Leave And Re-Enter?

A year ago when I didn't have a student visa I was still on the tourist visas, and at that time as a Canadian I only for 30 days just for entering Thailand. Then later I heard they were making it only 15 days to make it so so many people can't just keep leaving and entering so easy. Now my student visa will run out and I am no longer studying and I'm reading things like "just re-enter and get 90 days." Is this true? I plan on needing another 6 months here in Thailand before going back to Canada. If I just have to go to Cambodia and back a couple times this is no "biggy."

Not to piss on anyone's parade, but. :blink: ...

I think a little more info from the O/P is in order to properly answer their questions. ;) Certainly there’s no need to just parrot out 'pat' answers concerning a 'visa exempt' entry like; "enter by air 30 days, enter by land 15". :o

What type of 'student' visa does the O/P have? Was it a single entry ED and then they secured extensions of stay in-country every 90 days?

OR

Did they get a year long multiple re-entry Non-Immigrant Type-ED visa in their country and border run every 90 days to continue staying here?

Quite honestly, without knowing the answer to EITHER of the two above questions, any advice offered is unlikely to yield accurate reliable results. :ermm:

The initial part of the O/P's post can be discounted as it seems more like their past history. (Other than confirming that a land crossing garners only 15 days).

Currently the O/P is on a 'student' (ED) visa, but again, what exact type of ED is it? :whistling:

That makes a BIG difference whether they can just border run one more time just before it expires and secure another 90 day 'permitted to stay until' stamp; like ALL year long multi entry Non-Immigrant visa holders can (NOT extension holders), or whether they're really running outta time.

Given the O/P's stated goal; of "needing" another 6 months here ;) , if indeed they are running the clock down a good option would be a double entry tourist visa, plus a 30 day in-country extensions on each entry.

BUT again, until we know the exact type of ED visa they're here under, (and NO I didn't go read their posting history :huh: , as it's just easier to ask questions), no one can give real answer to all of the O/P's question, now can they? :D

I am not from the French speaking part and am currently on a year, multiple entry student visa that will expire in November. Before I did not have to do runs with the student visa, I just had to report every 90 days. I will not have the means to get another student visa unless maybe I trick the university into thinking I will be studying with them and then just leave before paying tuition. I have already studied a year there and this could be possible. The only problem is the year starts in Sept and I doubt they would make a new visa early or something.

I think it would be best to get a tourist visa, single entry or double would work for the time being, as I plan to be here into the next year for sure.

Can I get this without going back to Canada, while staying in Thailand already? Will I have to do a run?

Go to Lao and get a double entry tourist visa free, 2 months on first entry, then extend by 30 days, then go out to cambodia return same day and kick start 2nd entry, 2 months, then extend that by 30 days (6 months in total), extensions are done in thailand at your friendly local immigration office

Edited by rizla

:blink:

There is no reason you can't try to get a 60 day tourist visa in a neighboring country (Loas, Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore) which can then be extended in Thailand for another 30 days. Currently, tourist visas are free, no fee, to boost tourism.

You can fly from Thailand to Vietianne, Laos. Return by flight with the 60 day tourist visa and you will get 60 days stamped in your passport on arrival at the airport. Just be sure to write in the visa number on your entry card so the immigration will see it, and stamp you for 60 days. As I said, you can then extend that visa for another 30 days just before the 60 days runs out. There will be a small fee for the 30 day extension. You will need two days for the visa in Vietianne...because you have to turn in your passport & paperwork on the morning of the first day...and you return on the afternoon of the next day to pick up your visa. You will need a couple of passport size photos for the application and the visa. Since you need two days for the emtire process, you need a hotel to stay the first night at least. If you schedule the flights correctly, you can do it all in two days, arriving in the morning of the first day and leaving the evening of the 2nd day after you get the visa.

You can do the same thing with Cambodia (Phenom Penh), Malaysia (Penang or Kuala Lumpur), or Singapore...but Vientianne is the cheapest flight/hotel combo.

Doing that will get you 90 days (60 tourist visa plus 30 extension).

:lol:

Edited by IMA_FARANG

ok i understand now.. i need to go to the thai embassy.. before i was thinking of just going to the Cambodian border like i have before and then walking back through,

in that case laos sounds the best and i will go for the 6 month so i only need to go there once

So I can't drive there on a bike and enter by land with a tourist visa and have it stamped?

thanks,

-Lenny

Edited by lennya12threh

You visit Vientiane one time to obtain a 2 entry tourist visa. Return for 60 day stay, extend at immigration for 30 days (but leave before visa expiration date (90 days from date of issue at Vientiane) and cross any border/return for a new 60 day stay and can again be extended 30 days.

I'm lost - he said he has a non imm 'ed' visa that expires in November and is a multi - so do a border run on the last few days of your last stamp (possibly November also) or before the visa expires, whichever is soonest, and you will get another 90 day stamp. Then you have 3 months to decide whether to stay and under which category.

He also says he has been extending his stay inside Thailand

I did not have to do runs with the student visa, I just had to report every 90 days

so that original visa has likely been canceled.

As it would not cover the required six months in any event the two entry tourist visa seems his best option.

You can use any method you want - when you have a visa the permitted stay will be according to the visa type and your country - not by travel method.

A visa exempt entry is what would be 30 days by air or 15 days by land/sea.