Wireless Usb Adapter Dropping Out

neverdie

Configure a static IP address for your desktop.

You can go to this link which provides you step-by-step illustrated instructions - http://portforward.com/networking/static-win7.htm

Choose an static IP address close to the IP address of your Gateway, eg. If Gateway is 192.168.0.1 choose 192.168.0.12.

And if Gateway is 192.168.1.1, choose 192.168.1.12

• Like 1

Im starting to suspect something is a bit sus about this USB Wireless device

Run the desktop directly into the router via a LAN cable. If it works without any issues, you'll know the USB device is knackered.

I had issue with my Belkin USB wireless adapter which is used with my desktop. It disconnected regularly even when only the desktop is turned on.

I overcame the problem by disabling Belkin's software that operates the adapter, and use Windows zero configuration to run it. No problem since.

See this link: http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/82

• Like 1

Run the desktop directly into the router via a LAN cable. If it works without any issues, you'll know the USB device is knackered.

Yes, tried this and when I am connected via a LAN cable there are no issues, only problem being I cannot relocate the modem and cannot run cables to the location where the pc is.

The USB device is both new & working fine on the desktop UNTIL I connect with the notebook (via wireless means).

I had issue with my Belkin USB wireless adapter which is used with my desktop. It disconnected regularly even when only the desktop is turned on.

I overcame the problem by disabling Belkin's software that operates the adapter, and use Windows zero configuration to run it. No problem since.

See this link: http://en-us-support.../detail/a_id/82

Yes, I really want to try this but I CANNOT work out how to disable the software from the start menu. This proceedure is also outlined in the SMC paperwork about running the windows zero config but I cannot for the life of me work out how to disable.

Also to put you in the picture, Today we contacted the manufacturer of the USB device and they INSTANTLY told us to contact the people that make our router (Billion). We contacted Billion and they requested we upgrade our firmware & emailed us that upgrade & after doing that (Between TOT going down a few times) it made NO difference.

I can see now we are going to continually get passed between the USB people, the router people, our ISP and it will be one of THOSE situations. If I could run a cable I would.

geee wizz. :(

What is the distance between the router and the computers? Do they show strong signal? If you have weak signal (small difference between noise and signal) one more computer may be able to create noise enough to cause the other one to loose signal.

I would try to move the computers to the same room as the router (or vice versa) just temporarily.

It is also possible that your computer send a weak signal but the router sends a strong signal (or vice versa). In that case the desktop computer can show a strong signal although the signal in the other direction is weak.

Martin

• Like 1

What is the distance between the router and the computers? Do they show strong signal? If you have weak signal (small difference between noise and signal) one more computer may be able to create noise enough to cause the other one to loose signal.

I would try to move the computers to the same room as the router (or vice versa) just temporarily.

It is also possible that your computer send a weak signal but the router sends a strong signal (or vice versa). In that case the desktop computer can show a strong signal although the signal in the other direction is weak.

Martin

Interesting. I will have to try and move some stuff around but its not an easy task - LOL.

Strangely, if the desktop is connected and I connect the telephone (wirelessly) to the internet, the desktop remains connect, but the instant I connect that notebook, it kicks me off.

Sorry, I will come back later and I will admit this one is starting to test my patience & Im not normally like that. Something may eventually fly out the window and its a long long way to the ground :annoyed::(

I really appreciate everyones help, thai visa & people like yourself are what makes this place so good. CHEERS

Edited by neverdie

Yes, I really want to try this but I CANNOT work out how to disable the software from the start menu

Just and idea:

Try to uninstall the software and unplug the adapter. The software is probably also listed in the start-up list (see msconfig) where you could block it from starting up at boot time.

Restart and install the adapter again but DO NOT install the software that came with it!

And then use the wireless Zero config.

Edit: since it appears that only your notebook is causing this problem you may want to have a closer look at all the WiFi settings there rather than the PC.

opalhort

Edited by opalhort
  • Like 1

Sorry, I will come back later and I will admit this one is starting to test my patience & I'm not normally like that. Something may eventually fly out the window and its a long long way to the ground :annoyed::(

...for flying things out the window, choose a day when gravity is extra strong...

• Like 1

Yes, I really want to try this but I CANNOT work out how to disable the software from the start menu

Just and idea:

Try to uninstall the software and unplug the adapter. The software is probably also listed in the start-up list (see msconfig) where you could block it from starting up at boot time.

Restart and install the adapter again but DO NOT install the software that came with it!

And then use the wireless Zero config.

Edit: since it appears that only your notebook is causing this problem you may want to have a closer look at all the WiFi settings there rather than the PC.

opalhort

GREAT IDEA & I will report back, although perhaps not tonight, im getting one of those ive had enuf headaches. But really appreciate your help opalhort.

Thanks again. :D

Sorry, I will come back later and I will admit this one is starting to test my patience & I'm not normally like that. Something may eventually fly out the window and its a long long way to the ground :annoyed::(

...for flying things out the window, choose a day when gravity is extra strong...

:lol: ahh thanks heaps, i needed that laugh, i always try and laugh but some things really test me. Everything these days is just so complicated and unless ur always on the ball updating yourself when stuff happens you really start pulling ur hair out.

having said that, so far this has stumped a quite a few people somewhat brighter than me when it comes to gadgets full of wires. I will try a couple of things and report back asap, in the mean time don't walk under my building :lol:

Martin

Martin,

I think you may have nailed it with this one. The reception before use to fluctuate between 48% to 60% depending on what was happening (for example the fan & or aircon on in the two rooms reduced reception). At both 48 & 60 % the program that came with the USB Wireless tells me reception is "GOOD" so whilst its not "Excellent" I though good was good enough not to be a problem. <deleted>? :lol:

Anyway, I've got a couple of long USB cables and I joined them and pluged the USB wireless to the PC, via this cable and repositioned the router the best I can & these two items now have line of sight. The reception has increased to ONLY 70% (I thought it would be higher) and we just connected the notebook and the desktop didnt drop out.

Im going to play with this, but after everything could it really just come down to 10-20% of reception. Its a good notebook, perhaps it was just blasting this USB wireless attached to the desktop out the window, so to speak?

This must be some flimsy signal, its only 'G' Wireless not 'N' or anything. Anyway, Im getting happier by the minute. You have done really well sir, I will play with this a bit & see what happens.

THANKS

I have a similar problem with a Belkin Wireless Modem.

When a new device would connect the other would get disconnected, sometime only internet access, sometime from the local network as well.

Reseting the modem (on/off) would enable all devices to get new IP and internet access would resume.

Careful on joining USB cables. Signals will not perform if the USB 2.0 cable is longer than 5m in total length.

http://www.buzzle.co...gth-limits.html

Thanks trogers, I have only gone to 2mts so far, although I had hoped to pick up another metre one & then I can hang my thingy & leave it there.

I thought it was weird that the software for the USB Wireless was telling me, reception GOOD 60% (& in my mind that discounted reception being a problem). Of course now its saying reception GOOD 72% and I am no longer being kicked off when the notebook starts up. <deleted>? :lol:

It seems that its virtually impossible to get , 80 to 100% reception on this thing, maybe not good quality.

Anyway, thanks again, I at least know what Im dealing with now & this just goes to show you that you should NEVER ASSUME anything when it comes to this stuff. ta. :D

I have a similar problem with a Belkin Wireless Modem.

When a new device would connect the other would get disconnected, sometime only internet access, sometime from the local network as well.

Reseting the modem (on/off) would enable all devices to get new IP and internet access would resume.

Thanks singa & the Billion modem does the same thing. :D

To OP:

Is the USB extension cable shielded or not? A shielded one, if the PC is properly grounded, may give you better results.

What happens if the WiFi PC is off when you start up the notebook first and only then the PC?

Does the notebook go off-line or does the PC simply refuses to connect?

We also have a Billion WiFi router and throughout the house (2 floors, downstairs concrete upstairs wood) the signal on all WiFi devices is 95-100% strength at any location. Only the noise level can be rather high in some locations.

opalhort

If it was an IP address conflict, Windows would normally pop up a message to that effect.

If you can log into your router, look for "Diagnostics" or "Logging". Most routers keep records of the most common problems they can detect if for some reason they feel obliged to disconnect a Wireless client.

What kind of Router is it? I you can't find it, maybe we can find the instructions for you.

I thought it was weird that the software for the USB Wireless was telling me, reception GOOD 60% (& in my mind that discounted reception being a problem). Of course now its saying reception GOOD 72% and I am no longer being kicked off when the notebook starts up. <deleted>? :lol:

It seems that its virtually impossible to get , 80 to 100% reception on this thing, maybe not good quality.

If you think like this... Your desktop may have an inefficient transmitter 10% and a ok receiver 75%. When it receives the signal from the router is looks ok say 60% and that is what you see on your screen. The router gets maybe 7% but you cannot see that unless you know your way into the routers guts....

I'm not sure if my theory is right. Maybe there is a way for the router to tell your computer how the reception is...

Martin

Edited by siamect

To OP:

Is the USB extension cable shielded or not? A shielded one, if the PC is properly grounded, may give you better results.

What happens if the WiFi PC is off when you start up the notebook first and only then the PC?

Does the notebook go off-line or does the PC simply refuses to connect?

We also have a Billion WiFi router and throughout the house (2 floors, downstairs concrete upstairs wood) the signal on all WiFi devices is 95-100% strength at any location. Only the noise level can be rather high in some locations.

opalhort

Wow thats interesting information opalhort. If my desktop is off and the notebook is on first, the desktop (wifi) cannot connect. If the telephone is on the desktop can connect. Of the two USB cables I have now connected, only one is sheilded (the longest one) & and of course thats only as good as the weakest link (the short unshielded one).

I believe this Billion wifi router is GREAT, had it for about 2 years now and cannot fault it. For the first time in a long time my pc is grounded reasonably well and its power socket is even earthed (unlike other places where ive lived).

This USB wireless was NOT expensive, I cannot remember exactly but it was a tad under 1000 baht, there was some more expensive ones but they were wireless 'N' and this one is only 'G'. I believe on the chart I read, if they were within 30 metres or something of each other (usb wireless & router) then the 'G' was sufficient.

The notebook manages to pull 90-95% no matter what room its in, within the house & can easily pick up the router from the pool, so at a guess this all comes back to me being a cheap @ss and buying a cheap USB wireless for the desktop, maybe? :ermm:

If it was an IP address conflict, Windows would normally pop up a message to that effect.

If you can log into your router, look for "Diagnostics" or "Logging". Most routers keep records of the most common problems they can detect if for some reason they feel obliged to disconnect a Wireless client.

What kind of Router is it? I you can't find it, maybe we can find the instructions for you.

Thanks for the offer Chicog, Ive done all of that now, there is no conflict (apparently) & I have the instructions for the router, spoke with Billion and have also updated the firmware.

I think Martin has hit the nail on the head with the reception thing, it HAS NOT dropped out once since running an extended USB cable, so that the wireless device has line of sight to the router.

I feel maybe this wireless USB is defective, which is why its getting low readings of 50-55% where the notebook gets 95%. Its not worth tracking all the way over to where I bought it, where they will plug it in, the light will flash and they will say, "It working good Mr, your pc/router/head no good" :lol:

Im really stoked with all the HELP you all have given me with this, I was getting close to the edge, let me tell you :jap: :jap:

:Thaiflag:

If you think like this... Your desktop may have an inefficient transmitter 10% and a ok receiver 75%. When it receives the signal from the router is looks ok say 60% and that is what you see on your screen. The router gets maybe 7% but you cannot see that unless you know your way into the routers guts....

I'm not sure if my theory is right. Maybe there is a way for the router to tell your computer how the reception is...

Martin

If I find my way in, I will check your theory and report back. Thanks :jap: :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would update you all on what happened with that wireless usb device.

It ended up crapping itself in the middle of August when it was about 2 weeks old. Contacted the manufacturing company directly and they asked me to take it to service centre at Pantip. Dropped it in there and they rang me a week later and said it had been fixed. Picked it up yesterday and in fact they had replaced it with a new one.

New one works fine, no drop outs etc. It would seem I had carefully selected a dud at the departments store, which is so typical for me :lol: . :rolleyes::annoyed: