Good English Breakfast

kenny999

Went there the other day Matt was not there, had egg,bacon and chips, asked for an extra fried egg and got charged 40 bht for it what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! could have gone down the market and bought 24 eggs for that, it's not about the money it's the principle I hate getting ripped off, will I go back there yes and if it happens again wont go back again, not a good way to do business as they might have lost a very good customer.

Was it an ostrich egg or what !!! 55555 :unsure:

Edited by LivinginKata
profanity removed

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went there the other day Matt was not there, had egg,bacon and chips, asked for an extra fried egg and got charged 40 bht for it what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! could have gone down the market and bought 24 eggs for that, it's not about the money it's the principle I hate getting ripped off, will I go back there yes and if it happens again wont go back again, not a good way to do business as they might have lost a very good customer.

Was it an ostrich egg or what !!! 55555 :unsure:

I actually thought it was a golden egg!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I second the Coffee Pot, good breakfast, Aussie style. For many years the Karon Cafe had been my regular breakfast point, but seems to have gone downhill this past year or so (and no nearby parking). Now I go to the Coffee Pot. Kata main road just past the traffic lights and before the PTT gas station.

I just tried The Coffee Pot based on what I read here. I enjoyed the Aussie style part of my breakfast with baked beans but I will NOT be going back based on service. No substitutions ok no biggie so I got a side of hash browns but they were frozen from another day(confirmed by waiter) and they wouldn't give me a glass of water to wash the crappy potatoes down with(only bottled) even though a fresh pitcher was already out nearby nor would they give my friend extra ice for his beverage. In fact the waiter and owner(I believe) started barking across the whole empty place at me about Everything Not Free Free. So I finished my breakfast, went to 7 eleven and bought the cheap scape a bag of ice. Don't they know Americans tip big? Go'day mate.

I miss Don's breakfast in Nai Harn.

Good English Breakfast = Oxymoron

High in Fat

High in Cholesterol

High in Carbohydrates

High in Sodium

Low in nutritional value

Will cause hardening of the arteries hence dehardening of something else

Yep. No Good and certailnly not Proper!

Whole grain cerial, non fat milk and a few laps about the hong non with your tilac will do!!!!!!!!!

High in Fat

High in Cholesterol

High in Carbohydrates

High in Sodium

Low in nutritional value

Whole grain cerial, non fat milk and a few laps about the hong non with your tilac will do!!!!!!!!!

I think you are missing the point here, I and the others do not want to eat an English breakfast every day, but once in a blue moon when you crave something from your own country will not do you any harm!!!!!!!!!

High in Fat

High in Cholesterol

High in Carbohydrates

High in Sodium

Low in nutritional value

I think you are missing the point here, I and the others do not want to eat an English breakfast every day, but once in a blue moon when you crave something from your own country will not do you any harm!!!!!!!!!

I think SR is trolling big time. His English here is fairly reasonable yet look at his red neck posts re the radio stations where his English is attrocious.

I live in Nai Harn and have tried most of the local breakfasts. One stands out amongst the rest.

Morning Coffee

Next to the Da Vinci restaurant (B Zenter Mall) in the middle of the village.

Not cheap at 165 Baht but all quality goods cooked well. Includes proper bread, a common point of failure in many places.

Small and friendly so you can make adjustments to your breakfast without skyward looks from the staff.

My tummy's rumbling - guess where I'm going.

English breakfast

Guinness book of records via BBC news website

And the record for the Largest Commercially Available English Breakfast went to Mario's Cafe Bar in Bolton, Greater Manchester, UK.

For £10.95 customers can tuck into six rashers of bacon, six sausages, four eggs, six slices of bread, five black puddings, mushrooms, a can of beans and tomatoes.

But if they manage the meal in under 20 minutes - it is free.

About 520 baht or so

I had a nice breakfast at La Boheme the other day. The lunch/dinner menu looked fairly interesting with a variety of English, French, Italian & Indian food. It is located in the small group of shops next to the large Home Mart store on Chao Fa East. It has only been open a couple of weeks. On the way to my favourite Thai food place on Saturday I noticed they were already closed at 8pm.

Edited by Valentine

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say the islands still has the best one we hs ( last week and part of this week)

we ordered at Fiddys on rre recomendation of a prev post, not so good.

next best is summer breeze,

and Hemmingways is decent also.

next year when we head down patong way we'll try some of the other places mentioned here.

English breakfast

Guinness book of records via BBC news website

And the record for the Largest Commercially Available English Breakfast went to Mario's Cafe Bar in Bolton, Greater Manchester, UK.

For £10.95 customers can tuck into six rashers of bacon, six sausages, four eggs, six slices of bread, five black puddings, mushrooms, a can of beans and tomatoes.

But if they manage the meal in under 20 minutes - it is free.

About 520 baht or so

post-4641-1156693976.gif red card awarded due to the fact that any breakfast that includes a can of beans and tomatoes is no longer considered "good".

Edited by grumpyoldman

Dunno about that Islander was OK but too much success and it rested on its laurels..

Got served slop in there a few times and stopped going. Not sure if it improved after tho.

First tried the Islander almost 14 years back. Thought the service terrible and the food so-so. Tried again many times over the years as so many people rate it highly. My initial opinion still stands to this day.

As much as it pains me, I too have to concur. Driven by an almost psychotic need for spuds after 3 days of Somchai fayre, I tried this joint as the menu promised a good feed of fawang nosh. Boy, was I disappointed. The staff? I've seen more smiling faces from the immigration staff at Swampy. When the grub turned up I'd thought I'd been given a child's portion and the amount of salt used was probably near a fatal dose. Soggy veg and equally soggy stuffing bought back bad memories of school dinners, and the worst thing is that I left the place still hungry and several baht lighter....mmmm...now, where's that pizza place?...:unsure:

As some may remember, I have been a big fan of the Islander. I haven't been in since April. It's disappointing. I was eating in there regularly but since Dec 09, it changed. I can't put my finger on it. It's a combination of the unsmiling staff, some scuzzy clientele amd a deterioration in food quality. I used to love the garlic & pepper chicken or a red curry for a late breakfast, but no more. :( The "english" breakfast is only English in its blandness. Why bring the toast before the eggs? With the fans going the toast is stone cold by the time the eggs arrive. <deleted> is cumberland sausage and why does it rate such a hefty premium? It tastes the same as the other sausages. The coffee is nescafe swill I think. It's a crime not to get a nice strong cup. I'd gladly pay more for a good cup. The place used to be my little paradise of good food that even my Thai friends liked. Now, it's just like any other place where blandness reigns. Heartbreaking for me.

ps They do seem to have real English sausages whatever those are because I've been there when the fat little Englishman backs his pickup truck down the soi to make a delivery.

Been there since day 1 and still like the food

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a bit out of the way for the Chalong/Rawaii/Nai Harn crew but....

Ive been going to the Surin Bay Inn at Surin beach a fair bit. Im suspecting there is an Australian influence there. (Australian network on TV constantly and Australian steaks advertised on the wall sort of gives it away)....but the food is perfect...especially the english and american breakfasts......poached eggs with the hint of vinager...the sausages are bang on....all the extras are great.....the french toast is to die for. They have corn flakes and muesli also.... Service is great. I would go as far as to say its the best breakfast in Phuket....my close second is the mega breakfast at molly malones in patong on the beach road....mollys is impressive because of the size factor....and pretty good quality beans and mushrooms ect.

On the other hand i went to Indo Cheen in Kalim 2 days ago.......It was the lowest worst heap of S**T breakfast I have ever seen.....3 coffees and 2 servings of poached eggs on stale bread with 7-11 sausages was 900 baht....plus staff were hopeless.....If you feel like giving yourself an uppercut then go there

Just to add to this.....the ONLY thing i can fault the surin bay inn about is...they only give one peice of toast with the hot breakfast...but the staff are so good there im sure they would be understanding if you asked for 2 and im sure there wouldnt be a gouge :rolleyes:

I know this is a bit out of the way for the Chalong/Rawaii/Nai Harn crew but....

Ive been going to the Surin Bay Inn at Surin beach a fair bit. Im suspecting there is an Australian influence there. (Australian network on TV constantly and Australian steaks advertised on the wall sort of gives it away)....but the food is perfect...especially the english and american breakfasts......poached eggs with the hint of vinager...the sausages are bang on....all the extras are great.....the french toast is to die for. They have corn flakes and muesli also.... Service is great. I would go as far as to say its the best breakfast in Phuket....my close second is the mega breakfast at molly malones in patong on the beach road....mollys is impressive because of the size factor....and pretty good quality beans and mushrooms ect.

On the other hand i went to Indo Cheen in Kalim 2 days ago.......It was the lowest worst heap of S**T breakfast I have ever seen.....3 coffees and 2 servings of poached eggs on stale bread with 7-11 sausages was 900 baht....plus staff were hopeless.....If you feel like giving yourself an uppercut then go there

Where exactly is that?...Ill give it a try tomorrow :rolleyes:

The best English breakfast I have found any where is at Hemmingways (Patong) 195bht big mug of tea, 2 sausages, 2 toast, beans, fried bread, 2 eggs, bacon, fried potatoes, excellent.

The best English breakfast I have found any where is at Hemmingways (Patong) 195bht big mug of tea, 2 sausages, 2 toast, beans, fried bread, 2 eggs, bacon, fried potatoes, excellent.

At the Banzaan market, ground floor. Behind Jungceylon.

You wont be dissapointed absolutely the best English breakfast I have had since being in Thailand,

You wont be dissapointed absolutely the best English breakfast I have had since being in Thailand,

Used to do a pretty good (value not high end) mixed grill too..

I used to live in Nanai Rd, i tried Hemmingway when they first opened and let me tell you i think the food was crap and so was the service, happy to hear it’s getting better, not that i will be back i promised myself that years ago

I used to live in Nanai Rd, i tried Hemmingway when they first opened and let me tell you i think the food was crap and so was the service, happy to hear it's getting better, not that i will be back i promised myself that years ago

Have to agree. Last time there it was overpriced and bad food. But it's been a few years, maybe time to give them another try.

I used to live in Nanai Rd, i tried Hemmingway when they first opened and let me tell you i think the food was crap and so was the service, happy to hear it's getting better, not that i will be back i promised myself that years ago

Have to agree. Last time there it was overpriced and bad food. But it's been a few years, maybe time to give them another try.

we were there ( Hemmingway ) 3 weeks ago, english breakfast was second best IMHO to the islands ( soi patong resort)

Hemmingway s set lunch special and salad kung was good value for the price

• 1 month later...

Soi Dtaiet in Chalong has lots of signs with 'English Breakfast'. I suspect they would be pretty good, because of all the muay thai fighters there. It's the soi that has Tiger Muay Thai on Chao Fa Rd West.

Tried Tony's (you can't miss the sign & it has a phone box out the front)...Good service, they speak good English, Tony appears swatting flies on occasion. Only downbeat issue is da boyz crunching their way through chicken bones & looking seriously dangerous. LOL

Happy Days on Chalong Pier Rd advertises an English Breakfast, but I haven't tried it. They have Sunday roast with all the trimmings, authentic, including Yorkshire Pudding and mashed potatoes. Yuk. The rest of it is lovely when you're hanging out for Western food.

If you're desperate for real bread, try Bake on Chao Fa Rd West. It's new, sensational decor, the bread is AUTHENTIC.

• 10 months later...