Can You Differentiate Between Native Thais And Chinese Thais?

nainoom

No, it's making fun of the fact that a lot of western expats brag about being connected to the upper tier of Thai society with a super model wife when it's completely fictitious.

Plus expats on Thai visa are obsessive about chinese-thais and their status. I guess the primary reason is because they are viewed with respect and legitimacy in Thailand whereas western expats usually aren't. So there's that jealousy and envy there.

Pot, Kettle, Black.

Funny how its always the guys without one that always contribute the usual insightful remarks.

I don't think I've seen a post where someone has actually claimed that they are married to a hi-so Thai or a super model. I have only seen posts where someone else says that everyone else claims that they are married to a hi-so Thai or super model.

I am married to a non-hi-so chinese thai - not even of super model stature or rich daddy. Just ordinary bkk citizen. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have missed the point altogether.

Ask the people with Chinese blood what nationality there are?

In my experience they will proudly telll you they are Thai.

except when CNY rolls around and they can take an extra couple days off work  :lol:

Look at their eyes. You can tell from a mile away.

Nonsense. Thais can't tell where anyone is from. Watch an Asian beauty contest. There was one of the fashion channel recently. It was broadcast in English and none of the Thais in the room could tell anyone from anyone else.

No, it's making fun of the fact that a lot of western expats brag about being connected to the upper tier of Thai society with a super model wife when it's completely fictitious.

Plus expats on Thai visa are obsessive about chinese-thais and their status. I guess the primary reason is because they are viewed with respect and legitimacy in Thailand whereas western expats usually aren't. So there's that jealousy and envy there.

Pot, Kettle, Black.

Funny how its always the guys without one that always contribute the usual insightful remarks.

I don't think I've seen a post where someone has actually claimed that they are married to a hi-so Thai or a super model. I have only seen posts where someone else says that everyone else claims that they are married to a hi-so Thai or super model.

Then you haven't been around long enough. There's a distinct "complex" that some expats have about their perceived social status in Thailand. In the past year there have been numerous threads about Thai-Chinese and they always have some of the most amazing and hilarious tall tales around.

I made a post a few months ago "claiming" to be dating a hi-so girl but she isn't a Chinese Thai (which incidentally I think refers to ethnic Chinese people who hold Thai nationality rather than a mix of both, although obviously the lines are pretty blurred). I didn't announce the fact because of any concerns about my social status though and yes, nobody believed me but who cares? :)

Edited by inthepink

Thai-Chinese are about as "Chinese" as African-Americans are Ethiopian. Which is to say that there has been so much mixing over several generations that it's pretty pointless to even call them as such. The culture is thoroughly Thai.

OMG,you have caused havoc on here.All the Bangkok farangs have married CHINESE/THAI birds,how dare you,there will be many jumping off buildings now that they are noraml and not hi-so

I made a post a few months ago "claiming" to be dating a hi-so girl but she isn't a Chinese Thai (which incidentally I think refers to ethnic Chinese people who hold Thai nationality rather than a mix of both, although obviously the lines are pretty blurred). I didn't announce the fact because of any concerns about my social status though and yes, nobody believed me but who cares? :)

Are you still with her or come to your senses

I made a post a few months ago "claiming" to be dating a hi-so girl but she isn't a Chinese Thai (which incidentally I think refers to ethnic Chinese people who hold Thai nationality rather than a mix of both, although obviously the lines are pretty blurred). I didn't announce the fact because of any concerns about my social status though and yes, nobody believed me but who cares? :)

Are you still with her or come to your senses

I'm still with her. She's a lovely girl.

Pot, Kettle, Black.

Then you haven't been around long enough. There's a distinct "complex" that some expats have about their perceived social status in Thailand. In the past year there have been numerous threads about Thai-Chinese and they always have some of the most amazing and hilarious tall tales around.

Think you will find that mnany have had a hi-so wannabee and kicked them into touch because many are horrible creatures

Think  you will find that mnany have had a hi-so wannabee and kicked them into touch because many are horrible creatures

I think that touches on a basic misunderstanding on the part of many people as to what constitutes a high society person in Thailand. It certainly doesn't mean anyone with white skin and enough money to shop at Paragon.

Think  you will find that mnany have had a hi-so wannabee and kicked them into touch because many are horrible creatures

I think that touches on a basic misunderstanding on the part of many people as to what constitutes a high society person in Thailand. It certainly doesn't mean anyone with white skin and enough money to shop at Paragon.

\

I did say hi-so wannabees,which there are many in Bangkok

just show some baht the fastest one has the most chinese blood :D

dry.gif I wonder if the stereotype of Chinese as greedy is world-wide.

Let's start Jew bashing shall we? Same thing.

chinese thai have thicker pubic hair, the latter have finer and lesser hair

knew this had nought to do with Jew bashing.

same as Japanese woman also thicker pubic hair.

\

I did say hi-so wannabees,which there are many in Bangkok

Yes I know, I was referring to the people you referred to, not you  :blink:

The ethnicity issue has to do with with a number of things, but two important ones are how the person self-identifies him/her self and how the community at large identifies them and if that results in some sort of discrimination (either positive or negative).

