If You'Re Listening To Music Now... Whats Playing? 4

Jockstar

6 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

Bert Jansch - High Days [2006]

I'm a big fan of Bert and the Pentangle and I mentioned his death in 2011 in the bedlam forum then but no one knew who he was...

I particularly liked 'A woman like you'

nice open tuning that I learned to play...very modal....good to listen to on acid... 

wild sex in the morning then remain naked the rest of the day so's not to fool with clothing when the mood struck a dozen times later...can't believe I'm gonna be 67 y.o....

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 2

Whoa, lots of great tunes.  I'm an old young man, or a young old man, depending on your perspective.  I've been blessed to have come of age during the British invasion of the U.S. (not the one in 1776).  Since I've lived in Thailand by the turn of the century I've sort of fell out of the current music scene.  You won't find any progressive radio stations here (at least not that I'm aware of).  So, I play the music that I've grown up with . . . 60's through 90's (50's rock and old blues artists stretching way back, too).  My kid came out to work with me a few years back and while he appreciates older music and classical rock he's part of a newer generation.  He wants to hear current music, too.  O.K.  So we decided to put together a playlist scoured from YouTube for new music from indies, unknowns, one-offs, and from round the world.  I must admit I was shocked at how much truly awesome current (or pretty current) music is out there.

Granted, I haven't delved into the music scene for quite awhile so while much of this is completely new to me some of what I'll post may be quite familiar to others.  Bands or artists which I may consider relative unknowns may be quite popular amongst later generations.  Then again I can be certain that some of our playlist will most definitely be unique and unheard of.  Some songs will be from established bands from times ago but it's very difficult for me to exclude some of the dear tunes that, in my opinion, are simply timeless.

As I approach the sunset of my life (hey, I ain't that close yet) I often consider what I might be able to take with me from this quaint little 3-dimensional paradise to the next.  Music!!  The sounds of music that have vibrated through my corporeal self will with no doubt continue to reverberate through me when I may be a bit more ethereal in consistency.  Why, the good lord could not even take that from me (not that he'd want to I imagine).

I strive for quality, uniqueness, a very wide range of genres, and artists from many different parts of the world in my selections but at times collect tunes which, while not immediate "grabbers," are very listenable and fit well within a playlist.  So, my apologies for my verboseness and allow me to introduce, with speakers full on high (comments appreciated) . . . 

An Icelandic blues/rock band that formed at Mosfellsbær in 2012.

Stéphanie Sokolinski (born 26 October 1985),[5] better known by her stage name Soko (stylized as SoKo), is a French singer-songwriter, musician and actress.  Active since 2002.

• Like 2

The Naked and Famous are an indie electronic band from Auckland, New Zealand, formed in 2007.  BTW, the vocalist, Xayalith, is the daughter of Laotian refugees, who was born in Auckland in '86.

The Underground Youth is a British post punk, psychedelic,  shoegaze band out of Manchester/Berlin formed in 2008.  Quite a talented trio.  If you like this tune they have many more quality songs.  (And remember, volume up, up, up (with consideration for the neighbors).)

This was a great find, in my humble opinion.  Awesome guitar jamming mid-way thru!!  Omara "Bombino" Moctar is an internationally acclaimed Tuareg guitarist and singer-songwriter from Agadez, Niger.  Active since 1997.

Love raggae?  I do, I do!!  This is a beautiful little tune.  Mishka (born Alexander Mishka Frith, 1974) is a reggae musician from Bermuda. He released his first self-titled album Mishka in 1999 and had a hit single in the UK with "Give You All The Love".

• Like 1

Bro and sis Angus and Julia Stone make up the Australian folk singer-songwriter duo of Dope Lemon.  Active from 2005.  Great music!!  Much more to check out from them if you like.  Fuk the neighbors on this one . . . play LOUD!!

Matthew Houck is the founder of Phosperescent, originally from Huntsville, Alabama.  Active since 2001.  Again, play LOUD!

One more hauntingly beautiful song from Phosperescent.  Beautiful vid of Chinook sled dogs from the 40's.

• Like 1