Intermittent Internet

Richb2004v2

My internet seems to be very hit and miss. Sometimes it just stops altogether. I've tried other unsecured wireless connections and it seems to be the same. I also use Linux on the same machine and see no improvement. I have a feeling it is a fault with my laptop. The orange connection light on the machine flickers at different rates and sometimes goes off. Should this be on permanently? Is there any way I can check it?

Thanks.

I use TOT in Banglamung and run at full speed most of the time.

Always FIRST check your ADSL / telephone line and your connections, is it green because of water, how is the telephone line quality, cracks / noise etc etc

Make sure your line is as good as it can get!

DUmeter doesn't help you as this only shows you incoming / outgoing data.

If you want to see what goes in / out I recommend BitMeter as this is free http://codebox.org.uk/pages/home

Cheers,

M.

One or more of the modem/router lights should blink every few seconds as this indicates normal operation...data going back and forth....confirming a connection...etc...lighting scheme varies a little from modem to modem.

Now when the light(s) is always off (when normally that particular light should be on or blinking) then you have problem. On my TOT issued modem which hooks to my Linksys router the modem has 5 lights...one light is always out...2 lights are always on solid, and two lights blink about every 5 seconds. This is normal operation and my connection is up about 99.99% of the time...the service has been very, very reliable (knock on wood).

Is it only with Wifi or is it the same with wired connections?

It is most likely hw problem if it does the same in windows and Linux and with other networks.

The flickering depends on... mine is blue ad flickers normally when there are activity...

Is it the same if you are close to the router. What does the signal strength meter say?

Martin

Edited by siamect

It was the orange light on the actual laptop that concerned me. The modem itslef seems to be acting normal as far as light flicker goes. The internet now seems to have gone back to normal, although it seems to be working better from a neighbours wi-fi signal than my own, so my supplier could be at fault to. There's not a lot I can do about that as we have switched several times and never get good service from any of them. I don't have a hard wired connection to try as my desk top has ceased to function. Thanks for the advice.

Just run a hard wire/RJ45 cable from your laptop's RJ45 port to your modem/router if your want to try to eliminate your wireless connection between your laptop and your modem/router as being your problem.

Regarding your laptop's orange lite, if it's like mine it just means you have switched the laptop's wireless function on...kinda like flipping a light switch for a light bulb to be either on or off. I don't think the orange lite is suppose to flicker; it's either on or off regardless of whether you are actually making a wireless connection with your modem/router or not. If it's a manual switch, switch it off and on a few times...maybe it was a little dirty or not fully switched on....it's worth a try.

And if your are running an unsecured wireless connection, your problem could be the neighbors tapping into your connection which can bog it down (i.e., the neighborhood using/sharing your internet connection); not to mention the possibility of them hacking into your computer.

Edited by Pib

• 2 weeks later...

Just run a hard wire/RJ45 cable from your laptop's RJ45 port to your modem/router if your want to try to eliminate your wireless connection between your laptop and your modem/router as being your problem.

Regarding your laptop's orange lite, if it's like mine it just means you have switched the laptop's wireless function on...kinda like flipping a light switch for a light bulb to be either on or off. I don't think the orange lite is suppose to flicker; it's either on or off regardless of whether you are actually making a wireless connection with your modem/router or not. If it's a manual switch, switch it off and on a few times...maybe it was a little dirty or not fully switched on....it's worth a try.

And if your are running an unsecured wireless connection, your problem could be the neighbors tapping into your connection which can bog it down (i.e., the neighborhood using/sharing your internet connection); not to mention the possibility of them hacking into your computer.

Thanks for the advice. I will run a hard wire once I get time.

I've noticed that when I am downloading torrents (I think that's the right name) they also flicker on and off. For a few seconds they might say '1 hr 30 until complete', then they flicker to 'time remaining unknown' for a few seconds. They do this continually. When I do a speed test via USA server whilst experience these symptoms I am told I have a download speed of 4.34Mbps, which seems good.