Tot Blocking All Torrent Traffic

geoffphuket

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, what a great service this is, and what a great improvement! NOT, if you go to the TOT speedtest I posted earlier, I get 1.6mB instead of 3MB, with a ping of 42ms.

If I go to adslthailand speedtest, I get 1MB and an 85ms ping....I used to get 2.7MB at times when they weren't "improving" the bandwidth!

Tossers!

Tot CM not working for me.  Nothing doing with theBox  :(

Yesterday couldn't even connect to the web, couldn't get through on 1177 helpline, except to listen to some cr@p music on hold......

Can't even download a 4.8MB program file.

I see some of the other folks here realize that and limit their P2P bandwidth out of consideration for others.

Yeah, like the one user I quoted in a previous post about limiting upload bandwidth to 5kbps. How considerate... :rolleyes: It's people like this that ruin the P2P experience for everyone else. On top of that, he/she accuses fellow torrent users of being "greedy pigs".

Well, let's put things into perspective here... I have a 2048/512 connection.

My upload limits are configured as follows:

Maximum upload rate (kB/s): 42

Alternate upload rate when not downloading (kB/s): 52

Compare these numbers to 5kbps, then ask yourself who's the real greedy one? P2P is all about sharing. All this talk of having consideration for others is just a poor excuse for not giving back to the community.

Personally, I think those limits are really reasonable, you could probably set it up to 100 Kbps and still not be a hoarder figuring the 2 Mbps connection is supposed to be shared by something like 10-20 people. We get nutbrains on our network who try to get 2 Mbps on P2P so they can practically watch DVD's live, we just cut em off. That might be what happened that started this thread, if TOT can't shape the P2P consumption at the user level in such a way it maintains stability for everyone else, they could just block the ports until they find a better solution.

BTW, we use the 3BB premier 5 Mbps package for one of our ISP's and it works dam_n good, speedtests to the States of 3+ Mbps down consistently, when my mates with 10 Mbps back there do the same test in reverse, they don't get any better, that appears to be the limit for trans pac bandwidth so far. But that ain't bad compared to 7 years ago when the only option was dialup. Customer service is prompt too.

This morning in CM:

All yesterdays (UKnova's & randoms) ones that weren't blocked - now blocked

Uknova England Int Highlights - blocked

Thebox - blocked

A couple of randoms - ok.

Mate across the other side of CM (Hangdong) says everything's fine.

Think I've had it with TOT!

Here as another link that they can be told what we think!

http://www.totisp.net/index-5.html

And here you can check to make sure that they are actually providing you with about half of the bandwidth you are paying for!

http://speedtest1.totbb.net/

Thanks for the link. I'd suggest all those affected put their feeling in writing and click the send button. Maybe, just maybe someone is listening. I've also posted them the link to this forum thread :)

I'm still not sure what TOT are actually doing. It looks like they are blocking port 6881. One possible workaround is to use a use a VPN/proxy server for just the tracker connection without proxying the peer-to-peer connections. I have not tried this yet.

They can't block UDP because they'd have to block too many ports which would affect many applications.

IMO, TOT, and all ISPs, should publish an Acceptable Use Policy outlining application exclusions and even capping monthly usage (Comcast has a 250 GB monthly cap), but they do need to tell consumers what they should expect when they sign on for service.

(I'm looking for my TRUE, CSLoxInfo and TOT service agreements now.)

Edited by lomatopo

i have read this post from the beginning and would like to put my 20 satangs worth in regards a few points brought up by adding this picture to the argument.

1. this my "crappy" 6mb 3bb conection.to all you premier whingers.

2. using a private tracker which i pay 300bht per month for. HDTV shows from U.K., U.S.A and Australia. A lot less than truevisions Gold package and no HD.

3. No upload problems as I can "Hit & Run" not a greedy pig hogging bandwidth.

As a big torrent user i can understand the frustration and grief that TOT is causing to you as I went through this with 3bb at the end of last year but came back better than ever.

I hope TOT sorts itself out soon.

post-43098-006069500 1281580777_thumb.pn

Edited by sammycic

Just phoned TOT again, clueless.

Asked if they were restricting/blocking certain traffic etc. They said they have to send the problem to the 'back office'.

I asked if they'd had many complaints about this? She said this is the first call!

I told them I'd cancel if its not sorted - I'm expecting a call back! I'm not holding my breath!

Just phoned TOT again, clueless.

Asked if they were restricting/blocking certain traffic etc. They said they have to send the problem to the 'back office'.

I asked if they'd had many complaints about this? She said this is the first call!

I told them I'd cancel if its not sorted - I'm expecting a call back! I'm not holding my breath!

Surprised they're working today. It's a public holiday I believe

Argh!!

England Int & CH4 News (UKNova) just kicked into life.

A random UK Nova - that's been blocked for two days - just kicked in and is seeding.

Others (inc UKNova ones) remain blocked.

What in the hel_l is going on - or are Tot playing at! Its 10 am and I'm getting a headache.

I'm still not sure what TOT are actually doing. It looks like they are blocking port 6881. One possible workaround is to use a use a VPN/proxy server for just the tracker connection without proxying the peer-to-peer connections. I have not tried this yet.

They can't block UDP because they'd have to block too many ports which would affect many applications.

IMO, TOT, and all ISPs, should publish an Acceptable Use Policy outlining application exclusions and even capping monthly usage (Comcast has a 250 GB monthly cap), but they do need to tell consumers what they should expect when they sign on for service.

(I'm looking for my TRUE, CSLoxInfo and TOT service agreements now.)

Me too, as usual they seem to have their heads up their asses!

anyone check if the problem is my side or from anywhere, can anyone even get access to BTJUNKIE or KICKASS torrent sites, all I can get is "The connection was reset"

I can now logon to TORRENTDAY but any file you try to download in uTorrent comes up with DHT not allowed, local peer discovery not allowed, peer exchange not allowed.......................

I'm on TOT paying for 8 MB in Bangkok. This morning I cannot get the Kick Ass Torrents or BT Junkie web pages but my downloads seem normal once I found the content. By way of example I am downloading 4 US TV shows right now at a speed that varies between 500 to 650 KB/s. seeding is normal too.

I'm on TOT paying for 8 MB in Bangkok. This morning I cannot get the Kick Ass Torrents or BT Junkie web pages but my downloads seem normal once I found the content. By way of example I am downloading 4 US TV shows right now at a speed that varies between 500 to 650 KB/s. seeding is normal too.

Interesting, I am able to get on to two sites but downloads are erratic to say the least. I think it is just a matter of time as TOT seem to be going in and blocking individual torrent sites, BTJUNKIE was fine yesterday, and TORRENTDAY was fine the day before, as was Kickass, now they are useless.

3BB connection in Pattaya. All torrents private and public working OK. DHT/PEX fine. Uploading/Downloading fine on http trackers. Never could get udp to work.

I see no difference now than a week ago.

Just had a power cut. After rebooting, torrents I started yesterday resumed downloading, 1337.org is still the only public http tracker working out of 12. There is one difference though, Peer exchange is still ok but DHT has now stalled on waiting for announce showing 0 seeds and peers. Tried to reset it but no joy on 3 different torrents.

Tried to download a torrent from TorrentDay, the site is up but the tracker is now down.

You waste precious bandwidth torrenting crap from British telly???!!!

As against the mindless crap shown on Thai TV...

How on earth could you prefer to watch British TV when there at least 6 fabulous channel of wonderful screeching Thai soap operas or almost paedophilic children singing mothers day songs clad in enough make up to make a bargirl blush! Give me more, in fact I believe it is possible to get a cheap sat system here that will open up a complete new world, including TV from Burma and Nepal, I have seen a sample and believe me, with this extensive list, you will cancel your internet connection immediately, as you sit enthralled by the magnificent selection of constantly innovative programming that they offer!

• Like 1

I am really new to this torrent idea & in fact just making my first ever download which is coming through at around 200 kBs. I have no idea if this is good or not but at least it is downloading unlike many others here. BTW I am on TOT's 4 MBs package.

OK spent the last couple of hours running some tests. It seems that TheBox uses magnetic (hash/content based) links. For me these do not work any more. In PirateBay I an down load any file using standard Name based links, but Magnetic links just time out (on the announce tracker). I also notice that some individual trackers seems to be blocked too - demenoid for example. Also both UDP (port 80) trakers and HTTP trackers are both working/affected.

So, it looks like a conerted (though inept) effort to me. Blocking message types, certain well known trackers and I dare say some sites too (certainly PB access can be hit or miss). It may be worthwhile people sending emails to TheBox stating the problem and asking if they can either offer non-magnetic downloads or some other work around - it is affecting a percentage of their customers.

Personally I don't use TheBox (other than just today for this test), and I have had no problems streaming TV episodes from other sources (or downloading them using something like Orbit - not DVD quality, but fine by me).

Edited by wolf5370

I am really new to this torrent idea & in fact just making my first ever download which is coming through at around 200 kBs. I have no idea if this is good or not but at least it is downloading unlike many others here. BTW I am on TOT's 4 MBs package.

That's not bad, it is about half your bandwidth you pay for, which seems about right for TOT, as your torrent site is probably outside of Thailand, as I believe TOT have strung another string and two tin cans across the ocean to connect with the real world.

Rumour has it that speed will be increased greatly in the coming months as they string out some 50lB fishing line as a fibre optic cable.

Edited by Llareggub

Finished downloading 4 42 minute US TV shows in 57 minutes. About the best I can ever do. Seeing that everyone now is downloading to test the system TOT may be experiencing some interesting load shapes. Seeing that is is a holiday no one will even think about the internet over at TOT until Monday.

Edited by grantbkk

You waste precious bandwidth torrenting crap from British telly???!!!

As against the mindless crap shown on Thai TV...

How on earth could you prefer to watch British TV when there at least 6 fabulous channel of wonderful screeching Thai soap operas or almost paedophilic children singing mothers day songs clad in enough make up to make a bargirl blush! Give me more, in fact I believe it is possible to get a cheap sat system here that will open up a complete new world, including TV from Burma and Nepal, I have seen a sample and believe me, with this extensive list, you will cancel your internet connection immediately, as you sit enthralled by the magnificent selection of constantly innovative programming that they offer!

:cheesy: