Why Does Thailand Have Such A Bad Reputation ?

tatee

Thanks all for your contributions to my thread, I've been reading all along. As you may know Thai isn't good at English and I'm one of them so I think I'd better read you guys post. I'm not sure I understand all of them

By the way I like the idea of burning down Pattaya including all the sex tourists bah.gif

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all for your contributions to my thread, I've been reading all along. As you may know Thai isn't good at English and I'm one of them so I think I'd better read you guys post. I'm not sure I understand all of them

By the way I like the idea of burning down Pattaya including all the sex tourists bah.gif

You want to murder tens of thousands of people by fire? You sound like a real charmer.

Good to see you paricipate here.

Personally I very much dislike Pattaya, for many reasons.

Question for you, have you been there?

Burn Pattaya to the ground and things get a whole lot easier. It's like a senior citizens home for convicts combined with a brothel. I'd say that it is definitely a blight on Thailand's reputation.

Before you get knocked flat on your arse,check who are the biggest tourists in Pattaya,and you will find its thais.I would stop the bangkok farangs coming for the weekend and going with prossies then make out they are wholesome men who have hi-so chinese thai birds

Oh, I think you probably understand very well :whistling:

I don't like Newark New Jersey either. I just don't go there and don't usually (until right now) broadcast that personal feeling to the world. It works for me. No need to make a religion over bashing the place and the people that like it, nor to advocate mass murder of its inhabitants. This epidemic of Pattaya Derangement SyndromeTM (PDS) is really getting serious.

If you think you are afflicted or may be coming down with an acute case of PDS, it is important to seek treatment as soon as possible. If you wait too long, it may be too late (like global warming). We are lucky to have the esteemed psychiatrist, Dr. Dinglemung Glitterberg, the world's leading expert in PDS in Thailand waiting for your emergency call. Don't delay!

Edited by Jingthing

Pattaya is terrible but in a comedic way. The chances of something happening are rare most of the time you just see bloated expat specimens and sextourists ambling about with their below 5 foot tall darlings.

It's not Detroit or downtown Grozny level of horrible though. I don't see what the big deal is. It's seedy but if you look at it it's no worse than Las Vegas. Vegas just puts on a better image even in its mafia heyday.

Edited by wintermute

I don't like Newark New Jersey either. I just don't go there and don't usually (until right now) broadcast that personal feeling to the world. It works for me. No need to make a religion over bashing the place and the people that like it, nor to advocate mass murder of its inhabitants. This epidemic of Pattaya Derangement SyndromeTM (PDS) is really getting serious.

Why do people not like Pattaya?

My family and I have been there a few times, and it seems like a nice enough place for a quick getaway. The beach is pretty grubby, I suppose, but there are some slightly nicer parts, I believe. And it is very convenient. Obviously, not as nice as Whitby, and the beach is not as attractive as Hartelpool, but the weather's better. Besides, Whitby and Hartlepool are not so convenient for a weekend away...

Are there any more attractive places closer in to Bangkok? Some of the old victorian places just beyond the suburbs looked attractive on the way through, but I didn't have time to do the research to find out detailed information? I suppose the trouble is that people are just obsessed with sex and moaning - whinging, sorry, to avoid ambiguity - and focus on that which titillates them, while pretending to disapprove. Such people are not really interested in what Thailand has to offer - only in the opportunity to feel holier than thou and look down on people who enjoy more earthly pleasures.

SC

By the way, I didn't like Newark either, and I think it does have a bad reputation; although, I didn't see enough to justify its reputation; I just thought it was dull, boring; but I was just passing through in any case. Thanks to its reputation, I had no inclination to stop.

• Like 1

I suggest we focus on Thailand here. It is true Thailand is not the only country with a bad reputation, but do we really need another proxy Israel bashing thread?

In fact, that's what a lot of posters always do -- make excuses for Thailand's short comings by saying it's (whatever "it" is in the discussion) not the only country where "that" (whatever the issue up for discussion is) is a problem. Thailand (and any other country) will rise and fall on its own merits, and the conditions in other countries -- whether better or worse -- has no bearing on what Thailand is.