A lot of groups, and the Chinese are among them, hold on to their ethnic roots longer and stronger than some other groups. Thai-Chinese do seem to set themselves apart from the rest of the society, but I have no idea if it is because they want to or if there is some negative aspect of the remainder of the society that sets them apart.

The Chinese values are strong and they do value education and a good portion of them do reach professional status.

I live in an area that is dominated by Thais of Chinese descent. They are wealthier than the majority of people, they are a little more insular than others, they either have/or think they have a higher status. The younger group where I live (and this nothing more than a tiny microcosm) are either in University or have graduated and have good jobs (many government jobs). The others have forgone education, but immediately have entered the family business.

Generalizations are invariably false, but I find many of the Thai-Chinese to be slightly less friendly, or perhaps more reserved and suspicious or distrusting than the 'native' Thais. This seems to be true of those in the upper-middle strata of society.

Differences, however, are not always negatives.

Chinese Thais are more attractive than Chinese people because they have mixed with the Native Thais (to some extent). For some genetic reason, mixing races creates more attractive babies.

Thank you Dr Josef Mengele....:rolleyes:

Couldn't have said it better.

Chunky1's post is absolute nonsense. He's comparing "attractiveness" from a small minority mixed ethnic group in Thailand with the looks of 1,3 Billion people.

How absurd.

LaoPo

I think you have missed the point altogether.

Ask the people with Chinese blood what nationality there are?

In my experience they will proudly telll you they are Thai.

It depends. If you're close and if the Thai-Chinese is hi-so they will tell you (Farang) they're Chinese...

I think opportunism rules whatever the situation, especially also in business; amongst Thai and/or Thai-Chinese they won't even discuss it.

It's a non-issue.

LaoPo

Chinese Thais are more attractive than Chinese people because they have mixed with the Native Thais (to some extent). For some genetic reason, mixing races creates more attractive babies.

Chunky1's post is absolute nonsense. He's comparing "attractiveness" from a small minority mixed ethnic group in Thailand with the looks of 1,3 Billion people.

How absurd.

LaoPo

I think what he was saying was that people of mixed race are generally more attractive than pure-bred, and by way of example, mixed Thai-Chinese are in general more attractive than pure-bred Chinese. I don't think that I could refute the basic claim.

I don't think that drawing parallels with mad experimentalists is helpful, and was probably aimed at diverting the topic into an irrelevant side-road.

SC.

Not another Chinese Thai thread. Should be popular with the majority of Thai Visa posters who are all married to influential, overseas educated Chinese Thais. :rolleyes:

:jap: :whistling: Do you think? Haven't really noticed..................Much!

I am not certain about the pubic hair, it was all good to this old school gentleman who appreciated those secondary characteristics back in the days of bachelorhood when such comparisons could be made. But back to the topic, yes, there are many people in Thailand one can quickly take note who are not of East Asian descent. Go live in any rural area in the north or northeast and you will soon be able to detect who is not likely to have East Asian family and who does probably have East Asian ancestors. You can look at the combination of facial characteristics as well as skin tone, with East Asians tending to have lighter skin tone. That is not to say one will be 100% accurate, as there has been lots of mixing over the past 200 years, especially in the urban centers. But in the country side I would bet my guesses are at least 80% accurate.

How absurd.

LaoPo

I think what he was saying was that people of mixed race are generally more attractive than pure-bred, and by way of example, mixed Thai-Chinese are in general more attractive than pure-bred Chinese. I don't think that I could refute the basic claim.

I don't think that drawing parallels with mad experimentalists is helpful, and was probably aimed at diverting the topic into an irrelevant side-road.

SC.

Actually no I wasnt trying to divert anything into an irrelevant side-road.......I was actually taking the p*ss.....:whistling: ......Are you one of our colonial cousins who hasnt yet aquired the concept of sarcasm ?

I assume you are not talking about the Chinese Kuomintang KMT that expanded the opium trade from 40 tons after WW II to 400 tons by 1962. From bases in northern Thailand the Kuomintang continued to send huge mule caravans into the Shan States to bring out the opium harvest. Until 1971, over twenty years after the CIA first began supporting Kuomintang troops in the Golden Triangle region, these Kuomintang caravans controlled almost a third of the world's total illicit opium supply and a growing share of Southeast Asia's thriving heroin business.

The Hong Kong-based '14K' triad, with its strong links to the old Shanghai Green Gang and Nationalist officers, was able to link the Kuomintang-controlled highlands of the Golden Triangle to the distribution channels of the USA and Europe.

I would imagine these Chinese have particular traits and would be interested in knowing about them.

They were certainly very industrious and increased opium production almost 1000% in only a few years.

I imagine most of their families are in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai.

The vast majority of Thais do not identify with EITHER the red shirts OR the yellow shirts.

The vast majority of Thais identify with apathy towards politics. :D

Maybe they're a bit red, a bit yellow....

A nation of orangemen, God forbid...

Oh I do like to air my bigotries - it keeps them fresh

SC

my god they are dutch

The vast majority of Thais do not identify with EITHER the red shirts OR the yellow shirts.

The vast majority of Thais identify with apathy towards politics. :D

Maybe they're a bit red, a bit yellow....

A nation of orangemen, God forbid...

Oh I do like to air my bigotries - it keeps them fresh

SC

my god they are dutch

:w00t: where?

LaoPo :lol: