Can I Be A 'Legal' Teacher

I really think Thailand has enough teachers without a degree... How about getting a degree before trying to teach here?

Sorry if I'm being cynical but non-educated teachers cannot help the country getting educated, unless the country is really in utter need for some basic knowledge. I would think Thailand is past that.

What holds you back from getting an appropriate degree? Why do you even consider teaching without it? Would your home country approve of that?

Kindly let us know why you think you should teach without an appropriate degree, I would like to hear that.

I am not having a go at you. But i think you are being very close minded. (BTW i have a degree). I know a lot of farang teachers some who have degrees some who dont. The simple fact is a degree (where you spent at least 2 years drunk, whilst "studying") doesnt make you a good teacher. It doesnt qualify you to teach at all. If you have a PGCE or similar then its a different matter. Some teachers with degrees i know, are complete idiots, and more than capable of ruining an entire classes educational prospects. On the other hand i know of a number of first class teachers with no degree at all. Two of whom are in fact the best teachers i have seen in thailand! University is not the be all and end all, it doesnt make you a great teacher, and never will, (It does help i agree). But to arbitrarily dismiss someone as a teacher because he didnt get drunk for a few years and then cram some exams to get a fancy bit of paper (and promptly forget everything he ever crammed), is close minded and in my opinion wrong! Looking down your educated nose at someone is elitist, it is also stupid! Sorry but this is my opinion and my experience in life and in teaching in Thailand. So kindly let us know why a BA in dress design or in speaking Patois (awarded in Birmingham U.K.) or Business administration (the most common farang completed degree in thailand, due to its ease), makes you qualified to teach. I would like to hear that!!!!

• Like 1

The topic isn't about whether a degree makes someone a good teacher; it's about can someone be legal. Let's stay on that topic. The gov't here, as in most countries, sets the standard for who can teach and who can't. Some areas have different standards than others. Individual schools can set a higher standard if they wish and can find and pay for it.

Most schools still require an interview and many require a demonstration as well.

Again, let's stay on-topic.

In the pinned topics, there is a thread about Teacher's Licenses and the Thai Teachers' Council:

I don't know if that is helpful, but do take a look around the thread.

A waiver is granted to people who do not fit the criteria to be a licensed teacher--this usually means a Bachelor's Degree in Education. If you have a degree, then there are some exams you can take that will 'upgrade' you to the equivalent of an education degree and get a license.

Im a teacher here, may I ask what this waiver is about.. can anyone refer me to a link about it..?

Go here: http://www.ksp.or.th/Khurusapha/en/

and click the blue banner FOREIGN TEACHER.

All info is there.

Thanks for the link, it's a keeper.

As for the requirement of "Thai language and culture": I had to pass the Por 6 exam (Primary School Degree) in Thai language before the Ministry of Education. The exam for foreigners is once a year in December, and if you want to pass it, now is a good time to start taking classes.

However, I am not entirely sure this is required for teachers of the English language. Is it?

(I don't teach languages but I think the OP wants to.)

However, I am not entirely sure this is required for teachers of the English language. Is it?

Hi tombkk,

That's a completely different thing and not related to being a foreign teacher in Thailand.

If you've passed this exam, tombkk, big congratulations as it is not an easy job.

Hi tombkk,

That's a completely different thing and not related to being a foreign teacher in Thailand.

If you've passed this exam, tombkk, big congratulations as it is not an easy job.

Thanks mate.