Pattaya Looks To Iran For Next Tourist Invasion

Boater

When I first moved to Pattaya in 2002, I rented a condo in Jomtien from an Iranian guy. He was a top bloke! Offered me a glass of whiskey each time I went to pay my rent, and reminisced about the "good old days" in Iran. He, for one, preferred the rule of the Shah to the current theocracy. He had a Thai girlfriend, and they appeared quite happy together.

I agree with other posters that you shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush. President I'madinnerjacket may be a loony (he once said "there are no homosexuals in Iran"), but he is a dangerous loony. I would imagine that the majority of Iranians that come to Pattaya realise that.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, I understand that. Back in the USA I socialized with Iranians, but there of course most all of them there are of the anti- radical Islamic revolution, anti-stoning variety due to the nature of US immigration policies. Here in Pattaya which is giving an open welcome to ALL Iranians, please face facts, some of the them are going to indeed be supporters of the unpleasantness there. If you think you can always tell them apart based on superficial appearances, well, you are wrong.

Edited by Jingthing

But if they were so anti-women, and fundamentalist Islamist, would they be seen dead in Pattaya?

Why not? Most Thai women aren't Muslim. This is the place that is getting promoted in Iran, and this is where most Iranians are coming.

Little known factoid - Iran after Thailand has the second most sex change operations in the world. Gay men there are allowed to exist if they chop it off so it is not only transgendered people doing that (as in Thailand). The trouble is many doing the operation don't really want to chop it off, it is their only option in such a repressive society.

Nothing special against them, but on a recent walk down to Bali Hai at night, I felt like the only lonesome farang down there.

TAT should consider how to regain Western Tourists instead. Never seen Iranians buying houses or condos here.

I sold a house to an Iranian several years ago. He did a runner when immigration came looking for him. He didn't lose the house though - he had already put it in a Thai girl's name.

he didnt lose the house he put it in a thai girls name! same same im afraid

Guess the TAT looked at the demographic of tourists to Pattaya.

The main target which I would say is European men, now most

younger Europeans (apart from Russians) seem to visit Pattaya

in small volume and is not a hit with them. Knowing that their

main tourist group is either dying off or moving on they need

new visitors to keep the money rolling in.

Just wondering how advertising Pattaya in Iran would go down.

Iran is not known for its liberalism.

Maybe, but when I investigate such claims, I often find that someone with an axe to grind has taken a lot of poetic license with their supposed "quotes".

Perhaps Juan Cole has an axe to grind but he claims to be unbiased. I find that most people who go to the trouble to research this stuff and write their findings have a strong opinion one way or another.

I couldn't find the exact article, it is less than two weeks old but I didn't feel like digging through them as you don't believe them anyway so what does it matter; it is a back issue of desert peace a link for a recent issue is below:

http://desertpeace.wordpress.com/2010/07/31/betya-didnt-know-that-archeology-is-anti-semitic/

In this article he is arguing that he is not anti-semitic despite claims to the contrary.

Edited by Pakboong

You've got links, we've got links. Here is one people should really read, relating to Iran, which relates to Iranians in Pattaya, because that is the reason they are being invited to Thailand which sees the shunning of Iran as a money making opportunity (can't really blame them on that), as most of the civilized world is closing ranks against their dangerous regime.

http://www.slate.com/id/2264064/

It's Not Just About IsraelSix more reasons why we can't let Iran get nukes.

Edited by Jingthing

You've got links, we've got links. Here is one people should really read, relating to Iran, which relates to Iranians in Pattaya, because that is the reason they are being invited to Thailand which sees the shunning of Iran as a money making opportunity (can't really blame them on that), as most of the civilized world is closing ranks against their dangerous regime.

http://www.slate.com/id/2264064/

It's Not Just About IsraelSix more reasons why we can't let Iran get nukes.

Jingthing, I was merely responding to Ulysse's assertion that I created or in someway stretched that quote, I offered him the source. I make no point other than I cut and pasted it from an article and did not make it up. I can't say it is true and I am not defending it, but it is from a guy who publishes on the Web and is considered by some to know what he is talking about. He is one of thousands that I happen to read. It is simply a view that offered discourse to some of the other views in this thread, nothing more.

I simply do not get offended when someone accuses me of anything such as that. I am only responding to his claim that I was being creative and I was not. It was a direct quote. True or not.

"In recent years, Israeli officials and leaders have threatened to exterminate entire Arab and Muslim countries in the region. The current Israeli foreign minister, Avigdor Lieberman, suggested that Israel should drop a nuclear bomb in Gaza during the recent genocidal blitz against the blockaded coastal territory.

This is what you posted and I don't know what it has to do with the loony article that you have given a link to other than an excuse to spread more propaganda - although I admit that I did not wade through the whole thing. I searched through thousand of Lieberman's quotes from those who hate him and those who love him and yours seems to be missing in action.

If you "can't say it is true" why would you post it as it it was an accurate quote? :bah:

Edited by Ulysses G.

I guess this is more bad news for the bars and nightclubs in the city. :unsure:

the bars / ladies dont give a damm

where the farang comes from , only his money is important .

Not sure about that. I have noticed many free spending, drinking Iranians. I reckon many of those who want to party in a town like Pattaya are not among the more fundamentalist pro repressive government Iranians.

correct , when they leave their home country and come to thailand ,

they forget their faith / religion .

on return to their home country , when they seek a muslim lady for marriage ,

she must be a maiden , if she is no her family will------

thats what i call the best of both worlds