Oh Dear (Aussie cricket)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done the Poms...they got it right this time.....

Essentially what they wanted to happen in the ODI final.....The sun came out.

But I gotta admit......The bowling was not upto standard.....Gillespie deserves a rest after last night....he is not upto scratch....it was frustrating to watch him. The Aussie batsmen didnt do the job either.....the pitch was not an excuse, professionals should adapt to the pitch and the Aussies didnt do that... gotta say that Punter shouldnt have walked, the catch was doubtful to say the least and the Third Ump would have to, have given benefit of doubt. That said, One catch doesnt win or lose a game.....the Poms played better on the day and thats all there is to it.

After the recent events in London, I hope that this cheered the hearts of some of our friendliest enemies in the Old Dart and gave them a little something to smile about.

Still dont think you will win the Ashes though.... :o

But I gotta admit......The bowling was not upto standard.....Gillespie deserves a rest after last night....he is not upto scratch....it was frustrating to watch him. The Aussie batsmen didnt do the job either.....the pitch was not an excuse, professionals should adapt to the pitch and the Aussies didnt do that... gotta say that Punter shouldnt have walked, the catch was doubtful to say the least and the Third Ump would have to, have given benefit of doubt. That said, One catch doesnt win or lose a game.....the Poms played better on the day and thats all there is to it.

After the recent events in London, I hope that this cheered the hearts of some of our friendliest enemies in the Old Dart and gave them a little something to smile about.

A few years ago any Englishman worth his salt would have walked,and, given their position Thurs, I'm very surprised he didn't. Still saying that, it's just not done any more. We tried to keep it up for some time after other teams refused to 'play cricket' any more, but in the long run, if nobody else plays the game, why should we. But it did even it out. The second of the LBW appeals that looked good but turned down,was pretty plumb. Still as the learn'ed Prof put in another thread, if we prepare fair pitches as we usually do, and not play to your weaknesses, as other cricket nations are wont, we could well come unstuck. I still predict 1-0 either way with four drawn tests.

...and no matter how much we may loath and despise you miserable excuses for cricketers throughout this period of confrontation, I'm sure I speak for all my fellow countrymen, in sending our best wishes and hopes for a speedy recovery, to the eight (please, no more) Australians injured in this terrible tragedy.

A few years ago any Englishman worth his salt would have walked,and, given their position Thurs, I'm very surprised he didn't. Still saying that, it's just not done any more. We tried to keep it up for some time after other teams refused to 'play cricket' any more, but in the long run, if nobody else plays the game, why should we. But it did even it out. The second of the LBW appeals that looked good but turned down,was pretty plumb. Still as the learn'ed Prof put in another thread, if we prepare fair pitches as we usually do, and not play to your weaknesses, as other cricket nations are wont, we could well come unstuck. I still predict 1-0 either way with four drawn tests.

Ponting actually walked before the umps had made a decision...Something he said he wouldnt do...I saw the one LBW appeal that Hawkeye showed would have taken the outside of the off stump but as Michael Holding stated....the benefit of the doubt was applied, it would have been a hard one to judge.

I dont see how there can be fair or unfair pitches....Both teams play on the same pitch, they have to win a toss to see who gets first use of it.....the only real factor is the weather.

I think that the test players that come into the side will make the Aussies a stronger team.....Langer can bat all day, and of course Warnie if he is in form will prove a handful for the Pommy bats...my tip is 2 wins to the Aussies....1 to England and 2 drawn

SHould be a good game today. The Sun has been blazing down since 7am so by the time 10.45 comes around most (but not all I reckon) of the demons should be gone from the Lords pitch.

Again the toss may have some bearing on this one if it does a little early on. Batting second should be fairly straightforward.

SHould be a good game today. The Sun has been blazing down since 7am so by the time 10.45 comes around most (but not all I reckon) of the demons should be gone from the Lords pitch.

Again the toss may have some bearing on this one if it does a little early on. Batting second should be fairly straightforward.

You just reminded me it was on. Flicked the telly on --- England 34-3 after 14.

45-3 after 15. Bloody South African.

45-3 after 15. Bloody South African.

Wrong..........wake up croc........aussies right on top. 45-4

20 runs more and it may have been interesting but we're way short and the wicket will get easier as the day goes on.

Again we suffer from a poor start ...........but again Australia let us off the hook somewhat.

One positive is that its nice to see Flintoff in the runs at last!

20 runs more and it may have been interesting but we're way short and the wicket will get easier as the day goes on.

Again we suffer from a poor start ...........but again Australia let us off the hook somewhat.

One positive is that its nice to see Flintoff in the runs at last!

First over from Gough 4 nb nb 4 0001...and Gilchrist was bowled on the second nb

Lee 5/41. Does he get into the test side now? Never thought I'd hear myself say it, but I think Gillespie might need a long break to work on his fitness and technique. He is looking very ordinary these days.

The new English tactics.......they have a fly past of Catalinas, DC3's, Lancasters, Hurricanes, Spits during the Aussie innings........

what will they think of next..... :D:D

cant wait for the harriers to go past....... :o

Edited by gburns57au

They should have dropped a few of those poppies over the sightscreen!

Very comfortable for Aus.

I'll say again Lee must play in the tests even though his fitness and abitily with the old ball are questionable. Sometimes theres no substitute for raw pace.

McGrath would also be a worry for me were I an Aussie. He's lost his pace and looks tired after his opening bursts. He still has his guile but again he's had injury problems in recent years.

They should have dropped a few of those poppies over the sightscreen!

Very comfortable for Aus.

I'll say again Lee must play in the tests even though his fitness and abitily with the old ball are questionable. Sometimes theres no substitute for raw pace.

McGrath would also be a worry for me were I an Aussie. He's lost his pace and looks tired after his opening bursts. He still has his guile but again he's had injury problems in recent years.

Hey you old fart....

look at his economy rate in this game.....less than 3 runs an over....not bad for an old tired and slow guy is it ??? Lets not forget that DK Lillee bowled at less than full pace for most of his career after a back injury......Alderman was never fast but he still did the job....

Agree Lee needs to be in the test games at Gillespie's expense...

I'm taking nothing away from McGrath's performances in the one dayers. He's been superb.

I just wonder how he's going to bear up on day 4 of a tough hot test match having 35 overs under his belt already.

In the past Australia's strength has always been depth. Relentless quality.

Can you seriously see Gillespie, Lee and Kasprowicz being able to maintain any early advantages in a test?

If they've been struggling to do it in the one dayers I would say that doesn't auger well for the test matches.

I'm taking nothing away from McGrath's performances in the one dayers. He's been superb.

I just wonder how he's going to bear up on day 4 of a tough hot test match having 35 overs under his belt already.

In the past Australia's strength has always been depth. Relentless quality.

Can you seriously see Gillespie, Lee and Kasprowicz being able to maintain any early advantages in a test?

If they've been struggling to do it in the one dayers I would say that doesn't auger well for the test matches.

A hot test? Do you mean hot action or the weather, I will assume you meant the former :D

I think everyone underates Bret Lee. If I was an Australian selector I would pick him as a new ball bowler . Sure, he is erractic as ######, similair to Shaoib. But, on his day I think he has the ability to wreck havoc amongst a top order . Gillespie has lost his way abit...alot!! It is important he finds his form as he can be a very dangerous bowler when on song.

I understand your comments about Australian depth ,Proffesor. Australia has cleaned out the English top order a few times in the one dayers, but failed to finish off the middle order and let the poms back into the game. Hopefully this is where a chunky blonde leg spinner will come into play in the tests :o

I really think Mcgrath and Lee with the new ball , and Warne , are the key to Australia cracking open the english top/middle order .

Lee with the new ball is one thing, when its 40 overs old and doing nothing its another thing all together. His stamina is suspect which is why hes never had a run in the test side.

Warne's input with the ball will be vital. So far this Summer he hasn't really done too much in county cricket with the ball.

Lee with the new ball is one thing, when its 40 overs old and doing nothing its another thing all together. His stamina is suspect which is why hes never had a run in the test side.

Warne's input with the ball will be vital. So far this Summer he hasn't really done too much in county cricket with the ball.

Lee's stamina is fine...he is super fit...I would worry more about him being injury prone.....

Kasper will do all right and so will McGrath...Warnie will worry the Poms a fair bit.

It's the batting order that worries me.....

Oh dear ; the promised thrashing that was forcast by our Aussie friends has started. In fact we lost a wicket today. :D

Oh dear, I,m just back from holiday to have a little brag about Lee,s 5 for and that Tassie boy Punters ton :o

Is Tasmania in Austalia then?

No Lamp its not in Australia, its an island :D

Oh dear ; the promised thrashing that was forcast by our Aussie friends has started. In fact we lost a wicket today. :D

Oh dear, I,m just back from holiday to have a little brag about Lee,s 5 for and that Tassie boy Punters ton :o

Lampshade...he got you there :D

Lampshade...he got you there :D

I wasn't Abel to see that one coming :D

Watching the final.

England are ***************************************hopeless

Edited by lampard10