Working In Thailand

It has come to my attention that there are certain jobs that foreigners are not permited to do, like being a commercial driver such as I am here in the US. So if someone can tell me exactly what I can do maybe pharmacy technician or something else in medicine. I don't have a degree and don't want one so teaching is out. The exchange is about 31 baht to 1 USD. Not knowing the economy or the wage scale in Bangcok, I cannot give you an accurate estimate of how much money I would want to make. What I can tell you is that a licenses Pharmacy Techician in my area would make about $400/week gross or about 12,400 baht. How does this or any other job I would be allowed to do compare with those numbers?

Any information you can give me will be greatly appreciated. This is not something I am planning to do soon. It's an expensive venture to say the least. I do however need to start doing my homework now so I know what I'm getting into and what type of Visa to apply for. You may respond either here or to [email protected]

• Like 1

There is no chance you will get a job as a Pharmacy technician as others have said. I am not trying to be rude but with your skills I don't see the potential for you to get any job in Thailand other than teaching English which you mention you don't want. My wife and I would love to be living and working in Thailand but there are no good jobs I know of either and I do speak read and write Thai quite well. Personally I am targeting a move to Singapore within about 5 years or just tough it out here and retire in Thailand though Thailand is changing and that plan may change too once I reach retirement age.

Hi

Increase your chances by:

1. Getting a recognized education and experience within the same field.

2. Learn Thai.

3. Spend time in Thailand (not in a bar)

Since you seem quite inclined to do anything that involves a school (just assuming here) I find your chances very slim to say the least....

There is no chance you will get a job as a Pharmacy technician as others have said. I am not trying to be rude but with your skills I don't see the potential for you to get any job in Thailand other than teaching English which you mention you don't want. My wife and I would love to be living and working in Thailand but there are no good jobs I know of either and I do speak read and write Thai quite well. Personally I am targeting a move to Singapore within about 5 years or just tough it out here and retire in Thailand though Thailand is changing and that plan may change too once I reach retirement age.

Thanks for the input, all of it welcome by you and anyone else with something CONSRUCTIVE say. Negative doesn't always mean uncostructive. It sounds like the 2 major obstacles in my way for pharmacy technian are not being able to speak, read and write the language(although I have a marital relative there who is a native that will help me in that regard) and the lack of demand. I am trained (college) and experienced in the field both hospital and retail. I am licenced and certified. I know that will mean absolutely nothing there. I may have to just live off my monthly check of 1200USD/mo until I find something. I don't necessarily mind teaching but I don't have a degree. If there is a way to get around that thenI am willing to give it serious thought.

I'm sure there must be something I can do, like maybe on a trash truck not as a driver for example. Maybe something simple like operating a forklift loading/unloading trucks.

Is there a list somewhere of jobs that are restricted to Thai's only? If so, where can I find one?

Should you choose to, and I'm hoping you do because you sound knowledgeable, intelligent and willing to help, you may reply either here or by email. I perfer email but do as you please.

Thanks again.

Ken

Hi

Increase your chances by:

1. Getting a recognized education and experience within the same field.

2. Learn Thai.

3. Spend time in Thailand (not in a bar)

Since you seem quite inclined to do anything that involves a school (just assuming here) I find your chances very slim to say the least....

I'm willing to do almost anything that I'm allowed to do. Not knowing what's restricted to Thai's only(is it native or any citizen, native or not), it makes it a bit difficult for me. I have already found out that my #1 interest, being a commercial driver is out then my next would be pharmacy technician. I am trained(college), licensed, certified and experienced both hospital and retail. However, due to the low demand as I am told and my inabiIity to read, write, and speak the language,am rulng that out I do however have a marital family member who is native Thai and is willng to help with that( my brother married a native Thai).

None of my time in Thailand will be spent in a bar, I don't drink anymore. I quit that about 25 yrears ago. This is intended as a permanent move.

If you have any further information for me at any time please feel free to share it with me. Either post it here or send me an email. I prefer email but I am not in a position to be picky.

Thanks for your assistance.

Ken

Hi,

here's a list of jobs you can't do.http://www.ethailand...dex.php?id=1836

Also you need to be aware that you will need a work permit to do anything, even if it's unpaid work.

What constitutes 'work' has been debated many times but, from what I can gather, it's pretty much anything other than sleeping, and I think sleeping will be on the list of prohibited professions soon too! :)

Good luck with your plans and I hope you find this forum as useful as I have.

Cheers,

Biff

Oh and the list is restricted to Thai nationals, which I guess is what you're referring to when you ask about native or citizen. It's not like other countries where you can become a citizen relatively easily, given long-term residency and meeting the required criteria. You can get various visas and permissions to stay for periods of time, work permits etc. some can even get what's called Permanent Residency but that takes years and very very few people can achieve that status. Citizenship? You can pretty much forget about that I'm afraid.

Edited by bifftastic

I'm sure there must be something I can do, like maybe on a trash truck not as a driver for example. Maybe something simple like operating a forklift loading/unloading trucks.

Is there a list somewhere of jobs that are restricted to Thai's only? If so, where can I find one?

I have never seen a list, but I am 100% sure (ok, 99.999999999999....%) that you will not be able to do anything like work on a trash truck or operate a forklift. There are so many Thais willing to do manual labor, and there are plenty of trained/experienced workers, so there's no reason they need to hire you. And hypothetically, even if you could get a job like that, would you really want to work your butt off for $4 or $5/day? You'd probably spend more than that just getting to/from work and paying for lunch!

When people are telling you "no, no, no" about the jobs you're suggesting, we're not trying to be rude or negative. People who live here are simply telling you the truth so that you can have a realistic idea of what to expect if you move here.

Here's a suggestion (which might not be relevant since I'm not particularly knowledgable in this sector).

I note there is a demand for medical coders who can perform their work from a 'remote' location. I don't think that this type of work is a 'scam', but that there is a genuine need in the USA for offshore, qualified medical coders to undertake this type of work.

With your pharmacy technician background, I guess it would not be too difficult for you to obtain the necessary formal qualifications in medical coding, and even to arrange remote employment prior to moving to Thailand.

You would technically still need a work permit for working on your computer from your house in Thailand, but I'll let you decide how to figure out a solution :)

You would also be able to manage your remote work around a possible 'real' job, which could be teaching English in a hospital or medical training college (I have seen vacancies of this type before).

Simon

Thanks for the input, all of it welcome by you and anyone else with something CONSRUCTIVE say. Negative doesn't always mean uncostructive. It sounds like the 2 major obstacles in my way for pharmacy technian are not being able to speak, read and write the language(although I have a marital relative there who is a native that will help me in that regard) and the lack of demand. I am trained (college) and experienced in the field both hospital and retail. I am licenced and certified. I know that will mean absolutely nothing there. I may have to just live off my monthly check of 1200USD/mo until I find something. I don't necessarily mind teaching but I don't have a degree. If there is a way to get around that thenI am willing to give it serious thought.

Should you choose to, and I'm hoping you do because you sound knowledgeable, intelligent and willing to help, you may reply either here or by email. I perfer email but do as you please.

Thanks again.

Ken

whats the problem here?

you have 1200$ coming in. get an apt for $200 a month and you have $1000 leftover to enjoy.