Are Thai Companies

ignis

Just to add one thing, when my business deals with a thai company I always have my thai staff call. What I can never understand, I will ask my staff to call company A and order 3 widgets. The conversation should be less than 30 seconds but for whatever reason they end up on the phone for 5 minutes talking about god knows what.laugh.gif

Edited by BillR
  • Like 1

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have no reason to disbelieve the reports of manufacturing/product/equipment companies not responding to e-mails. But I must say that my experience e-mailing international dental centers and hospitals has been stellar. Certainly, for those companies whose primary customer base is foreigners, e-mails are answered very, very well.

Regarding the supposedly terribly poor level of Thai writing in English, I find it not too bad overall, and surprisingly good in many cases. (As compared to English writing from Korean, Japanese, Chinese people, etc.)

I always think that Thai will be more keen on doing business and respecting their customers when they will have 3 millions unemployed living on welfare and when noodles will cost 500 thb a dish...

Of course this is not what i wish to them, but it's so boring sometimes to see that people don't mind you as a customer and treat you like shxt when you don't buy, without even thinking that you could buy next time...

• Like 1

How many responses would an email written in Thai get from Western companies in the West?

Learn Thai, or at the very <deleted> least have a Thai PA if you're doing business here, in order to contact Thai companies you're looking to deal with. It's simple common sense of the lowest level.

I try to do business in foods with Thailand since 1993. It is astonishing how many "international" companies in fact only have a limited staff speaking English. When they are afraid to make mistakes, they prefere to keep thier mouth shut.

When I ask them .. "what a FARANG in W-Europe can do with .. coconut milk" I only get "use it in Thai curries, or make tom kha gai". ZERO knowledge nor imagination to expalian to a foreign customer what to do with their products.

A Thai 'export manager" who was for the 7th time at SIAL food fair in Paris, but.. saw only exhibition, hotel, airport and bus to come there. NEVER seen a French shop of one of their customers. How you expect such a person to have even an idea about potential use of their products in the French kitchen..possibilities etc. at their customeers ? ONLY if a buyer askes, and very specific commands what he/she wants, there is a chance. But .. OWN initiative, innovtion.. forget it.

R&D deparment means .. Copy dept. Sales = emty-dept Inbox e-mail.

According not only me, the Thais loose between 95-98 % of their export chances by this.

A Chinese will use any chance to bring his/her name under the attention of a potentail customer, a Thai goes to sit on his/her hands, and wait ..

That's why my canned mango, lychee, longan, papaya, baby corn, bamboo shoots, mixed veg, soya sauce, oyster sauce, instant noodlees, rice vermicelli already went to Southern China, and my coconut milk products to Sri Lanka.

• Like 2

How many responses would an email written in Thai get from Western companies in the West?

Learn Thai, or at the very <deleted> least have a Thai PA if you're doing business here, in order to contact Thai companies you're looking to deal with. It's simple common sense of the lowest level.

Wow,smart reply.

So all companies around the world have to hire a Thai to do business with Thai a company,very good,I assume you stay to long here already.

Wow,smart reply.

So all companies around the world have to hire a Thai to do business with Thai a company,very good,I assume you stay to long here already.

Go to a Thai 'Job' section and you find many many Thai Companies seeking Thai persons with good English communication skills..

Maybe they cannot find any? maybe a opening for English speaking person? Work permit as no Thai person can do this job ?

It is just odd, I live out in the sticks, and almost everyone speaks English, some perfect some pigeon English as we call it, Mixed ages , again oddly it appears Thais between 30 - 40 have the most problems, all the under 20's speak perfect English, and the over 50's there English is very good.

Edit: as for 'Learn Thai' fine, problem is where do you practice? OK at the local market but even here most I find only want to speak English or better/practice there English

Edited by ignis

Wow,smart reply.

Go to a Thai 'Job' section and you find many many Thai Companies seeking Thai persons with good English communication skills..

Maybe they cannot find any? maybe a opening for English speaking person? Work permit as no Thai person can do this job ?

It is just odd, I live out in the sticks, and almost everyone speaks English, some perfect some pigeon English as we call it, Mixed ages , again oddly it appears Thais between 30 - 40 have the most problems, all the under 20's speak perfect English, and the over 50's there English is very good.

Edit: as for 'Learn Thai' fine, problem is where do you practice? OK at the local market but even here most I find only want to speak English or better/practice there English

Where do you live?

• Like 1

Wow,smart reply.

Where do you live?

if you apply for a job in any company in europe they will ask for evidence of your EL skills - it is really only in Eng Lang countries where this does not happen.

IMO the standard of EL in THailand has dramatically improved oeer the last 5 to 10 years as most kids get some basic training in school now.THe next step is to broaden there cultural awareness - this is happening to some degree, but I'm often taken aback by the parochial nature of University students general knowledge.

"How many responses would an email written in Thai get from Western companies in the West?"

Well the point is you would get a reply in English asking for a translation.

This request of course, would be ignored.....

Edited by Deeral

"How many responses would an email written in Thai get from Western companies in the West?"

I wouldn't bet on it. There would be no guarantee that your beloved and ballyhoed Western {and ethical reasoning} responses would be any different in that situation. More than likely would be trashed.

Please read the Posts..........AS STATED: The adverts were in English in the English Adverts + on here........ The website were in English and stated English spoken.......... If the adverts + websites were in Thai then emails would have been sent in Thai of course

Please read the Posts..........AS STATED: The adverts were in English in the English Adverts + on here........ The website were in English and stated English spoken.......... If the adverts + websites were in Thai then emails would have been sent in Thai of course

No YOU read the post to which I'm replying.

• Like 1

No YOU read the post to which I'm replying.

?????????????????????????????? I started this post, so what POST are you replying to ?

I admit that I think it is silly to ask for e-mails on your web-site and then ignore them, but it is probably better than wading through all the time-wasting nonsense that you are swamped with otherwise. I have noticed that a lot of companies are starting to remove their e-mail address from their websites (unless they are doing direct sales) and I can not say that I blame them. :bah:

My take on this is similar to Kuhn UG above: Even though I met with the Thai company in person, they -- after the meeting -- seemed to be only interested in working with companies that are larger, more prestigious, or 'higher up the totem pole' than themselves... even though a third party to our potential business sent excellent references and a expression of interest on my behalf...

They kept saying they were waiting for the 'technical people' to get back to the MD but they never did further respond... and I am too old to start pushing water uphill.

I admit that I think it is silly to ask for e-mails on your web-site and then ignore them, but it is probably better than wading through all the time-wasting nonsense that you are swamped with otherwise. I have noticed that a lot of companies are starting to remove their e-mail address from their websites (unless they are doing direct sales) and I can not say that I blame them. :bah:

Web site design and policy is of course in it's infancy in Thailand with many of the smaller companies actually committing huge howlers all over their sites.

one thing I notice on many of the larger sites is an absolute absence of customer feed back or customer service facilities.

Many sites of the big retail companies e.g. central TOT Airlines etc make it virtually impossible for customers to get through to anyone directly except sometimes a call centre that has absolutely no empowerment to deal with any real problems.

the one in the reply box!

post-42643-073762400 1281412620_thumb.jp

This looks different, it is called the 'Cruiser' and is build in the North of Thailand, as you see this was built and sent to a customer in the UK..

The site is in English, [Also a Thai option button.. but they do not reply to a email sent in Thai]

Delivery in Thailand is personal via a pickup truck, full spec of the bike is given, and a REPLY button, or CONTACT US button. both = an email address, if there was a phone number then I would phone them...

Since starting this post a week ago, have now got there phone number + they have The Thai Company have added there address and phone number to there website.. [Thanks to a Thai friend in the North]

+ still no reply to 3 different adverts/services written in English in the Classified section, yet doing a search on Google came up with a Thai Company.. they replied within 2 hours...

It has nothing to do with any Company in the West eg: "How many responses would an email written in Thai get from Western companies in the West?"

or many of the other posts about speaking of learning Thai.... as Thai or English was not the problem, getting a reply was.

f you are a thai company and you have a presence on the net - you can expect to get emails/contacts etc in English - like it or not is is the international language of business.

If you are and English speaking business and your web site is is English you will expect international inquiries to be in English unless you specifically target another language This may seem one-sdied but that's how it works. If others decide to contact you in the native tongue then on their own head be it.

Wow,smart reply.

So all companies around the world have to hire a Thai to do business with Thai a company,

Due to the fact that most Thai companies don't reply to English emails, it would certainly increase the chance for you to be a satisfied customer. And not a bemused foreigner complaining on internet forums, yes.

Edited by thomo

Due to the fact that most Thai companies don't reply to English emails, it would certainly increase the chance for you to be a satisfied customer. And not a bemused foreigner complaining on internet forums, yes.

NO

Both on English Forums and Thai Forum, is appears that 50% of Thai Companies NO NOT reply to emails, so has nothing to do with if a email was sent in English or in Thai.

Myself would have thought that someone advertising in this Forum in English, you would send an email in English ?

If I send an email to a Thai Company then I send in with gmail.com in English, also in Thai with my thai.co,th address..

Just out of interest.. It appears that the way Thais get a reply is if they can get the phone number they call the Thai Company and ask for there Fax number.. Fax = reply ;)

It appears that the way Thais get a reply is if they can get the phone number they call the Thai Company and ask for there Fax number.. Fax = reply ;)

All the more reason to have a Thai to help the communication process. Remember - 'you not Thai, you not understan'.

:jap: