Why Do Thai Wives Learn English

mpdkorat

I find it quite remarkable that the amount of uneducated country girls who are married to Farangs learn to speak English in a relatively short period of time. While conversely the Farang husband makes little or no effort to learn Thai and spends the next 20 years without any real ability to communicate with the local Thai population. How do we get away with it?

If the Thai wife say went to live in the UK what language would she be expected to learn?

Are farangs stupid, lazy or both.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lazy? – yes we are all lazy – if we can get away with our English, that’s usually good enough for us.

Stupid? – who is to say?

What we appear to have – and like all generalisations, there are of course exceptions – is a distinct lack of curiosity about Thailand, its people and its culture.

This is a sweeping statement, I know. But as proof – just look in the Bangkok forum and read the reasons we choose to live in Bangkok. The vast majority of reasons relate to views on urban life that could be applied to any major city in the world.

There are no specific “Thai” reasons why residents choose to live in BKK.

And if the interest is not there when choosing a place to live, how can we be expected to find a stimulation to learn Thai?

A couple of comments ...

First, I don't think it's fair to generalize across the whole group of Thai wives/GFs and falang husbands/BFs. Second, I think it's up to the relationship. If one's relationship works with one person learning the other's language, but not the reverse, then what's the big deal? Third, I think a lot depends on where the couple resides. If the couple resides in LoS, then it should be incumbent upon the male to learn the local lingo, and vice versa for the female.

Personally, I choose to try to learn Thai because it enhances the ability to communicate between me and my honey. Same for her with falang-speak. Our conversations are often have 3 different languages in the same sentence. I tend to use Thai for what I know best so far, which is numbers, dates, relatives, etc. She does the same.

I find that a sweeping generalisation. I would guess the fellas who meet the girls in the bars are less inclined to learn Thai because the bar girls have to speak English out of a necessity for business. Those that have a genuine interest in Thailand and want to understand the nuances of the country, learn the language.

most thais learn at least basic english in primary school. very few foreigners learn thai before they come here as adults.

also the thai partner of a foreigner is more likely to have had exposure to the tourist industry.

Lazy BUT

I am trying to learn, near impossible on my own in England

Gives my wife a laugh when I speak to her on the telephone. :D

Ivan

:D

:o

Ditto that Ivan. Also, my Mrs won't teach me. She wants to spend the time improving her English, not improving my Thai. So now i've found a teacher but 1 lesson a week doesn't really help you to improve at great speed. :D

Although Khun W has been offered a number of well paid jobs in the banking and accountancy markets over "ere (UK) she still feels that her English language conversational ability is less than she would feel confident with.

Now doing yet another business English course (via Job centre plus) while in her spare time flogging Vitamin tablets,Mobile Telephones and just about anything else she can get her hands on to her mates in LOS :o ......and weekends works in a pub/home and does T.takaways to order ( must admit very good cook)

All goes towards another "tree lie in Chiang Mai" :D

....Me ...cor bier sing nung khuat crup..... :D

My missus after 12 years in Oz speaks fluent English. She learnt quickly through having to communicate in her work that she has.

Actually, when we come to Thailand, Thai's have commented about her accent and that she pauses a bit when talking as she has to think what to say in Thai now!

As I mentioned somewhere here before, she has never wanted to teach ME Thai because she thinks I would pck up a girlie accent like some of our male friends have when speaking Thai. Although, I find it increasingly frustrating not being able to talk with my wife family and I must do something about it.

Cheers BaanOz

The fact that most of us are older than our partners has a bit to do with it, I personally find my retentive cells sadly depleted in my advancing years so its easier for the wife to learn English than moir to learn Thai.

Thats my excuse and I am sticking to it. :o

Ditto that Ivan. Also, my Mrs won't teach me. She wants to spend the time improving her English, not improving my Thai. So now i've found a teacher but 1 lesson a week doesn't really help you to improve at great speed.  :o

They want you to learn Thai to communicate better but do not want you to understand when they are talking about you

Farang roo mak....mai dee!!!

Ditto that Ivan. Also, my Mrs won't teach me. She wants to spend the time improving her English, not improving my Thai. So now i've found a teacher but 1 lesson a week doesn't really help you to improve at great speed.  :D

They want you to learn Thai to communicate better but do not want you to understand when they are talking about you

I think you've hit the nail on the head there John :D When she "yek yek" me, it's never in English, she prefers to do that in Thai :o

That's a stereotypical bar girl response to a farang who can speak Thai, in other words they can't pull the wool over your eyes. If you speak Thai with a 'normal' Thai they are more than impressed that you've taken the time to learn the language.

Edited by Jack Jones

That's a stereotypical bar girl response to a farang who can speak Thai, in other words they can't pull the wool over your eyes. If you speak Thai with a 'normal' Thai they are more than impressed that you've taken the time to learn the language.

My wife would disagree with you on that one. She has told me that many Thai's do not like Falangs who know too much about anything, not just the language. You could be talking about car mechanics, farming, breeding dogs, anything really and when you display a superior knowledge to them they back off and do not want to know any more.

I have seen this once or twice but know it does not apply to most. :o

Been here for 11 years now and can still only speak very limited thai.

My excuse is that I just cannot hear the difference between the tones and that is in a quiet room.

Add on passing motorbikes and a blast of music and I can't understand anything you say in thai.

Old dogs, new tricks.

My wife learnt English at uni in her late teens - early twenties. I've managed to learn a few phrases but I doubt that my Thai will ever come close to her English. Mai Pen Rai...

Within a relationship it's either going to go one way or the other and seeing as most Thais have had at least some training in English since a young age and can already speak to some extent it's a bit obvious which way it's likely to go.

My wife would disagree with you on that one. She has told me that many Thai's do not like Falangs who know too much about anything, not just the language. You could be talking about car mechanics, farming, breeding dogs, anything really and when you display a superior knowledge to them they back off and do not want to know any more.

Interesting - I have to admit I have seen this reaction as well.

When leaving the initial pleasantries and 20 questions reg. my relation to Thailand behind and instead getting into a discussion about facts and knowledge, many Thais are put off when I want to share what knowledge I have, even though I make an effort trying to not directly criticize their opinions or come off as a wise-arse.

I have had a fair amount of exposure to IT-related issues, medicine, history and social sciences.

Knowledge seems to be a sensitive spot for a number of Thai people, more so than I am used to from other countries.

Any Thais in the forum who have any ideas about the reasons for this reaction?

I always try to not be too 'serious' or act superior, avoid making big gestures and also try to not speak too loudly. But it seems something else is required to make people actually want to listen to what you have to say.

Anybody with suggestions for what I may be doing wrong and how I can improve communication?

Maybe Austraylian is easy to learn than Thai... :o

Cheers BaanOz

I would agree as we all know that Americans and Aussies can't talk proper English like what we brits do. :D:D

Oh Yeah like you Brits do , you cant even understand you guys because your accent is so harsh just sounds like you are mumbling. Geez some of you brits get to me . Not all but some .

Anybody with suggestions for what I may be doing wrong and how I can improve communication?

Everytime you present a piece of information say "My Thai friend told me....." and they will no doubt agree and show interest.

Edited by withnail