Gay Movies

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What and where are House and Apex. Please, I wanna know. Thanks

Hi popshirt,

Apex comsists of several cinema theaters, namely Lido, Scala, and Siam, in the heart of Bangkok shopping district Siam Square, opposite the giant Siam Paragon. What I like about it is varieties of art/independent/foreign films they show, usually the non-blockbuster types, but occasionally big Hollywood movies like Narnia or Superman. What even better is that the ticket is cheaper than those that are inside mega-mall theaters (by around B20), and the theaters (seating, aircon, etc.) are not too bad, albeit a little older though. And it is just right off BTS Siam Center station.

Here is their web site, and a map of the area:

http://www.apexsiam-square.com/

http://www.travelfish.org/map_detail/thail...to_phloenchit/4

House @RCA is the Bangkok true answer to indy or art house film theater. I love love this theater, although I don't get to go there as often as I would like. It's like a boutique theater hidden away somewhere, with very comfortable leather seatings, and a cafe with relaxing, comfy atmostphere. There are a few unfortunate things about this place though. It is not right on the BTS or MRT route. You either have to drive, call a cab, or ride a public bus (and walk a bit further) to get there. Once arriving, it is a bit tricky to find, since there is another theater, UMG, in the same building complex. Don't get confused with this one because UMG usually shows regular Hollywood movies. House is on the third floor, right off the escalator on your right behind giant twin wooden doors, without the appearance of ordinary movie theaters.

Once you manage to find it, you'll be delighted to find out that ticket price is cheaper here, too! Although I heard that sometimes they show movie in DVD format (I don't exactly know the difference since films are shown on the screen like other theaters). Perhaps, it means some of these films have been released in original countries for quite some time, and DVDs have already been released, but have no chance of getting to show in regular Thailand theaters?

Also, here is their web site (and the map):

http://www.houserama.com/#

By the way, the last movie I saw @House is Cut Sleeve Boys, which is very hilarious (including some eye candies)!! Of course, it's not going to win an Oscar or anything but I love it! It's been a while I get to see a film in this genre.

Guest endure

Talking of movies (well, TV programmes actually) has anyone ever found a DVD version of the Taiwanese TV series 'Crystal Boys' with English subs?

I liked "Parting Glances". I know it's a bit dated and all from the 80s/90s, but it stayed with me. I also liked this obscure, faux, gothic drama about a lesbian vampire: "Because the Dawn".

edit: Has anyone ever seen "Orlando" with Tilda Swinton? It's not gay per se, but it is so gay if you know what I mean. It's based on Virgina Woolf's novel, and Quentin Crisp plays Queen Elizabeth I. It is one of my favorite movies of all time. It's really well done and if you find it in BKK you should see it.

Orlando was awsome. I love the way that film looked, the lighting everything. It has been a long time since I have seen it, but it stayed with me.

I want to see it again, now. :o

No one has mentioned,

Deathtrap

Starring Michael Caine and Christopher Reeves (apparently trying to prove he could act without a wire or blue tights), co-conspirators in a plot to murder Michael Caine's well-heeled wife, and perhaps write an SRO play about the crime. Or how about,

Flawless

Phillip Seymour Hoffman stars as a drag queen giving singing lessons as therapy to recent stroke victim (and life-long homophobe) Robert DeNiro, both tenants in a run-down long-term hotel. It was panned by the critics, but I thought both actors gave excellent performances. At one point, just when it seems the two characters have achieved an understanding bordering on friendship, DeNiro's character lashes out at Hoffman, accusing him of dishonesty. Hoffman retaliates,

"Honesty? You want Honesty!? You wanted singing lessons from someone you felt was so far beneath you, you wouldn't be ashamed to be crippled in front of them!"

I liked the ending too, but don't want to give it away, in case you want to see the film yourself.

:o

Any one ever seen If These Walls Could Talk?

I was going to mention "If These Walls Could Talk" which was a series several years ago on Showtime in the USA. It was primarily about Lesbians and featured a lot of big name stars who really seemed to enjoy their liplocks with other big name actresses. :o It was running at the same time as "Queer as Folk" was on. Of all the movies and television shows that I have seen with gay themes, at least "If These Walls Could Talk" and "Queer as Folk" had realistic scripts, were well acted and had high production values.

Virtually every gay-themed movie that I have seen in my lifetime always has a central theme that if you are gay, you will be unhappy and bad things will eventually happen to you. Even "Brokeback Mountain" stayed with this theme.

And while "Brokeback Mountain" was highly acclaimed and earned my "five-hankie" award, I still think "Midnight Cowboy" with Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voight was better.

Just my two cents worth....

Just A Question of Love...moving French coming-out drama, with English sub-titles.

Saw it on DVD yesterday, so someone in this household bought it recently, probably in Silom.

Reminded me of another French story which I saw many years ago (with no gay theme), called Diva.

Just A Question Of Love is so good I didn't want it to end.

http://picturethisent.com/titles/justaques...love/index.html

'Complex and beautifully acted, it seems that each and every member of this fantastic cast was made to play the role they were given. So much more than a coming-out story, Just a Question of Love is a tale of passion, friendship, emotions and family in the perfect combination; poetry in film. A+.'

Jason Salzenstein, EDGE Boston

Edited by craftwork

'A Bigger Splash' - auteured by David Hockney. Many thingies in that.

I watched it at a Tate Gallery screening about 20 years ago. During one frenetic bumming scene, I heard one old lady croak from the back...

"Ere I thought this was supposed to be about painting pictures"

Wow, what a very long thread. Excellent!

For what it's worth (and all IMHO of course):

• The best ~ and quirkiest ~ gay movie of all (no question in my mind): Happy Together
  • Two terrific Stephen Frears films (from his "'Funny Woody Allen'" period, i.e. when he was young): 'My Beautiful Launderette' and 'Prick up Your Ears'
  • 'Longtime Companion' because it's so powerful ... still
  • 'Beautiful Thing' is earthy/quirky/British and because the secondary characters are equally as interesting as the two guys. Young love ... I do remember. If you weren't totally charmed by this little gem you're dead from the neck up.
  • 'Brokeback Mountain' because when I watched it a second time I enjoyed it much more and found more things within. Still can't see the attraction of the Heath Ledger character ~ too morose for me by a thousand miles ... but let's face it, the Handsome One was horny. Say no more!
  • 'Doing Time on Maple Drive' is an American made-for-TV movie about coming out to one's parents and one's self. Going in I expected it was going to be treakly trash, but in fact it was quite sublime. The young gay guy gave a tremendously nuanced and vulnerable performance (without becoming a cliche), and the mother and (especially) the father were perfect. A very young Jim Carey played the straight brother in this one ... without the comedy and plasticine face.
    Added after thinking a bit more:
  • 'Maurice'
  • 'My Own Private Idaho'
  • 'The Wedding Banquet' Interestingly enough, one of the first movies by Ang Lee, the director of BrokeBack Mountain a dozen years or so later. Weddng Banquet is the better film!

Edited by nongkhai

gay movies = camp classics, no?

valley of the dolls, and my favourite : SHOWGIRLS

fave showgirls line: "you take the cash, you cash the cheque, you show them what they wanna see" uttered by gina gershon's character, crystal connors.

i tend to avoid gay GAY movies like the plague cos of the cliches:

1. some guy who is hiv positive

2. a sassy smartmouth who is actually hiding MUCH pain.

3. the camp queen who loves musicals and joan crawford movies.

4. an ethnic person ie, african american or latino

5. the closeted one who is nice and level headed/ artsy

6. and usually somebody DIES.

7. lots of heartbreak and chest beating about love lost and all that crap.

8. and if its a low budget production: lots of lingering torso shots. ick.

9. angsty ANGSTY gay guys

10. drugs. lots of it. ahhh memories...(hahahah!)

and i hate hate HATE brokeback mountain. ugh. a total waste of 2 hours. the endings a sentimental piece of twaddle that made me puke last nites dom perignon into my bone china spitoon.

honestly, brokeback moutain is my very first gay movie i have seen. impress? hmm...i don't feel like i'm gay after watch that movie ( just kidding) yes...movie show a good point of living behind the door. i like that part. i grew up just like that but not cowboy (born in farmer family so...familia)

i like watching normal movie (my favorite: never been kissed, pretty woman (of course) etc.

I've been watching several Tin Tin Dvds lately, and i've noticed that there are ZERO female characters in them.

Yesterday Tin Tin was in Tibet going to find Tchang, an teenage, loose limbed Asian androgyne who'd been captured by a big hairy ape who appeared to be infatuated with him and was keeping him on a bed of juniper twigs in his cave.........<the Yeti was the captor, not ...."I just want to Teach">

I could make similar comments about 'Mission to the Moon' in which even the beds in the rocket contort the boys into positions presenting their bottoms in rear entry mode. And many many more examples.

Read between the lines, people.

I've been watching several Tin Tin Dvds lately, and i've noticed that there are ZERO female characters in them.

Yesterday Tin Tin was in Tibet going to find Tchang, an teenage, loose limbed Asian androgyne who'd been captured by a big hairy ape who appeared to be infatuated with him and was keeping him on a bed of juniper twigs in his cave.........<the Yeti was the captor, not ...."I just want to Teach">

I could make similar comments about 'Mission to the Moon' in which even the beds in the rocket contort the boys into positions presenting their bottoms in rear entry mode. And many many more examples.

Read between the lines, people.

ive read all of tintin comics...and there are rather well....queer moments in them pages. but perhaps we are reading too much between the lines.

for example: the close relationship between tintin and the old sailor: captain haddock "blistering barnacles!" and old deaf professor calculus who, in the 7 crystal balls, put on the mummys bracelet and said that it looked well with his coat!

tintin..nobody knows how old he is but he has that gay partyboy quiff in his hair..used to sport one just like that last year! short all over except for that little bit on the front. ooo-er. and he has milou aka snowy as his pet dog...

well there are lots of "gay" characters the cartoons...but then perhaps we are just over analysing things...

1. ernie and bert from sesame street.

2. bugs bunny ( people say that he's a closet drag queen)

3. tinky winky

even

NODDY AND BIG EARS cos they sleep in the same bed.

perhaps things were much innocent before.

one character i know for sure is fag is smithers from the simpsons, with all those double entredres and the towns largest malibu stacy collection!!!!

Edited by boybrat

yes, i do. eric morecambe and ernie wise!!!!!

long running british comedy duo. the list of celebrities who appeared on their shows read out like a who's who in british entertainment.

a-list stars galore!!! WAHEY!

well so did laurel and hardy..tho i cant imagine them ######ing.............

oh dear i just did.*shudder*

######. british comedies are just filled with fey gay characters, no?

mr humphries from are u being served and

lt gruber from allo allo (the scent of lily of the valley with a hint of diesel oil)WAHEY!

• 1 month later...
:o Just watched a movie called 'Flawless'. De Niro and Philip Seymour of Capote fame....the line that amused me was....Lifes a bitch so I became one....not a gay movie but more drag queens than the Stonewall riot...chuckle :D Dukkha