Bangkok Airport Express Train To Open Next Week

webfact

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest problem with any airport-city express link is the fact that only a few people want to go to the city end of the link. In Bangkok's case, getting to/from Makkasan would often be harder than getting directly to the airport. Using the MRT or BTS to get to Makkasan has it's own difficulties with getting to an MRT/BTS station, carrying your luggage on the MRT/BTS, and connecting from the MRT/BTS to the airport link (particularly Petchaburi MRT at this point).

The only time I think the link would be useful for most people in Bangkok is during peak traffic or when it's raining (especially when it's raining during peak traffic).

I don't know what road connections there are into Makkasan station. The only one I have seen is off the Asoke-Ratchada Rd. If the road connections are bad, it could add 20 minutes just trying to get into the place.

May be practical for people coming in light, but for long-haulers with bags it will be onerous trying to board, disembark toting suitcases, duffles, etc,

add to it the usual hoard trying to board / exit without any organization or consideration, then there's the flights of stairs at stations to contend with.

Ever tried London Underground with a suitcase ?

big difference, 50 bucks for a cab or a few bucks for a train.

not much bang for the buck on bkk train unless arriving peak hour

I'm leaving for the airport tonight , is it open for traffic today? I will goto Phaya Thai and wait for the local train .

No, it's not open on Sundays yet.

Are you sure about this?

Flying in next week and looking forward to using this new service. I need to get to Asoke but can't figure that out from the website http://airportraillink.railway.co.th/en/index.html seems there should be a map in english somewhere that shows the entire system. And what's up with the dude's pants around the ankles video on the home page of the new train's website. something lost in translation perhaps. anyway, thx for the thread here...