Traveling To Sisaket (Khun Han)

Hollywood13

I will be going to Khun Han (about an hour -?- south of Sisaket) with my girl in November for a few days (likely 4) to meet her family and was hoping somone who lives there can tell me what I should expect. I have read quite a bit about Isaan, but haven't found anything about Khun Han and was wondering if there was anything I should know specifically about that village.

My goal is to retire in Isaan in 7 years (I'll be 45 years old by then). Since I'm relatively young, as is my girl, we would be happy in an area such as Sisaket (where there's more to do), yet close enough to her family in Khun Han that we can visit them occasionally, and vice versa. Sound logical?

I will not retire with less than $700,000. Using that as my base level (I very well may have up to $850,000 prior to retiring), I figured I'll have a budge of roughly 58,000 baht per month.

$700,000 x 30 (exchange rate...I lowered it to help account for inflation) = 21,000,000 baht

21,000,000 baht / 30 years (figuring I'll live until I'm 75) = 700,000 baht per year

700,000 / 12 (months in a year) = 58,333 baht per month

From what I've read here, that amount should allow me to live somewhat comfortably in Isaan. Is that correct? Will it be enough to support me, my girl, one or two babies, and help out her mother and father here and there (she has no brothers and one older sister, who doesn't need assistance)? Now, I know that people will say "It depends on your lifestyle." So, I'll tell you a little about how I want to live.

First of all, I won't be out picking up a bunch of other girls on the side...my girl is more than enough for me. My main non-neccessary expense will be alcohol (I like rum & coke) and eating western food once or twice a week. We'll be taking short vacations (a week here and there) around southeast Asia, but won't be staying in 5-star resorts when we do. Other than that, we'll mainly just be spending time together, enjoying a relaxing life and raising a family (children will most likely attend a private school).

As for living conditions, I served in the military for 12 years, so harsh conditions are nothing new to me. Most recently, I spent a year and a half in Iraq, 4 months in Alaska in the dead of winter, 5 months traveling around the U.S. camping the entire time, and am currently in Afghanistan (no longer in the military...am a private contractor). So, while I would like some western ammenities in my home (air conditioning in bedroom and family room, a modern kitchen, a western-style bath room with 2 sinks, internet, and cable/satalite TV), you won't find me in the largest of houses. It will have 2 (maybe 3) bedrooms, have 1 bathroom (okay, maybe 2), and perhaps some coconut, mango, or other free-bearing trees. Our transportation will be a used but reliable pick-up truck (would do ANYTHING to bring over my Jeep, but that's not possible) and a motorbike.

I'm 99% sure I'll take a teaching course and teach English (either tutor and/or full-time at a school). Not only will this give me something constructive to do, but it will give me beer money...or more correctly, rum & coke money. :-)

I read there's an expat hangout in Sisaket near the police station (?) and I wouldn't mind meeting a few guys there one night so I could pick your brains a little about life in that area. Speaking of which, how's the expat community there? Helpful? Indifferent? Friendly?

Finally, is there an English tutor in Khun Han? I'd like my girl to brush up on her English skills and it would be nice if there was someone who could help with that. Obviously it would be a paying job. If not, should we just got to the school to see if they have an English teacher who could tutor her twice a week?

Thanks for any information you all could provide. While this is my first post, I've read quite a bit of threads on this forum and am impressed with the amount of quality posts, so thank you to those who contribute.

Hi Shivers and welcome to the forum

If you can make it to Srisaket on 30th October, there is a great bike show/concert in town. Me and a number of fellow 'SurinFarangs' will be riding over there & staying the night. Although I live in neighbouring Surin, I have seen quite a few farangs lurking about Srisaket. Some teach English too. A good focal point is Franks place in Town becase he makes great farang grub. If your around on 19th/20th or 21st November, the worlds biggest Elephant round-up is staged here in Surin.

Feel free to PM me, if I can help further.

Edited by Dave the Dude

If you can make it to Srisaket on 30th October, there is a great bike show/concert in town. Me and a number of fellow 'SurinFarangs' will be riding over there & staying the night. Although I live in neighbouring Surin, I have seen quite a few farangs lurking about Srisaket. Some teach English too. A good focal point is Franks place in Town becase he makes great farang grub. If your around on 19th/20th or 21st November, the worlds biggest Elephant round-up is staged here in Surin.

May you shouldt contact Frank his email is [email protected] oe visit his Sisakethomepage www.sisaket.de.tl

In Kun Han you can visit the one million bottle temple and some waterfalls there also some foreigners around( english, american, swedish) not far is Kantaralak with a good farang community (Phantombikers ) and a new pizza shop close to the busstation

I initially wanted to begin my 3-week vacation on October 28th, but unfortunately I was told by my boss I'll likely have to wait until November to take my vacation because of a lot of stuff going on here in October. So, I won't be able to make the Bike Show/Concert. I may be able to make the Elephant Round-Up in Surin depending on what dates my girl and I go to Issan. If so I'll hit you up via PM for location, best way to get there, etc...sounds interesting.

May you shouldt contact Frank his email is [email protected] oe visit his Sisakethomepage www.sisaket.de.tl

In Kun Han you can visit the one million bottle temple and some waterfalls there also some foreigners around( english, american, swedish) not far is Kantaralak with a good farang community (Phantombikers ) and a new pizza shop close to the busstation

Thanks for that link. I clicked on it and although it's in German, I can read a little bit of that (lived in Germany for about 7 years).

I recall reading something about the One Million Bottle Temple and the waterfalls in the area, so those would be nice to see...I like doing the "tourist" thing on occasion.

Overall, I think it's going to be a terrific experience and am looking foward to it. Without having even been to Isaan before, I'm relatively certain I'll love the place and will choose to retire there when the time comes.

Edited by Shivers

Looks as if u have been doing home work, i want to start by saying i have lived here for nearly 6 years and will diee here, my wife is Khmer from Issan and is wonderful. I consider myself to be the luckest man alive, i do love Thailand.

IMHO u are way off, it is possible to live in Thailand on 60 K a month but u will not be happy. I do not believe that would be an adequate amount for u, a wife, children and to help the parents.

A factor i believe most Forangs overlook is : An Issan woman marries to improve her live as most women the world over do, u must factor in for her. Land in the form of rice paddies will not make a profit but women desire it for security. Gold is extermely important in the Khmer culture. nice clothing is as important to most as well only many can not afford it.

All too often if the girl can not obtain what she wants from her Forang husband she will find it in another house. the villages are all having empty homes where a Forang lived.

Life in the boondocks has been great for me. it is not my intention to say do not live here, i really is much less expensive than the States but it is still expensive than most realize.

Good Luck and enjoy your life.

In Kun Han you can visit the one million bottle temple and some waterfalls

I'll also recommend the traditional massage at the hospital. They have a large building across the road from the main hospital just for massage.

If you're into fitness, the open air gym in the roundabout public park has some unique exercise machines. B)

I don't understand your maths.

If you have 21 million baht and invest it at 5% you will have 87,500 baht a month just in interest alone. For $700,000 you really should be getting higher then 5%, more like 7.5% which is 131,250 baht per month. This is without touching the capital at all. If you decide you want to dig into your savings as you nearer then end of your life then of course you will have difficulty spending it all!

My thoughts are that 58,000 baht is nowhere near enough per month but if my maths are correct then this wont be a problem.

After initial 'set up' costs (house/truck/business) and ensuring my wife is self sufficient, I'd just like to add that I live happily on a lot less than that.

Our expectations and needs are all different, of course.

As he may learn in time.;)

Thank you for the responses.

MeMock...When I did the math, I did not include interest I may earn on the $700k. For one, with the world's economy in its current state, who's to say what interest rates will be 7 years from now? Plus, when you account for inflation, who's to say what $700k will buy you then as opposed to what it will buy you now? I don't want to have to rely on "maybes" and "ifs". Yes, I'll likely have way more than 60k baht per month to live on...but I don't want to be overconfident, so I calculated the bottom of the barrel amount. I would like to teach to give me a constructive way to spend my time, so that will be some extra cash as well (although I understand it will not be much).

Dave the Dude...I'd rather my future wife not work. We want to have kids and I'm fine with her staying home to raise them (a much more valuable job to me rather than her working in an office somewhere for what would amount to very little money). She knows this and wants the same thing. If, when our children are at the age where they no longer need 24/7 supervision and my wife decides she would like to work (to give her a way to spend her time, or to earn extra money, or whatever), that's fine by me...up to her.

ronthompson...As for keeping my future wife happy, I don't think that will be an issue. I live simply because I'm used to it. While she has lived a simple life due to her background, I know there are certain material items she would like, and I have no issues with spoiling her (although doing so doesn't seem take much). Hmmm...when I think about it, in my eyes, she actually spoils me WAY more than I spoil her. :-)

Many Thai girls think all farangs are wealthy beyond comprehension and all that does is cause trouble down the road for some (not all) culture-mixed marriages. I think honesty and directness has been a good way for me to keep that line of thought in check. I've told her I don't need material goods to make me happy and she understands this. In addition, I've told her I have no issue providing her with material goods she wants. But, she knows she won't live like the Queen of Thailand (a truck, not a BMW...a house, not a mansion...some land, not an estate...etc). Explaining to her the type of life we can have together and her accepting this, I'm sure will keep her expectations reasonable and thus, make for a happy girl (especially when I lavish her with occasional gifts).

Farma...I'm not sure about the "traditional massage" thing. I went into a very nice health club once for a Thai massage. Once in the massage room, in walked this tiny girl who was maybe 5 feet tall and all of about 90 pounds. I thought, how is she going to give me a massage? An hour later I left and was sore all over...she really tortured me...twisted me up like a pretzel and sent me walking very slowly to the car when all was said and done. For whatever reason, my girlfriend thought this was funny. From now on, I'll be seeking out the relaxing oil massages that you can fall asleep during without worrying if the massage girl is going to pop a joint out of place. :-)

For those of you who are from the U.S. and are married to a Thai girl, I have a question...

Can I claim a Thai wife as a dependent (on my taxes) without having to get married to her in the States? In other words, would the U.S. recognize a Thai wedding or would we have to travel to the U.S. and get married there for me to claim her as a dependent?

Just heard from my boss that not only can I not take a vacation in October, but I can't take one in November either. Not wanting to wait until December (my girl would kill me if I didn't go back before then), we're currently working it out so I can go in September. If so, I'll be in Thailand for 21 days and in Isaan for 4 of those...maybe 5. I'd like to stay in the NW a bit longer, but have other chores needing to be done, which are easier accomplished in a larger city (dentist, open bank account, etc).

Once I get to Thailand, I'll post up the dates I'll be in Sisaket and if anyone would like to meet up at Franks for some farang food and a few cold ones, that'd be great.

Khun Han is very 'local' for shopping and eateries. You need to drive 30km for the nearest Tesco. Sisaket is the nearest for western eateries. But you will find everything you need as far a local products and eateries go extremely cheaply.

There is a nice newish motel behind the Krung Thai Bank branch if you do not want to sleep it rough.

There are a few great spots south of Khun Han where you can relax in the woods near water falls.

Local folks in the villages around Khun Han are mostly farmers and live very basic lives but they are the most hospitable people on earth

Khun Han is very 'local' for shopping and eateries. You need to drive 30km for the nearest Tesco. Sisaket is the nearest for western eateries. But you will find everything you need as far a local products and eateries go extremely cheaply.

There is a nice newish motel behind the Krung Thai Bank branch if you do not want to sleep it rough.

There are a few great spots south of Khun Han where you can relax in the woods near water falls.

Local folks in the villages around Khun Han are mostly farmers and live very basic lives but they are the most hospitable people on earth

Thank you for the information. Sounds like a pleasant place. I mentioned the waterfalls to her and she said she'll take me there, so I'm looking forward to that.

The motel you mentioned behind the bank...is that in Khun Han? Would it be degrading for my girl and I to visit her parents and sleep at a hotel? I don't want them to think their home isn't good enough for me to stay in while we're there. Follow? Besides, I sleep in a tent on a cot here in Afghansitan, so I think "roughing it" in Isaan for a few days is hardly going to be an issue.

Also, what gifts would be appropriate for her mother and father? I've heard people say to bring whisky, but I'd rather not use alcohol as a present. To be honest, I'm pretty nervous about meeting her family. Although, she assures me that her parents will like me because she likes me...if that makes any sense.

My wife grew up in Southern Sisaket as well.

1. I agree with Memock. You should EASILY be able to get at least 5% interest at relatively low risk and live off the interest. Don't buy in to the doom & gloom news reports about a bad economy. As soon as we vote all these clowns out of office that are throwing away our hard earned tax money to the wind, things will get much better but that's an issue for a different forum. Hire yourself a respectable financial adviser in the U.S. so you don't even have to think about it. Try this.

2. I know Thais who live on less than 8,000 baht/month if you really want to rough it. Water bills are dirt cheap. Electric bills are similar. Food is ridiculously cheap; especially if your girlfriend likes to cook. The amount you need per month of course largely depends on what lifestyle you want. We're pretty simple by western standards and don't need anywhere close to the money you're talking about per month.

3. Your pickup will be significantly more expensive than you think. This is the best web site for getting an idea of how much you can expect to pay for vehicles. This web site isn't too bad either.

4. Internet is very cheap. I'm not sure you'll have access where you live or not, but 3BB has been the best for us and most people around Thailand. Way cheaper than where we lived in the U.S.

5. Do you like TV? True prices can be found here.

6 Don't get a hotel. Stay with family and learn about your girlfriend's life. She and her family will appreciate it. My wife's family often talks about how other foreigners that marry into the village always get a hotel and never spend time with family. They come in, do their "family visiting duty" and then get out as fast as possible.

7. Who told you to bring whiskey as a gift? Stupid idea. Bring anything you have from the U.S. Thais always bring gifts back to friends/family from wherever they were visiting. That's why you see so many "gift food" stores all over Thailand and in the airports. Watch the people that board the plane when you come out here and you'll see many people are carrying plastic sacks of food to give to family. Your girlfriend will know exactly what to buy when it comes to food. I gave some baseball caps from my home state to the guys in the family and they've been worn to shreds. We often give women in the family lotion from places like Bath & Body Works (in every mall in the U.S.) and it's a huge hit. Good smelling, reasonably priced lotion for women is hard to find; or so I'm told. :) Just a couple ideas.

8. I'm not sure on your tax question, but I'll tell you this. In hindsight it would have been WAY easier to get married in Thailand and then have it legalized for use in the U.S. Getting our U.S. marriage license legalized in Thailand was a real pain. That was a couple years ago. Things could have changed. Paperwork is generally easier on the U.S. side and that I am 110% sure on.

9. Have you considered living in Ubon? You want to live close to family, but not too close. ;-)

10. Last but not least; even after you learn Thai you still won't understand what language everyone is speaking in her village because it's probably Khmer. I haven't bothered trying to learn more than a few Khmer words. Everyone is able to speak Thai anyway

Edited by ubonrthai
  • Like 1

Thanks for your detailed reply ubonrthai! I'll respond to you using your same number system...works easier. :)

1. I'll certainly ensure I'm "set for life" prior to deciding to retiring. A financial advisor is a good way to ensure I am prepared for retirement and I'll take that advice. While I'd like to retire at 45 years of age, if it takes me an extra year or two, so be it. Better safe than sorry. Thanks for the link on finding an ELP...makes it too easy NOT to do it.

