Gay Movies

We've been having a bit of fun in another part of Thaivisa, posting on different types of movies.

I thought we could continue here, if its OK with the mods, switching to Gay movies.

What are your favorite Gay movies?

I'll start with two I have seen:

The remake of the Italian/French film "La Cage aux Folles" with Robin Williams, Gene Hackman and Nathen Lane - The Bircage(1996) which was brilliant, IMHO.

Boys in the Band(1970) which was hilarious, also IMHO.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest endure

Blimey! How long have you got? :D

Happy Together - Tony Leung & Leslie Cheung

Beautiful Thing - Scott Neal & Glen Berry

Broken Hearts Club - Dean Cain (yum!) and others

Lan Yu

East Palace West Palace

Latter Days - Steven Sandvoss, Joe Gordon-Levitt et al.

The Talented Mister Ripley with the lovely lovely Matt Damon :o

Most Emmanuelle movies have great lesbian scenes. The best ones for gay scenes are Emmanuelles 1 and 2 and Black Emmanuelle (starring Laura Gemser).

David Hamilton's films - Bilitis, Summer in St Tropez, ...lots of girls in nud_e budding adolescence - finding that love can be found femme 2 femme.

Believe it or not , lesbians are gay too !

Guest endure
Most Emmanuelle movies have great lesbian scenes. The best ones for gay scenes are Emmanuelles 1 and 2 and Black Emmanuelle (starring Laura Gemser).

David Hamilton's films - Bilitis, Summer in St Tropez, ...lots of girls in nud_e budding adolescence - finding that love can be found femme 2 femme.

Believe it or not , lesbians are gay too !

No - lesbians are not gay - they're lesbians. That's what they keep telling us.

yes, you're right Endure. Gay films...ok

'Naked Civil Servant'

'Interview With the Vampire'

Agree about Birdcage -..... 'Agador Spartacus'

I recall sitting in the Tate Gallery watching David Hockney's 'A Bigger Splash'. During one of the buggery scenes, an old East End lady sitting in the rear chirped up....

"Ere, I thought this was supposed to be about paintin' "

Edited by The_Moog

Here are a few of my picks:

-- Gods and Monsters

-- Food of Love

-- Maurice (Merchant Ivory)

-- My Own Private Idaho

-- Wilde: Jude Law is almost as beautiful as Lord Alfred Douglas was, if you like that type...

-- a really good documentary on gay themes in cinema: The Celluloid Closet

-- and I recently saw a really good low-budget movie made exclusively for SHOWTIME in the US, that probably will not get released on DVD, which is a pity since it was very good: Mudge Boy. Worth searching out.

Some Asian gay films that I've liked include:

Japanese:

Okoge (1992, about the romantic tension between a fag-hag and the gay man she's obsessed with) The version I've seen had English subtitles.

Gohatto (a recent samurai drama with a twist- it celebrates the same-sex interest which historically did often develop between samurai and their squires and was honored in society and in the literature of the pre-Edo eras) Don't know if it's available in English.

Dousoukai (a TV drama from the mid-90s; its first 6-7 episodes are a fairly realistic depiction of the complicated private lives of various straight, bi-, and gay characters as they interact in contemporary Tokyo; includes one of the members of the Tokyu band (before he bloated up) and one of the most accurately bleak depictions of gay bars in Japan.) Don't know if it's available in English.

There's another very realistic and sad movie in which two young Japanese guys who are both working as moneyboys (and are not aware of this about each other) slowly go through the romantic motions with each other- only suddenly to meet in the hotel room of a middle-aged office worker who has hired them both to have sex with each other. But I don't remember the name of this one and I don't know if it's available in English.

The Black Lizard (Mishima adapted a very silly 60s James Bond style thriller set in Japan which was VERY camp and strange. It included a cameo of him as a nearly nud_e standing body (this was in his muscle phase, somewhere between his queer stage and his conservative-military-married-seppuku stage). Worth seeing if you have a chance; nice Bach selections in the soundtrack.) The version I saw had English subtitles.

From the Philippines, I don't think there are many gay movies easy to find, but one that everybody interested in gay Asia should probably see is:

Midnight Dancer (a realistic, ultimately depressing film about the lives of 3 brothers who work together as dancers in a gogo bar to help support their mother and other family members. Viewed in one way, this is a story about the whole bar scene from the bar worker's point of view- and no, you don't see that many foreigners in it. There's even one rich hi-so Filipino who works out an "arrangement" with one of the brothers who is also married (and whose wife is respectful and deferential towards him).) The version I saw had subtitles.

Chinese films have been interesting for awhile, including recently screened Seventeen (about *gasp*, *shock*, *horror*, a 17-yo young man looking to find his first boyfriend and get laid), and the above-mentioned Happy Together. A bit further back and you get Farewell, My Concubine, which is kind of a gay film, and The Wedding Banquet, which is kind of Chinese.

But what about

Thailand?

I mean, I've seen those silly volleyball films and the one about the boxer.

But are there any films in Thai gay cinema which have gay characters who HAVE boyfriends (and even appear on the screen with them), who DON'T want to become transsexuals or transvestites, and who possibly even work in normal jobs?

One example is Tropical Malady, which I found to be an excellent and realistic film during the first half. I just don't think the surreal and unconvincing mythic "conclusion" fit in with it.

Any *other* gay Thai movies?

Edited by Ijustwannateach

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think there can be no doubt that BEAUTIFUL THING is the most wonderful and sensual movie..... though "Private Idaho" is not bad too..... and there was a HongKong movie some years ago, very good and sensual too.... but forgot the name.... 2 chinese guys fighting the hassle and bassle of HK......

la Cage aux Folles ? you guys must be kidding....that was TRASH :o

Just my two pennies worth here, the American remake of La Cage Aux Folles was utter CRAP and that's putting it mildly!  :o

The French version was excellent and hilarious too!  :D

Yes, the french version was so funny, the re-make was barely worth the cost of the electricity to watch.

Speaking of Thai movies, iron ladies was good fun, but there are also some good lesbian movies for sake on Sukhumvit - so people say, but sadly not much character development.

ok maybe movies i ment are not the best , but i like

The  crying  game

ma vie en rose

to wong foo

white  chicks

philadelphia

bird cage

iron lady (thai)

prang chom poo (the  saving private tootsie)

tootsie

2_to_wong_foo.gif

Edited by BambinA

1) Maurice - because I wanted to shag the gardener !

2) The Pillow Book - because you see a lot of Ewan McGregors penis and I want to shag him.

3) Total Eclipse - because you see Leonardo Dicaprio do gay stuff and I want to shag him.

:o Definate them to my favs !

1) Maurice - because I wanted to shag the gardener !

2) The Pillow Book - because you see a lot of Ewan McGregors penis and I want to shag him.

3) Total Eclipse - because you see Leonardo Dicaprio do gay stuff and I want to shag him.

:o Definate theme to my favs !

Edited by Deadcert

• 2 weeks later...

Ang Lee's gay cowboy film Brokeback Mountain has won the coveted Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival.

The film is adapted from a story by E Annie Proulx and stars Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger as love-struck cowboys who have a 20-year affair.

Lee beat off competition from 18 other films, such as George Clooney's favoured Good Night, and Good Luck.

Lee, maker of Oscar-winner Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon has won a global reputation as an eclectic film-maker.

The Taiwanese director's other films include the comic book blockbuster The Hulk, released last year, and Sense and Sensibility, an adaptation of the classic Jane Austen novel

BBC News

Ang Lee also made a terrific movie Wedding Banquet:

"Simon and Wei-Tung are a gay couple living together in Manhattan. To defer the suspicions of Wei-Tung's parents, Simon suggests a marriage of convenience between Wei-Tung and Wei-Wei, an immigrant in need of a green card. When Wei-Tung's parents come to America for the wedding, they insist upon an elaborate banquet, resulting in several complications".

very funny and charming.

Edited by wowpow