Well said,My own sentiments entirely.

• Like 1

I suggest we focus on Thailand here. It is true Thailand is not the only country with a bad reputation, but do we really need another proxy Israel bashing thread?

In fact, that's what a lot of posters always do -- make excuses for Thailand's short comings by saying it's (whatever "it" is in the discussion) not the only country where "that" (whatever the issue up for discussion is) is a problem. Thailand (and any other country) will rise and fall on its own merits, and the conditions in other countries -- whether better or worse -- has no bearing on what Thailand is.

Well said,My own sentiments entirely.

I think the point of drawing comparison was to show that, compared to other countries, Thailand did not have a bad reputation, and while people can always find something to complain about, the fact that people complain, or disapprove, does not mean that Thailand has a bad reputation.

I think that the OP has successfully foisted on us all his own moral judgements of what is good and bad, and there has been very little discussion of whether it is a bad thing or not that certain trades are allowed to flourish, nor whether it is a bad thing that certain trades and tradespeople are treated with more respect and acceptance in this country than in other countries.

Let us re-phrase this question "Why does Thailand have such a bad reputation for its lack of interfering, prudish, busy-bodying puiritanical authorities?"

As I said earlier, one of the reasons for the perceived prevalence of prostitution in this country is that those are the areas that tourists choose to go, and choose to talk about. So another contributor to Thailand's reputation is the Western world's obsession with sex.

SC

Thailand may not fully deserve their reputation, which is partly an accident of history that probably got amplified during the Vietnam-American war, but it is indeed going to very hard for them to shake it. Probably the most sensible tactic is to deflect it with humor.

If you think you are afflicted or may be coming down with an acute case of PDS, it is important to seek treatment as soon as possible. If you wait too long, it may be too late (like global warming). We are lucky to have the esteemed psychiatrist, Dr. Dinglemung Glitterberg, the world's leading expert in PDS in Thailand waiting for your emergency call. Don't delay!

I do not like pattaya.

Easy as that.

Never said I agreed about burning it down.

Just happy that OP finally decided to participate in his own threads, before this one gets shut down as well.

Oh, oh yes, you actually DO broadcast your own feelings in other topics to the world. Just as rest of us do as well.

Edited by bonobo
Deleted personal slam

I was CLEARLY referring to the OP who openly advocated the murder of tens of thousands of people in Pattaya along with burning down the city. I think Thailand has seen enough of burning cities lately. I don't think expressing murderous desires is amusing.

Killing people because they are so called sex tourists? BTW, what is that exactly, how many times do you have to bonk on your holiday to win that label? Do you get a free one? Why stop there, how about hanging gays like they do in Iran?

Edited by Jingthing

I was CLEARLY referring to the OP who openly advocated the murder of tens of thousands of people in Pattaya along with burning down the city. I think Thailand has seen enough of burning cities lately. I don't think expressing murderous desires is amusing.

I'm not sure that the comment about burning down Pattaya and the sex tourists was meant in literal seriousness.

As mostly beer drinkers, I doubt that they would burn well anyway, unlike brandy-swillers, who are well-known to be prone to spontaneous combustion.

Anyway, that sort of behaviour went out with the ark, I'm afraid, and moral (or ethnic) cleansing is all a bit old testament. For the last couple of thousand years, the accepted way of moral improvement has been to live by example, and show empathy and togetherness with those less fortunate than ourselves, as our fasting colleagues will attest.

For Travel2003: Please - no personal attacks. I try to respond politely to JT, and I think others should endeavour to do the same, regardless of our personal prejudices and dislikes.

SC

• Like 1

Killing people because they are so called sex tourists? BTW, what is that exactly, how many times do you have to bonk on your holiday to win that label? Do you get a free one? Why stop there, how about hanging gays like they do in Iran?

Then maybe quote his original one, and not the one I replied to.

Even though I still believe OP is Troll, I also do believe his remark about burning down (wich includes killing people), is the type of remark most people have made.

In a fight, screaming "Im gonna kill you". But never really mean it.

The remark "I hate you", which again can mean alot, but not really hate.

Just a silly remark when upset/angry.

Funny how you mention gays, as I recently supported you in a thread/poll, and you, instead of sending me a message for clarification, ridiculed me instead.

Ending up with me making an apology for not maiking it clear enough that I supported you view.

Again, Thailand has a mixed reputatuion.

As a holiday paradise on earth, for people seeking wonderful natural scenery, and wonderful people. And the exact same, only for sleezy people.

I'm not sure that the comment about burning down Pattaya and the sex tourists was meant in literal seriousness.

As mostly beer drinkers, I doubt that they would burn well anyway, unlike brandy-swillers, who are well-known to be prone to spontaneous combustion.

Anyway, that sort of behaviour went out with the ark, I'm afraid, and moral (or ethnic) cleansing is all a bit old testament. For the last couple of thousand years, the accepted way of moral improvement has been to live by example, and show empathy and togetherness with those less fortunate than ourselves, as our fasting colleagues will attest.

For Travel2003: Please - no personal attacks. I try to respond politely to JT, and I think others should endeavour to do the same, regardless of our personal prejudices and dislikes.

SC

You are right.

I should have done that with a PM.

I think that the OP has successfully foisted on us all his own moral judgements of what is good and bad, and there has been very little discussion of whether it is a bad thing or not that certain trades are allowed to flourish, nor whether it is a bad thing that certain trades and tradespeople are treated with more respect and acceptance in this country than in other countries.

Let us re-phrase this question "Why does Thailand have such a bad reputation for its lack of interfering, prudish, busy-bodying puiritanical authorities?"

As I said earlier, one of the reasons for the perceived prevalence of prostitution in this country is that those are the areas that tourists choose to go, and choose to talk about. So another contributor to Thailand's reputation is the Western world's obsession with sex.

You know, I'm kind of middle-of-the-road on this whole morality issue. What you choose to do, providing it doesn't bring harm to another person, is pretty much up to you. It's mostly your choice, and you are the one who will reap the benefits or pay the price for your behavior. For example, I don't believe that "voluntary prostitution" ought to be illegal. If two consenting adults want to be involved in it, so be it. But, that doesn't mean that I don't think there is a moral question involved in it. And what's wrong with a society having a moral code? And what's wrong with discussing it?

Now as to the prevalence of prostitution in Thailand...come on now...it is prevalent. There are the places tourists may see like Pat Pong (which just happens to be in the central business district) and Sukhumvit up around the Bumrungrad Hospital area...both of which are areas where tourists are apt to be due to dining venues or hotels. Then there's the obvious Soi Cowboy...a little more off the main drag (so to speak). But then there are massage parlors all over the city, some are quite large and cater primarily to Thais. And there are few Thai hotels that don't have massage parlors, particularly upcountry, that don't give more than therapeutic massage. I used to do a lot of walking around the city...virtually every part of the city. There were few days that I wasn't approached by a prostitute at least once. In Chiang Mai I remember several times being approached by prostitutes on motor bikes. Try walking past Amari Watergate Hotel and not being approached by some taxi driver offering a woman or man or boy or girl. That's not rare outside hotels. Most taxi drivers who are really driving taxis don't offer prostitutes...but it's not unheard of.

You mention the world's puritanical negative obsession with sex. Granted. But just maybe Thailand is on the opposite side, where there's an obsession with the availability of cheap sex.

Funny how you mention gays, as I recently supported you in a thread/poll, and you, instead of sending me a message for clarification, ridiculed me instead.

I did no such thing.

Stop it. That's what PMs are for...

Sorry - I was going to post anyway -

This thread has given me right itchy feet, and I've been surfing the airline sites whilst we bicker.

I'm grateful for all the suggestions and discussion of other countries' reputations for comparative purposes, but at the end of the day, as always, I think it will be friends or family that will be the draw.

That, and cheap flights... actually, there is one - no, two - destinations that suddenly spring to mind at the last minute

Air Miles - I'd forgotten - must off surfing...

SC

PS i've never been one for new places anyway. One tourist attraction is just like any other, foreign cultures are pretty much all the same in the broadest context, bar some minor nuances, and I hate to be taken by surprise by foreign food.

I did no such thing.

Thats how I interpeted it.

Anyhow, I would like to "smoke a peace pipe".

I should have PM'ed you instead.

:sorry:

Is there an emicon for reaching out a for a hand shake?

I did no such thing.

Thats how I interpeted it.

Anyhow, I would like to "smoke a peace pipe".

I should have PM'ed you instead.

:sorry:

Is there an emicon for reaching out a for a hand shake?

This is the forum for hand shakes...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/98-i-drink-too-much-forum/

SC

Replying to the OP, its because in the Tourist areas, the vast majority of Thai women throw themselves at Farang men..... And then of course, so many 'country' women - particularly those from Issan, go to the tourist areas to 'get' farang men in one way or another.... Marriage being the top of the heap for raising money, but if they're not lucky enough to marry a farang, they can earn lots in another way...... whilst never losing sight of persuading the man that they're not prostitutes at all, they just "love him too much"...:rolleyes:

Even those at school, they've 'LEARNED' that farang men equal money, and have no concept of love meaning anything other than money.

That's why Thailand has such a bad reputation, cos that attitude is seen as prostitution in the West.

P.S. YOU DID ASK.....

Edited by F1fanatic

Replying to the OP, its because in the Tourist areas, the vast majority of Thai women throw themselves at Farang men.....

Maybe you look like Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise that the "vast majority of Thai women throw" themselves at you, but I totally disagree.

The vast majority of Thai women in tourist areas are hardworking girls and women and NOT in the sex industry. That is, like always and everywhere, because the SILENT majority of girls/women are NOT noticed since they work and don't walk around in sexy outfits whilst throwing themselves at men like yourself....

Maybe you're too busy, looking at all the other girls, to notice the hard working girls and women? ;)

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Replying to the OP, its because in the Tourist areas, the vast majority of Thai women throw themselves at Farang men.....

Maybe you look like Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise that the "vast majority of Thai women throw" themselves at you, but I totally disagree.

The vast majority of Thai women in tourist areas are hardworking girls and women and NOT in the sex industry. That is, like always and everywhere, because the SILENT majority of girls/women are NOT noticed since they work and don't walk around in sexy outfits whilst throwing themselves at men like yourself....

Maybe you're too busy, looking at all the other girls, to notice the hard working girls and women? ;)

LaoPo

And that's the point I was (obviously) failing to make.

The majority aren't in the sex industry, but are still desperate to attract a farang....

I know one (old) man who, looking to find out whether he could still attract a v young woman that was not working in a bar, stopped at a school.....

Horrifying to say, the 15 year old kids were there like a shot and giving him their phone numbers. :bah:

He was proud, whilst understanding they were only interested in his money - I was horrified.....

Edited by F1fanatic

The majority aren't in the sex industry, but are still desperate to attract a farang....

I think that's a misconception too.

Go to any place in Thailand where there's a large Thai crowd (parks, beaches -Jomtien beach is a fine example on Thai holidays- , shopping malls, restaurants) and watch the (young) couples.

The overwhelming majority is Thai/Thai.

I even dare to say that the majority of decent Thai girls don't even like or fancy Farang men.....

OK shoot..another fellow Farang :rolleyes:

LaoPo

Thailand may not fully deserve their reputation, which is partly an accident of history that probably got amplified during the Vietnam-American war, but it is indeed going to very hard for them to shake it. Probably the most sensible tactic is to deflect it with humor.

Good point, Jingthing. Bad reputations are hard to shake anywhere. Once you've broken laws, deceived people, invaded other people's countries, or stolen, murdered, raped and plundered then a bad reputation sticks to you. Why do lawyers and politicians get such a bad reputation? Why do large oil corporations get such a bad reputation? It is because they've taken advantage of others with less power and used their immunity to protect their actions.

Well thought out laws are only as good as the ability to enforce them. If there is corruption where police are willing to cover up a lucrative, but illegal trade, then that country will soon get a bad reputation.