Australian Red-Shirt Conor David Purcell To Be Deported From Thailand

webfact

Australian 'Red Shirt' to be released: court

BANGKOK (AFP) - An Australian man arrested for joining violent anti-government street protests in Thailand is to be freed after pleading guilty on Friday to breaching the kingdom's emergency laws, a court ruled.

Conor David Purcell, 30, will be released because he has already served his sentence of three months, reduced to six weeks because he admitted the charges.

"After consideration of his action the court found that he is guilty but because he is a foreigner he may not have understood the law," Judge Somchart Lertlikhitworakul said.

Purcell will be taken from prison to an immigration facility and is expected to be deported to Australia.

"I feel wonderful really as it is over," he said after the hearing.

He was arrested in April and charged with violating an emergency decree put in place by Thai authorities in response to two-month protests by the anti-government "Red Shirts" movement.

Pathumwan Municiple Court ruled that he committed the offence, which carries a maximum two-year penalty, by appearing on stage during the rally to address protesters, but said there was no evidence that he intended to use violence.

The street rallies -- which descended into several outbreaks of bloodshed and were broken up in a deadly army assault -- left 91 people dead, mostly civilians, and nearly 1,900 injured.

Unrest paralysed much of the capital in April and May, while militant demonstrators set dozens of buildings ablaze including the stock exchange and Central World department store after the crackdown.

The court ruling follows a similar decision last month on Briton Jeff Savage, another foreigner involved in the protests.

Thai authorities have used their emergency powers to arrest hundreds of suspects, including many top Red Shirts.

Seventeen anti-government protest leaders denied terrorism charges on Monday and will stand trial.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-08-20

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An Australian man arrested for joining violent anti-government street protests in Thailand is to be freed after pleading guilty

When dealing with an unruly toddler, it's amazing how effective a proper "time out" can be in correcting their temper tantrums:

conor2.jpg

When dealing with an unruly toddler, it's amazing how effective a proper "time out" can be in correcting their temper tantrums:

Smug off-the-cuff remarks not only mislead people but can lead to irresponsible behavior in themselves.

Mr. Purcell is not an unruly toddler, but a person with severe emotional problems that render him unable to function to care for himself.

He should have been released on medical grounds. Those of you who did not have the opportunity to observe him personally over a prolonged period, as I have, should stop making conclusions based on newspaper stories.

To recommend "professional help" is dubious for a non-professional to do because the decision to accept and follow it must come from the subject himself.

• Like 2

Why do some people get involved in something that is of no concern to them, I am glad he is going and i hope others with the same view leave as well.

I wholeheartedly agree. None of us foreigners who spend our money and live here should have any opinion at all on anything to do with Thailand and should do an Oliver Twist and just hold out our bowls for as much sh*t, harassment and shakedowns as the Thais want to give us. None of us should complain, none of us should take any interest in human rights abuses, corruption or other unsavory practices.

We should all just forget everything we've ever thought about morals, integrity, fairness or honesty the moment we get off the plane and exist in out own little cocoons oblivious to anything that is going on around us - then this will be a very empty forum left just to people asking the price of a motorbike tire or where to buy Marmite :blink:

Unless you have permanent resident card or become a Thai citizen, then I say stay out of their affairs. 'Guests' are welcome to leave anytime they choose if they think Thailand is such a horrible country to retire in. I'm not Thai but I do work and pay taxes here so I do have a bit more right to bitch but even I know better to stay out of their affairs. If you wish to protest then write a letter to www.hrw.org .

Edited by bkk75
  • Like 2

Look forward to reading about his campaign to defame Thailand in every way possible in the press and online, which will undoubtedly kick off as soon as he touches down in Aus.

Ha ha ha, defame Thailand? I don't think it needs any outside assistance in that matter. On the issue of interference in Thailand as a foreigner well we on this forum have more than once expressed our opinions either way. But getting up on a stage and telling a mad throng of people that Australian soldiers are training with Thai soldiers on how to kill thais is a raving joke. He is truly a complete idiot!

• Like 1

This is a very funny statement: "After consideration of his action the court found that he is guilty but because he is a foreigner he may not have understood the law," Judge Somchart Lertlikhitworakul said. I"m not sure what this means, maybe foreigners are just not that smart, or possibly he thought it's not illegal to take part in riots and demonstrations that take away from others quality of life? I do think it's a good thing that he is out of jail and out of the country, no reason at all for the Thai to have to support these kind of people. Good riddance, I hope this means he won't be allowed back, but wouldn't count on it. Thai and Australian soldiers are brothers? Oh brother! Maybe they deported him for thinking the Thai people are stupid. :unsure:

We all have right to express our conscience. There are consequences however. With your type of thinking, the world will never become a better place.

I wholeheartedly agree. None of us foreigners who spend our money and live here should have any opinion at all on anything to do with Thailand and should do an Oliver Twist and just hold out our bowls for as much sh*t, harassment and shakedowns as the Thais want to give us. None of us should complain, none of us should take any interest in human rights abuses, corruption or other unsavory practices.

We should all just forget everything we've ever thought about morals, integrity, fairness or honesty the moment we get off the plane and exist in out own little cocoons oblivious to anything that is going on around us - then this will be a very empty forum left just to people asking the price of a motorbike tire or where to buy Marmite :blink:

Majority of problems existing in the world today is due to outsiders interfering in issues that has nothing to do with them. Clean up the mess in your own country/countries before imposing your own morals and judgements onto others.

This is one of the few people I wish Australia would make wait a long time before providing the money to send him back to Australia. Both Thailand and Australia would be better without him. maybe he can go to Ireland. In the meantime the best place would be the Immigration Detention Centre,

• Like 2

Most of the posts seem to be upset at this guy. Where are the posts with people being upset with the Thai nationals who let him on stage and provided a translator? Seriously, if you are going to post at least post about all parties involved. Last time I heard, Thai people were running the rally and, presumably, the only way for him to get on stage was to be let on stage by some Thai people.

TheWalkingMan

Well done ,I think its time for many foreigners to understand NOT to interfere in Thailand politics. After all we are only guests here . Hope this story will be set as example for the future.

What like we don't all interfere in other countries politics. Well our governments do anyway as they do it for us! You should be free to express your views in any country even if it's not your own and a lot of brave people die in foreign lands doing exactly that for the benefit of future generations with no thought as to the dangers they're putting their own lives in. Whether you agree with his point of view or not is besides the point. Freedom of speech is a human right so long as it doesn't insight hatred.

Most of the posts seem to be upset at this guy. Where are the posts with people being upset with the Thai nationals who let him on stage and provided a translator?

In any of the other hundreds of posts on the subject throughout the forum. This thread, though, is about this Aussie guy's deportation, so naturally the focus is on him.

He seems to have finally seen sense and pleaded guilty. The reason his case took longer than the Jeff Savage case and why he spent more time in jail than Savage was that he pleaded not guilty at his previous hearing. I think it was a good decision by the court, even if their explanation, at least the translation, sounds incoherent. Get rid of him and blacklist him for life but don't make him a martyr. Maybe it was a bit discriminatory that many Thais who made far more inflammatory speeches were not arrested but then foreigners are asking for trouble getting themselves visibly involved in Thai politics and a white face appearing on the stage and on Youtube was effectively a challenge to the government. So no surprise. Let the Australian government support him on welfare and save the Thai taxpayer the cost of his red rice. His fellow Aussies are going to consider him a prat.

Edited by Arkady
  • Like 2