2. True, I could live quite simply, but I don't think that's what my girlfriend wants. I'll keep her in check so that she doesn't get completely and utterly spoiled, but she'll have it easy compared with the majority of Thais...especially those in Isaan. With electricity, water, and food all being cheap, I should be fine. As for my girl cooking...I don't quite know yet...but I can tell you that she LOVES to eat! Good Lord that girl can put away some food...and she's tiny...not sure where she's putting it all. We joke that she's pregnant and have named our baby "Kevin." So, after she eats she says "Kevin happy." Or if she is hungry she says "Kevin wants eat." It's quite humorous and cracks me up just thinking about it. :D

3. The vehicle links were interesting. Seems to be quite a bit of money (some were half the price of a decent home), but it looks as though a good deal can be found here and there.

4. I consider the internet to be a neccessity...don't see how I could live without it. Glad to hear it's cheap. :)

5. I haven't owned a TV in about 4 years...just don't have much interest in it other than sporting events (which I would then go to a sports bar to watch). But, I'm sure we'll have a TV with cable and/or satalite (along with a sport package) when the time comes.

6. My girl's parent's home can't be any worse that some of the places I've lived before. Even if it's a bit rough, I'm sure I can handle it for a few days and am looking forward to the experience. I like to test endurance sometimes...this will be a good (and fun) way to do so. I will take a few things with me to make life easier...wet wipes, mosquito netting, mosquito spray, a small travel pillow, and some western poggie bait to snack on if I get hungry.

7. Hmmm...whiskey as a gift...don't recall who told me...read it somewhere (and it was more than once). Maybe they were referring to bringing alcohol with you because there's nowhere to buy it out there? Either way, I didn't think that would be an appropriate gift, so I dismissed the idea. I like your idea about bringing something they can't get (or whouldn't buy for themselves) in Thailand. I do the same thing when I travel around the world...always get my family birthday and Christmas gifts from other countries. Unfortunately, I'm in Afghanistan, so there's not a lot to choose from. I'll get with my girl, find out how many males and females of her family I'll likely meet when we visit her parents, and perhaps I can get t-shirts and/or hats from the military base here for the males, and pick up something for the females while passing through Dubai.

8. I've learned once I notify my embassy of the marriage, I can claim my wife as a dependent. I had initially never intended on doing this, and to only be "married" in Thailand, but it would be an incredible tax break for me, so why not? I'm going to check with the embassy for some more information about this, just so I'll have all the facts beforehand (ie: if I divorce, do I then have to divorce in 2 countries...and if that happens, is she entitled to half of my U.S. income...etc). I'm not thinking the marriage won't work, but I'm not naive enough to go into something as important as this prior to looking at all the facts...would be irresponsible of me.

9. Thus far, we haven't decided where we'll live. I'll likely get married and have at least one child prior to me living there permanently, so she will live with her family until I retire...they can help her with the baby, etc. About 2 years before I retire, we'll decide where to live so I can start looking for homes during my vacations (four 3-week vacations per year). It will likely be near a semi-large city such as Ubon, Sisaket, etc). Where it won't be is Pattaya, Bangkok, etc...way too many people and way too expensive. Plus, I want her to be able to see her family without having to jump through hoops to do so (and without the family just walking next door to see us).

10. I'm certain I'll be clueless for quite some time when it comes to the language. I'm currently, slowly, working my way through the Thai alphabet. I want to eventually learn the language, but I am aware a different one is spoken in Isaan. My girl speaks Thai, Khmer (Cambodian?), and Loation (Laos)...all fluently. Just have to improve her English and my Thai and we're all set. :)

Thanks again for all the tips!

I've been staying in Sisaket on and off for a year and I love it here I think its perfect its not to big and not to small.

Got Pizza Company, KFC, Big C and Tesco and of cause a ton of 7-11s I can get most I need from back home. I am about your age and if you can get a teaching job or something else to do it would probably be a good idea, there isn't to much to do in Sisaket.

Going to Franks is a good idea he is a friendly guy and will be more than happy to share his knowledge of Sisaket and have helped me out more than a couple of time. I have found most foreigners here nice enough.

A while ago someone posted a map of Sisaket here and it were very helpful for me in the beginning, Franks is at G,1

post-74672-085777400 1281162405_thumb.jp

You can also download it HERE

Edited by spacemand

Wow...excellent map! Thank you for re-posting that here.

In other news, I found out from my boss today that I can't take my vacation next month either. So...in the past few days...my vacation plans have gone from October, to November, to September, to now I don't know when and won't find out for a few more weeks. What can I say...it's Afghanistan...just have to roll with the punches. Of course, my girl is going to be a bit livid when I tell her, but oh well. Maybe I can get some time off in December.

For what it is worth I was told for a US tax deduction a social security number is required. My wife has no desire to travel to the States and i am very happy here.

If u discover a tax deduction is possible please let me know.

Once again all the best with your plans.

I heard the same thing...well, either a SSN or a Tax ID number. While I have no desire to ever live in the U.S. again (nor does my girl), I will continue to work contract jobs in war zones for as long as possible, so it will be worth it to be able to claim her as a dependent.

Obviously I'll have to register the marriage with the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok. The issue that brings up is, should we divorce, is she entitled to half the funds I'll keep in the U.S.? That's something else I'll have to look into. If that's the case, a pre-nup will be in order. Not that I think we'll ever divorce, but better to be safe than sorry, if you know what I mean. :)

I'll let you know what I find out.

Edited by Shivers

I have lived in the next town over called Khu Khan for 5 years now.I spend about 6 months at sea and 6 months at home and enjoy living out in Issan. Khu Han is a nice quiet little farm town. They have a nice private swimming pool that we take all the kids to. When you get married and it has to be an offical one at the Amphur office. Take the certificate and get it translated. I do not remember what IRS form it was (my tax guy got it for me). You will need to have your wife sign the IRS form also. Send the IRS form, copy of your marrage certificat and the translation. And you will get a Taxpayer Id Number. Don't know anything about divorces have not done that one. Enjoy your stay in Issan when you make it out here. Honolulu Dave

I've been living in Khun Han with my Thai wife for just over 1 year. I think it's a great place although my Pattaya mates would disagree. Sure it's very quiet and you have to make your own entertainment but I've rebuilt her house to make it more liveable and now have satellite TV and ADSL Internet. The people in this part of Thailand are just wonderful. They are very friendly and hospitable. It is very important to learn Thai ASAP but it is sometimes difficult as most people speak Laos to each other and I find it confusing. My wife had lessons English lessons from a retired schoolteacher in Khun Han and there are a few other options available. Regarding your income, we live comfortably on less than 20,000thb a month and that includes food for our family of 5, electricity, Internet and telephone as well as fuel for our motorbikes and my diesel pickup. I would be happy to give you some more info at any time and you can contact me on [email protected].

honoluludave...thanks for that tax information. I will contact my CPA and see if he can provide me with the proper form. Since I don't plan on marrying until around this time next year, I should have enough time to get everything I need.

gemini101...sounds like a nice area...and CHEAP! My girl has mentioned to me that she wouldn't mind living in the States, but I honestly think she'd get homesick for Thailand after a little while. I'm going to take her to the States so she can meet my family and see where I grew up (Florida), but we'll settle in Thailand. One thing she mentioned is she doesn't want is to live in her village (says she would prefer to stay there until I move to Thailand permanently, but doesn't want for us to live there together...says she thinks I wouldn't like that). So, we'll check out Sisaket and a few other larger cities. I might even look into the NW area of Thailand. They have a college up in Chang Mai where you can study Thai for 1 year, which I would like to do.

If anyone here has pictures of Khun Han (the roads, the typical houses, the fields, etc), that would be a HUGE help in preparing me for what to expect. THANKS! :D