Students Public Humiliation Over Inappropriate Hairstyle

Rimmer

Students Public Humiliation over Inappropriate Hairstyle

SATTAHIP: -- One female student has suffered the indignation of having her haircut publicly "shorn-off" by teachers from the Sattahip Technical College on Wednesday. The extreme act of authority took place in full view of motorists passing the college, which is situated along the Sukhumvit Road.

In no way looking as if the woman was accepting of the crude haircut, reporters decided to investigate the incident with an unnamed teacher of the educational facility. The woman explained that the young girl had received the drastic haircut from another member of staff who had caught her disobeying the college’s dress and appearance policy with an offending hairstyle.

Full story HERE

PATTAYA DAILY NEWS

-- 2010-08-25

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

It is unknown whether the young woman had been warned of her choice of hairstyle prior to the incident, however she was visibly distressed and humiliated by the teachers public display of authority and was subsequently unwilling to communicate with reporters.

It is assault and the teacher should go to jail.

Good on the Teacher, far too little discipline among the Thai youngsters, lack of discipline at an early age leads to more serious goings on in later life.

When corporal punishment was revoked in the UK is started a long slide. I was an unruly little bugger as a child in school, the threat of cane, ruler, board rubber or dap were instrumental in ensuring not only did I know where the limits were, but I didn't drag everyone down with me by setting a bad example. Strict discipline needs to maintained at school, so everyone has a chance to get some education, you have all the freedom you like in life later to mess up your own life.

Edited by GingerLing

Good on the Teacher, far too little discipline among the Thai youngsters, lack of discipline at an early age leads to more serious goings on in later life.

A little bit of discipline is needed to keep the young folks (and sometimes oldies) on the straight and narrow.

TheWalkingMan

A few years ago I worked at a government university (Rahjabhat). As anyone entered the gate there to see was a large (about 3m x 6 m) sign. It had the same 4 students on 2 levels, on the upper level they had the white shirts and no excess hair or make-up with a great big tick next to them. On the lower level the same students were dressed like goths (or normal teenagers) and got a great big cross next to them. The message was clear, conform and be stupid and you get a degree or be the next Einstien and fail!!!

Sad but true, unfortunately not a lot has been learned...........

Very sad story all round.

Discipline and public humiliation are very different things. I think it's important to have the former but the latter is very damaging and, in my opinion, un-necessary.

I agree. This is all about the teachers power and nothing at all to do with education. Disgusting.

It is unknown whether the young woman had been warned of her choice of hairstyle prior to the incident, however she was visibly distressed and humiliated by the teachers public display of authority and was subsequently unwilling to communicate with reporters.

It is assault and the teacher should go to jail.

This is not USA or Europe

Not sure what bothers me more: A place of higher learning that lets teachers resort to an "extreme act of authority" in full view of the public or the submissive students who endorsed it.

Maybe the school should change its name to the Academy Of Submissive Students (ASS). Staffed with Haircut Observers Love Easy Students (HOLEs) teachers.

"The authority of those who teach is often an obstacle to those who want to learn." - Cicero

Edited by rijb