with their email and translate textbooks for Thai vocational schools into English.

That's great. Really great. Well done.

I'm sure that at the end of your career, you having helped Thai execs with their emails, and the schools actually having your English books, that you will have convinced Thailand to change to a open, progressive society which highly values education and a western outlook. Perhaps society will even look back with bemusement, and laugh at how things they once did things. No more 'Thai way' of doing things. I can certainly see it. Emails changing the world.

Congrats.