Retirement Visa - What If I Am Not Here After 90 Days?

I've been getting a 1-year non-immigrant "retirement" visas with a multiple re-entry permit, for a few years. I get them in Pathum Thani (always the same clerk). Part of the process is reporting back every 3 months to hand them a piece of paper with my current address.

This year, I had an emergency and left Thailand 2 months after my last visit. When I returned, I was a a month overdue to report to the Immigratrion office. Do I have to pay a fine for not being here? When I was in the office the last time, an Indian man had left the country and reported late, and they were trying to fine him, and he was arguing and shouting. My (Thai) wife says not to worry, he was in trouble because he was not polite, but I am not so sure.

Does anyone know what the law says about this? And if I am liable, how would I have avoided it? I left on 24 hours notice, but will I be punished nevertheless for not reporting before I left?

Thanks!

The report is for staying in Thailand for 90 days. When you leave the country, you no longer are in Thailand and thus didn't need to make a 90 day report.

A new 90 days starts from day 1 when you re-enter Thailand. So 90 days after you arrived at the airport you make a new 90 day report. The stamps in your passports show why you didn't make the report and why you are reporting now.

I'm mid way into my third Retirement Extension and have never submitted a 90 day report.

Simply because I as yet have not settled in Thailand, deciding at my home base end when and if I want to use the option of staying here more or less full-time.

I, with my TW stay a couple of times a year almost up to the 3 month mark, but as yet have not passed this.

I still have family here in Australia and my wife enjoys the life here.

Are there any reports of Immigration not liking this type of "Retirement" and cancelling the permission, or other members happily doing as I do?

It goes without saying that I meet all of the renewal requirements each year!