My Neighbour The Conman

likewise

My neighbour moved in his house about 2 years ago, around the same time we did. Our houses here cost around 4 to 4.5 million baht, in our little gated community we got 3 farang and 38 Thai families. Most Thais here all have good jobs and are nice people.

All by all a good community.

Now, my neighbour moves in. At first he told people he was working for the Government...... all very vague. AS time goes by I couldn't help thinking that my neighbour must have a very high :rolleyes: position since he never goes to his "government job".

One day he's talking to me and I ask him about his job, he tells me that he quit and is starting his own organization to help the poor rural Thais. Hmm, what a noble man. Turned out that he is cheating the rural poor :jap: . He goes to different provinces, dressed neatly and important looking and sells them some kind of "membership" for his organization who in return will support them in case of problems with the government or police.

That's not all he does though lol, one sunny morning the coppers arrived, cuffed him and took him away. Apparently he had sold land that didn't belong to him :rolleyes: .

2 days later he's back, out on bail and continues his travels to visit the rural poor of Thailand and scam money.

In the mean time the project owner here whom is a friend of mine tells me that my neighbour is not paying his mortgage, actually only paid the first month and then stopped paying. The bank tried to come and talk to him but he refuses to talk to them and tells them they will talk in court. This guy bought a 4 million baht house and has paid so far 1 month of his mortgage.

Well, now 2 years down the road, for failing to pay his mortgage the bank/neighbour are in court. He thinks lol that he can win and stay in the house even though not paying .:rolleyes: It's starting to look like that though.

What does surprise me is that it's been 2 years now, the court case is in appeal and he continues to live here for free. Now his son and girlfriend have moved in and they are becoming quite disturbing to our quiet community here.

Weird, not paying mortgage yet still living here, getting arrested, released on bail,..... conning other Thais in buying memberships...... This guys is a piece of work.

Edited by likewise

It use to take about 5 years from non payment to court ruling in favor of bank. Sounds like the process has been put in fast forward. Nice to have such a nice neighbor, has he approached you to help him out in some way, after a sob story of how someone is out to get him? When the final phase of the bank proceeding start he may get kind of testy with all of the neighbors, as they know what is going on. One morning you will look over and notice the windows, fixtures, etc have been stripped and a empty shell which remains, will belong to the bank.

Yes , likewise , Likewise , a good Sunday morning story , add in a few gory details and the lads will be along to hang-draw-quarter him , have to supply the horses yourself though , can't allow a person such as this shady character to despoil your pristine gated community .

We need more tales the like of this one to get away from all of the disparaging government 'No-news' , does nothing of worth happen in Thailand these days ? Other than , of course , the ongoing struggle of how to get poor Cambodia off the bloody escarpment , GGRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

It use to take about 5 years from non payment to court ruling in favor of bank. Sounds like the process has been put in fast forward. Nice to have such a nice neighbor, has he approached you to help him out in some way, after a sob story of how someone is out to get him? When the final phase of the bank proceeding start he may get kind of testy with all of the neighbors, as they know what is going on. One morning you will look over and notice the windows, fixtures, etc have been stripped and a empty shell which remains, will belong to the bank.

interesting thread, compared to some of my neighbours this guy is a light weight.

Must be time for another sin sot thread then? :lol:

"No-no"she cried "Yes-yes" he said "' No -no , i'll tell the vicar" , "I am the vicar".

Sin-sot , she ran of with another man and took all of my money , leaving me with the kids .

Cannot go home etc , anything to add a little spice to life , YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If someone owns a home in Thailand (either through a mortgage or out-right owns it), do they pay property taxes? Just wondering because if taxes are required but not being paid, I would think that would speed up the process of getting him out of there.

No, he never asked me for a dime he is too proud for that since he actually thinks that we believe him.

Sometimes there are people at his doorstep wanting to see him but he won't let them in, he probably owes them money.

He is always armed though :whistling: . Doesn't really hide it away either.

A strange character.

Edited by likewise

There's no property taxes until you sell.

But what about communal charges to the community, did he pay them?

Thanks...had been wondering about that but never got around to asking.

Interesting about the Association Fees though. However, if he's not paying those, I'd gather it would be more difficult for the Association to boot him out of his home than it would for the bank to do so.

Yes , likewise , Likewise , a good Sunday morning story , add in a few gory details and the lads will be along to hang-draw-quarter him , have to supply the horses yourself though , can't allow a person such as this shady character to despoil your pristine gated community .

Indeed he doesn't belong here, doesn't pay his mortgage, doesn't pay the monthly community fee which every house pays, he just doesn't fit in lol. :)

The first question that came to my mind was: How did he get a mortgage from the Bank in the first place for a 4 000 000 house without a job and without money....

Sound impossible to me.

I believe the op needs to investigate further and find out, not what his private community can do with such a man, but how did he come to own a house here the first time.

I am ready to wait until next Sunday morning for an update.

Maybe I could learn a few tricks from that, i am broke also but I would love to get a mortgage from the Bank for a new condo. Can i have his number I may ask him for help.

The first question that came to my mind was: How did he get a mortgage from the Bank in the first place for a 4 000 000 house without a job and without money....

Sound impossible to me.

I believe the op needs to investigate further and find out, not what his private community can do with such a man, but how did he come to own a house here the first time.

Maybe I could learn a few tricks from that, i am broke also but I would love to get a mortgage from the Bank for a new condo. Can i have his number I may ask him for help.

Apparently he showed land papers of his non existing palm plantation and got the mortgage based on an income calculated on size of palm plantation he doesn't have.

Where he got the papers, I don't know.

Sound impossible to me.

Apparently he showed land papers of his non existing palm plantation and got the mortgage based on an income calculated on size of palm plantation he doesn't have.

Where he got the papers, I don't know.

Interesting, I always thought banks were careful investors.

If you know his real name, you should google it. I have a cousin who was a psychpathic liar since we were kids, and he takes up the entire first page of a google search. Some people just don't feel the pressure from doing these things, and should be avoided at all costs. His time will come.

Reckon if your neighbors don't annoy you with loud music or soi dogs barking and shitting, etc, that you should pull your head in, mind your own business, stop investigating them, gossiping about them and be thankful for what you've got.

Some people attract and make trouble for themselves like a magnet.

Edited by somchaismith

"This guy bought a 4 million baht house and has paid so far 1 month of his mortgage.

Well, now 2 years down the road, for failing to pay his mortgage the bank/neighbour are in court."

Hmmm..pretty slow bank.

LaoPo

Yep, there's a lot of shady characters of the farang variety here. Be wary of them all until they can prove themselves worthy I say. ;)

Although clearly an undesirable, think yourself lucky as you could have a real nasty piece of work living within shouting distance.

Yep, there's a lot of shady characters of the farang variety here. Be wary of them all until they can prove themselves worthy I say. ;)

As Ronald Reagan said, "Trust, but verify." Which is another way of saying "Trust no one."

Thanks...had been wondering about that but never got around to asking.

Interesting about the Association Fees though. However, if he's not paying those, I'd gather it would be more difficult for the Association to boot him out of his home than it would for the bank to do so.

But they may be able to disconnect his utilities and services?

Depends on the articles of association and whi controls the meters.

there are apparently quite a few with poor reading comprehension. where does it say he is farang?

Did you take that picture in a gated community with dodgy neighbors?

no my house on koh phanngan. nearest neighbor is about 1k away.

In the spirit of dodgy neighbor one-upmanship, I'm compelled to report that a year ago a rather nice-looking house in the lane behind us was raided by police. Turns out the house was being used as a drugs distribution point. It's been empty ever since. Curiously, the garden remains well-tended.

I once lent HK$20k to a high school acquaintance who had come to me with a compelling sob story. When I called him some days later on an unrelated matter, I learned he was on a Maldives holiday with his wife! A Holiday that, in those days, would have coincidentally cost HK$20k. I was never paid back. I had never been to The Maldives myself, then or since. Last I heard this guy was still successfully conning his way through life.

Like the OP's neighbor, some guys manage to live their whole lives in this kind of reckless way. I could never do it, though I'd like to read the manual, if there is one.

Not thinking about credit ratings, which I don't think are well organised in Thailand, this whole saga gives me a business idea.

I could pay a deposit on 10 houses. Get nice ones like your neighborhood. Pay first month rent on each property then nothing else. Collect rent on 9 houses, live in one house but pay the mortage properly on the money made on renting the other nine houses. In five years time, loose 9 houses, have a nice has paid off and probably quite a bit of money in the bank!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice guys don't always finish first!

Not thinking about credit ratings, which I don't think are well organised in Thailand, this whole saga gives me a business idea.

I could pay a deposit on 10 houses. Get nice ones like your neighborhood. Pay first month rent on each property then nothing else. Collect rent on 9 houses, live in one house but pay the mortage properly on the money made on renting the other nine houses. In five years time, loose 9 houses, have a nice has paid off and probably quite a bit of money in the bank!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome plan lol

sounds like you really thought it through.

The debts will be all on your name... houses will probably sold for less so yu loose the last house too.

Also as a farang you cant buy a house (more the land)

A Thai cant have more then 1 house on his / her name. So it will be hard to have 10 on your name.