Labour From Burma

Joop50

Our garden is under construction, Quit a big job as special in the rain season. The constructor came up with some labour wich were very slow workers.

Anyway, I want the job done fast so he hired 4 Birmese workers. They work very hard the whole day and the job is almost done now.

What surprised me the most however is that they do exactly what I ask them to do. Anyone has the same experience?

post-75849-046870800 1282828375_thumb.jp

When the construction of my 4 bedroom, 3 bath teak house was finished 4 years ago, I still had to paint the house and garage/car park (the construction crew didn't do electrical or painting). My thai friend/business associate took bids and decided on a painting contractor whose work I had seen and who bid it at 50,000 baht and I paid for materials (I painted the garage, which is illegal because I don't have a work permit). The first day of work, he shows up with himself and 7 other persons, two of which were Burmese. As the job was going to take 4-5 weeks, my thai friend told him to ditch the burmese workers. If the thai police had found out, not only would the Burmese workers be arrested, I would have faced a fine (and an amount that would have got my attention). If the Burmese working on your garden finished their work in one day, I guess that you weren't taking a big risk. I don't think I would have done it. I went on to build a studio building, with a kitchen and full bathroom, on a piece of land that I planted coconut and teak trees, among others. I did end up painting the whole building and planting the entire set of trees, so I broke the same law against foreigners working in thailand twice. I have tried to stay on good terms with my neighbors, so hopefully, they won't turn me in.

Many Burmese workers do not have permission to work in CM.

About 18 months ago I witnessed Police and heavily armed soldiers swoop on the Moo Baan that was being built on the other side of my wall.

Many of the workers were arrested, handcuffed and removed to the Immigration Department.

They also spent a lot of time interviewing the managers before taking them into custody as well.

However some do have permission to work and have right paperwork, in future I would suggest the OP or anyone thinking of taking on Burmese manpower gets someone who can read Thai to check that they are indeed legal.

The authorities do not take kindly to people working illegally.

I don't know if the OP took on legals or illegals so I am closing this thread.

///Closed///