Can You Differentiate Between Native Thais And Chinese Thais?

nainoom

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai Chinese are natives too. I think you mean aboriginal Thais v Thais of Chinese descent.

I met a half-thai, half-chinese lady once, and she was quite differentiable from a Thai-Chinese.

I'm glad its racial profiling season again.

Wishing you a long and acrimonious thread,

SC

Not 100%, but quite a good assumption: RED-shirt = Thai, YELLOW-shirt = Chinese.

Former PM was pretty chinese no? In the south how does your theory hold up? Not even close to 100 percent.

Come back and try again when you have given it a little more thought.

The vast majority of Thais do not identify with EITHER the red shirts OR the yellow shirts.

Yes there are cultural differences within the Thai nation based on lots of factors, including ethnicity. This is news?

Edited by Jingthing

The fast majority of Thai Visa Members are in a Relationship with a Chinese Thai (at least thats what they tell on here). So you are just at the right place here to ask this question. Soon you will have answers from hundrets of Experts....... :ph34r:

unfortunately I am not one of them, I still dont know the difference, so I will watch this topic closely and learn something.

The vast majority of Thais do not identify with EITHER the red shirts OR the yellow shirts.

The vast majority of Thais identify with apathy towards politics. :D

Maybe they're a bit red, a bit yellow....

A nation of orangemen, God forbid...

Oh I do like to air my bigotries - it keeps them fresh

SC

The fast majority of Thai Visa Members are in a Relationship with a Chinese Thai (at least thats what they tell on here). So you are just at the right place here to ask this question. Soon you will have answers from hundrets of Experts....... :ph34r:

:lol:

Yeah most expats are also married to hi-so model Chinese-Thai daughters who graduated from oxford with a degree in astrophysics whose Chinese-thai father is the captain of industry head honcho for imaginary corporation inc.

If you take a peek at an expat meet sometime the reality is shocking! :o

Yeah most expats are also married to hi-so model Chinese-Thai daughters who graduated from oxford with a degree in astrophysics whose Chinese-thai father is the captain of industry head honcho for imaginary corporation inc.

Not another Chinese Thai thread. Should be popular with the majority of Thai Visa posters who are all married to influential, overseas educated Chinese Thais. :rolleyes:

biggrin.gif Are you guys just kidding me or it's true that the westerners see Chinese Thais as upper class. because the way you describe Chinese Thais sounds weird to me.

biggrin.gif Are you guys just kidding me or it's true that the westerners see Chinese Thais as upper class. because the way you describe Chinese Thais sounds weird to me.

Hang around long enough here, and you'll see lots of posts about Chinese Thais, most of it IMO a load of hogwash - but for some reason yes a significant number seem to think that is the case. Please exclude me though, from this "weird" train of thought.

along with the stereo type of being shop owners and tight with money matters the chinese thais also seem to have a large number of professionsal such dr's, accountants, architechs and school professors. Education seesm to be an important part of the chinese thai family ambition.

Not another Chinese Thai thread. Should be popular with the majority of Thai Visa posters who are all married to influential, overseas educated Chinese Thais. :rolleyes:

No, it's making fun of the fact that a lot of western expats brag about being connected to the upper tier of Thai society with a super model wife when it's completely fictitious.

Plus expats on Thai visa are obsessive about chinese-thais and their status. I guess the primary reason is because they are viewed with respect and legitimacy in Thailand whereas western expats usually aren't. So there's that jealousy and envy there.

I

No, it's making fun of the fact that a lot of western expats brag about being connected to the upper tier of Thai society with a super model wife when it's completely fictitious.

Plus expats on Thai visa are obsessive about chinese-thais and their status. I guess the primary reason is because they are viewed with respect and legitimacy in Thailand whereas western expats usually aren't. So there's that jealousy and envy there.

I

Pot, Kettle, Black.

Funny how its always the guys without one that always contribute the usual insightful remarks. 

Thai-Chinese are about as "Chinese" as African-Americans are Ethiopian. Which is to say that there has been so much mixing over several generations that it's pretty pointless to even call them as such. The culture is thoroughly Thai.

True.

But still many Thai-Chinese families dont mix (intermarriage) with, ehmm what to call them, etnic Thais(?)

Seems to be a little racial thing going on within many of those families.

Anyhow, In USA they still call them self Irish or Italian, even though they are 10th generation American, and have never been outside the US, or can even recognize Irish dialect (or speak italian).

People will always try to be "special", so we tend to keep these things in the bag, ready to pull it out of needed.

Chinese Thais are more attractive than Chinese people because they have mixed with the Native Thais (to some extent). For some genetic reason, mixing races creates more attractive babies.

Thank you Dr Josef Mengele....:rolleyes:

Bulls eye.

Wonderful sarcasm.

Not 100%, but quite a good assumption: RED-shirt = Thai, YELLOW-shirt = Chinese.

Interesting, I wonder how many foreigners view Thai protesters in this way. It's partly true that most of the red shirts can represent Thai and most of the yellow shirts can represent Chinese (Thais) but not 100% as you said. there're all kinds of people on both sides. Actually, talking about one's race is quite sensitive in Thai forums. you could be banned quickly and branded as Nazi.

Anyway, I don't think this crisis will lead to a race riot. I'm sure my Thai countrymen won't try to kill me just because I wear a yellow shirt and am of Chinese descent. jap.gif

Pot, Kettle, Black.

Funny how its always the guys without one that always contribute the usual insightful remarks.

I don't think I've seen a post where someone has actually claimed that they are married to a hi-so Thai or a super model. I have only seen posts where someone else says that everyone else claims that they are married to a hi-so Thai or super model.

Edited by whybother

Pot, Kettle, Black.

I don't think I've seen a post where someone has actually claimed that they are married to a hi-so Thai or a super model. I have only seen posts where someone else says that everyone else claims that they are married to a hi-so Thai or super model.

Absolutely spot on Whybother !! I was just talking to my Thai-Chinese Hi-So wife about this very thing