Cleanliness

buadhai

I'm living with a Thai-Chinese family in Korat. As you might expect, in most respects that are clean to the point of compulsion. Everyone showers several times a day, the floors are so clean I'd eat off them and they wash their cars more often in a week than I'd do in a year.

But, some parts of the house are what I'd consider to be filthy. There are cobwebs on the walls and ceilings and some of the windows and window screens look like they haven't been washed in years. The screens in the kitchen are so full of gunk and grime that you have to turn the light on during the day to see what you're doing.

Is this typical, or what? Do people spend hours cleaning their person, automobiles and floors so much that they end up ignoring walls, ceilings, screens and windows or, am I just living with an unusual family?

Sign me "Koncerned in Korat"

Floors take priority as that is where you eat and normally spend most of your time. Above the floor seems to become only visible when something is needed. Above the line of sight nothing is disturbed. Get some Kitchen Magic and take the garden hose to the screens and walls. They may take to cleaning if they see you doing it - but more likely it will be more reason to find a maid. :o

They may not have a clue how to clean the screens and walls. All the more reason to have tile walls when you build.

That's what I said, "Next project, walls windows and screens."

Let's see, I've already repaired all the plumbing, upgraded the power to modern standards (Safe-T-Cut with real ground wires), insulated the ceilings, put a decent garden in the front yard, etc.

Thank God I didn't follow standard advice and find something to do during retirement. It's all here!

:D:o:D

I'm living with a Thai-Chinese family in Korat. As you might expect, in most respects that are clean to the point of compulsion. Everyone showers several times a day, the floors are so clean I'd eat off them and they wash their cars more often in a week than I'd do in a year.

But, some parts of the house are what I'd consider to be filthy. There are cobwebs on the walls and ceilings and some of the windows and window screens look like they haven't been washed in years. The screens in the kitchen are so full of gunk and grime that you have to turn the light on during the day to see what you're doing.

Is this typical, or what? Do people spend hours cleaning their person, automobiles and floors so much that they end up ignoring walls, ceilings, screens and windows or, am I just living with an unusual family?

Cleaning house or windows need time and we dont have ( many ) easy machine like in States or Europe wipe and goes. We do love to clean ourselves ( fast and easier than washing house and tidy all windows at home ), we do need extra maid to do it for us. Maybe we soon shall learning the western way of living by cleaning and making tidy. Coming soon. :o

Cleaning house or windows need time and we dont have  ( many ) easy machine like in States or Europe wipe and goes. We do love to clean ourselves ( fast and easier than washing house and tidy all windows at home ), we do need extra maid to do it for us. Maybe we soon shall learning the western way of living by cleaning and making tidy. Coming soon.  :o

Well, they have time to spend hours per week washing their cars using pretty much the same methods I'd use to wash windows.

Cleaning house or windows need time and we dont have ( many ) easy machine like in States or Europe wipe and goes. We do love to clean ourselves ( fast and easier than washing house and tidy all windows at home ), we do need extra maid to do it for us. Maybe we soon shall learning the western way of living by cleaning and making tidy. Coming soon. :o

Time enough to watch all those 'Joker' shows though :D

As someone else said, perhaps because it's not necessary, i.e. the majority of people can't see it, unlike the car which is always on show :D

Every year, when we visit mom, I will sweep the cobwebs, clean the screens, clean air conditioning filters and chisel the grime off the kitchen fans. :o

It's not so bad, now that it's done annually !!!!