British Fish Chip Business

actiondell4

yes maybe your right..but he did advertise his opening a lot,i think he was on the darkside?

opened to a lot fanfare,was on pattaya tv etc

oh well.......lucky i didnt buy it

These fish and chip shops are springing up everywhere now.

Edited by actiondell4

Borrowed from another forum, The owner Kevin AKA riff raffles explains why he closed it.

Hello All' date='

I thought I would pop on and set the record straight as opposed to everyone having to read certain people's wrong and misinformed speculation.

The Great British Fish and Chip Shop did NOT close because it failed financially. It has closed because I no longer wanted to operate the business. I have been going through a divorce for two years and the sale of our family assets is now almost complete. I will receive my share of the proceeds of sale shortly and move on.

I plan to return to the U.K later in the year and that, plus a trip to USA, is likely to see me gone for around three months.

I simply do not see the point of worrying about a business here when I am away and will most certainly not be needing the income we made from it. I therefore took the decision to close, enjoy a break for a couple of month's or so whilst concluding the final parts of my settlement.

Although financially I will not need to work anymore I have agreed to ghost write a book which is the reason for my trip to USA. This has moved forward considerably over the past month or so and I need to concentrate more on that than I do a small restaurant.

We never used local fish - for too many reasons to explain but the main one being the complete lack of any taste. Cod was imported as was the Dory. Cod costs around B400 per kilo and for the size of portions we were selling that averaged B100 per kilo cost price - there is always around ten percent wastage. Add Chips for say another B12 per portion plus Tartar Sauce and all the extras - Ketchup, Salt, Pepper, Vinegar and you are looking at anywhere from B115-B120 for a basic Cod & Chips. Then there is Rent, Electric, Water to pay for and then staff wages.

Dory is much cheaper and around B35 per portion. Add the chips and so forth and you see Dory and Chips comes out at B50 or so without taking into account the overheads - we were selling this for B100 between midday and 17:00.

I was at the restaurant every day and did a lot of the behind the scenes work. My partner did the cooking and had done since March 2009 and she became very good. The picture posted is about eighteen months old and most definately NOT representative of what we sold last year or this - if in fact we ever sold that!

I was, and remain, puzzled by constant references to 'greedy' restaurateurs overcharging poor farangs. Any business needs to make a profit, profit has to be added to the price of what you are selling. Please be my guest and set up a Fish & Chip shop and sell Cod and Chips for B80 a portion. By the way do not forget the start up costs, the equipment you have to buy, the shop you have to refurbish and so forth - you have to endeavour to get that money back as well!

Anyway for all of you who did visit the restaurant and the many regular customers we had I am grateful for your patronage and thank you.

For the future I hope you try to support businesses over on the Darkside and if they make a mistake then tell them rather than post negative comments on web forums. If they keep making the same mistakes then they are fair game but please give people a chance first.[/quote'].